New to the Lingo...please help clarify tips/hints

mythreegals

Hello,

my girls and I just started this past weekend. We only found one cache, and that was only after I was able to contact one person and gain feedback. I would have never even thought to look under the light pole box! This leads me to believe there are other tips or hints I'm not "getting" just because we're new. I can't remember all the buzz I words I saw in the different cache descriptions, but if anyone would be kind enough to enlighten me, that would be wonderful. We are excited to join this, but our initial disappointment was frustrating.

Appreciate any tips or hints.

thanks,

cj

Hello,

my girls and I just started this past weekend. We only found one cache, and that was only after I was able to contact one person and gain feedback. I would have never even thought to look under the light pole box! This leads me to believe there are other tips or hints I'm not "getting" just because we're new. I can't remember all the buzz I words I saw in the different cache descriptions, but if anyone would be kind enough to enlighten me, that would be wonderful. We are excited to join this, but our initial disappointment was frustrating.

thanks,

cj

Go to YouTube and check out some GeoCaching vids. HeadHardHat has some very good ones. The first LPC (Lamp Post Cache) I was in the middle of the parking lot leaning against a light pole. A car drove right up beside me and they had Handicapped plates on there car. I thought why in the world would handicapped people park this far from the store? After they set there for a few minutes they got out of the car, smiled , and said have you found it yet? I said nope, and they said look here, and liftecd the skirt on the pole. Cache and Learn

Hello,

thanks,

cj

My first advice would be to start with the caches that are regular sized or bigger. The smaller the container the more hiding spots are possible. Secondly, look for things with a difficulty of 1 or 1.5. These will be easier to find. Third, read the listing and the hints AND the logs carefully. Some people are more cryptic, but often the hints will narrow the possibilities considerably. Look for caches that have been found recently, too. Fourth, look for things that look out of place. I prefer to search in non-urban areas. A pile of sticks, or rocks, leaves piled up at the bottom of a tree are often good guesses. Stumps are very popular as they often have a hollow part. Also, if you are close, and you see a tree that is larger than all the others, or is misshappen, or is otherwise noticeable, that is also a good bet. Fifth. When you get to GZ (Ground Zero), think "Where would I hide a cache? Or if you know the type of container, "Where woudl I hide a 2 kg peanut butter jar?"

Also, you could ask for a guide. The geocachers are very friendly and I am sure that you can find someone who would gladly group up with you to get you started.

Hello,

thanks,

cj

Congratulations on finding the lamp post cache. You now know where 50% of all micros are hidden. :( Please don't add to that number. Originality is a good thing.

As for the term used in logs and elsewhere, check out GeoLex.

Edited by Prime Suspect

I have kind of a phobia about meeting new people in a group setting, but I recently forced myself to go to a chili cookoff that a member of the local geocaching organization hosted. I expected to meet nice people, but they exceeded my expectations in the nice area. Several of them came over sat down and chatted and made a real effort to make sure I felt welcomed into the group. Not only are local cachers nice people, but they also posess a lot of knowledge they can share. So my best advise would be to get in touch with your local geocaching organization and dive right into this great game/sport/obsession.

If you are not sure how to get in touch with your local geocaching organization you can always post a request for information in your regions Forum area. You will find the regional Forums located about half way down the main Forum page that lists all the different Forums.

Wecome and may all your caches be exactly what you want!!! :)

P.S. In case you're a busy person and don't feel like searching the internet here's a link to HeadHardHats videos on YouTube. Like a previous poster stated he makes excellent tutorial videos. The link to his YouTube videos (they are 100% free and no registration required so it can't be beat!) is here: http://www.youtube.com/user/headhardhat . His videos are not long and boring so you don't have to worry about that. The ones I've watched were about 9 or 10 minutes long and he is a very good tutor for newer cachers like you and me. Between watching HeadHardHats videos and bookmarking the web page for Prime Suspects Geolex that he gave you a link for you'll be off to a great start. Welcome!!!! :)