Lake Cache

Hi I was thinking of placing a cache in a lake. The lake is shallow and you should be able to see it using snorkel equipment. What are some guidelines in doing this? Is there anything i should or shouldn't do? Then there is the issue of anchoring it. Just thought it would be a sweet summer cache on a hot day. All input is appreciated.

thanks

You need to think this through. What size cache are you wanting to place? How is the finder supposed to retrieve it to sign the log? Ar you wanting a waterproof container? How are you going to ensure it stays waterproof? What are the results of the seal failing or a lazy cacher not securing the lid properly. Is this going to be in an area where boaters frequent (causing a navigational hazard), or will this be in an area where frequent swimmers would find it by accident?

Just a few things to consider before getting to the final step of anchoring.

I've been watching a cache here in U.K. where you have to dive into a lake and find the laminated sheet with the final co-ords - it is attached to something sitting on the bottom. The final container is on dry land, so it gets around the problems of finding something watertight and all the related considerations of how swaps are done etc.

Unfortunately this particular cache has been temp disabled for quite a while and it may get archived if something doesn't get sorted out soon. :(

MrsB

I've been watching a cache here in U.K. where you have to dive into a lake and find the laminated sheet with the final co-ords - it is attached to something sitting on the bottom. The final container is on dry land, so it gets around the problems of finding something watertight and all the related considerations of how swaps are done etc.

Unfortunately this particular cache has been temp disabled for quite a while and it may get archived if something doesn't get sorted out soon. :(

MrsB

That is a great Idea I think that is what i will do. Then we don't have to worry about "lazy cachers" as scuba dude Had said. Yeah a wet log would not be a happy log. All good things to think about.

Thanks for the info.

One thing to remember is to have whatever is underwater moored very well. You don't want to have the object being able to float around and move.

I have used a soda bottle preform in an underwater cache with good results. It is easy to screwe the lid on, so it is less likely to be replaced incorrectly.

GCXX5M is exactly that kind of cache in the Kalamazoo MI area. You could contact brp000 and ask them how they did it.

Yeah this is exactly what i was thinking about doing. So my question to you guys then is doesn't it have to be a 5 for the terrain because it requires special equipment?? Or is that all up to the hider? I am gonna try to contact brp000 and see how he seals the box and everything. Thanks for your help guys.

This one has been hidden for almost two years and still dry, checked on it three weeks ago Geo MoJo #7 // da beast within

It’s a large Pelican case with vent, inside of a double 50 cal ammo box with hasp installed that was treated with liquid truck liner, it is weighted down really well 100 lbs plus to keep it there.

and yes it was hidden with permission, it not in a river channel, can you tell. You got to want to be in there really really bad

Joe

This one has been hidden for almost two years and still dry, checked on it three weeks ago Geo MoJo #7 // da beast within

It’s a large Pelican case with vent, inside of a double 50 cal ammo box with hasp installed that was treated with liquid truck liner, it is weighted down really well 100 lbs plus to keep it there.

and yes it was hidden with permission, it not in a river channel, can you tell. You got to want to be in there really really bad

Joe

That is truly awesome i would love to do that cache. I think that it would be sweet I am gonna make one similar to that in MN. Won't really be able to access it in the winter but should be fun in the summer. Did you read that last found log oh so awesome.

Joe

That is truly awesome i would love to do that cache. I think that it would be sweet I am gonna make one similar to that in MN. Won't really be able to access it in the winter but should be fun in the summer. Did you read that last found log oh so awesome.

In your case, I would probably disable it when the water got cold and not renable it until late spring. While I am sure someone will chime to say "you don't really have to find every cache" or something along those lines would treat a cache which required immersion in water a bit different. Almost anyone can assess the risk pretty accurately for a cache that on the side of a cliff, or high up in a tree, but based on all the stories I've read about inappropriately dressed people going out in canoes or kayaks in the early spring and not living to tell about it, I think that there are a significant number of people that underestimate the risks of cold water.

Joe

In your case, I would probably disable it when the water got cold and not renable it until late spring. While I am sure someone will chime to say "you don't really have to find every cache" or something along those lines would treat a cache which required immersion in water a bit different. Almost anyone can assess the risk pretty accurately for a cache that on the side of a cliff, or high up in a tree, but based on all the stories I've read about inappropriately dressed people going out in canoes or kayaks in the early spring and not living to tell about it, I think that there are a significant number of people that underestimate the risks of cold water.

Very very valid point i was thinking the same i don't want someone to get hurt or die due to the cold water that is a serious thing. I don't want to hear about anyone dying while geocaching on one of my caches.

Joe

Very very valid point i was thinking the same i don't want someone to get hurt or die due to the cold water that is a serious thing. I don't want to hear about anyone dying while geocaching on one of my caches.

Geo MoJo #7 // da beast within // will be available year round, as I said you really really have to want to do it. as other have said you do not have to find all the caches that are out there

Joe

edited to add posted from wrong account but what does it matter

Edited by Max Cacher

Too cold? Nah, that's what they invented wetsuits for. :)

It is the responsibility of the finder to judge whether they are adequately prepared for the current conditions when they set out to find a cache, and to turn around if the hunt turns out to entail more than they expected.

Hi I was thinking of placing a cache in a lake. The lake is shallow and you should be able to see it using snorkel equipment. What are some guidelines in doing this? Is there anything i should or shouldn't do? Then there is the issue of anchoring it. Just thought it would be a sweet summer cache on a hot day. All input is appreciated.

thanks

Successful lake hide..

http://bart.flentjefamily.com/page/GC1CKTX.aspx