Very Disappointing

kingtutley

I started this geocaching business not long ago. I stumbled on this web site by accident and thought this was a great idea. I put in my location adn alot of cahes showed up within walking distance from my house. Fantastic - or so I thought.

I spent 4 hours on 2 separate days (today and yesterday) looking for a total of 10 caches. I found exactly diddly. Either I'm dumb as a bag of wet hair, or these things are placed in such obscure locations that only the one who put it there could ever really find it.

Here is a list of the caches I was looking for.

GC1J78Q

GC17MH0

GC1MY24

GC1KK91

GC18TAA

GC1HJC4

GCK20K

GC1AWDY

GC1J787

GC1KK93

This is completely ridiculous. I should have been able to locate at least ONE of these things. Not ALL of them were micro. This has just about put me off this business. I thought it would be a good thing to get my kids into, but this is a horrible thing for them. It's really a horrible thing for me. Maybe in a group or something, but really...... Very disappointed!

I started this geocaching business not long ago. I stumbled on this web site by accident and thought this was a great idea. I put in my location adn alot of cahes showed up within walking distance from my house. Fantastic - or so I thought.

I spent 4 hours on 2 separate days (today and yesterday) looking for a total of 10 caches. I found exactly diddly. Either I'm dumb as a bag of wet hair, or these things are placed in such obscure locations that only the one who put it there could ever really find it.

GC1J78Q

GC17MH0

GC1MY24

GC1KK91

GC18TAA

GC1HJC4

GCK20K

GC1AWDY

GC1J787

GC1KK93

This is completely ridiculous. I should have been able to locate at least ONE of these things. Not ALL of them were micro. This has just about put me off this business. I thought it would be a good thing to get my kids into, but this is a horrible thing for them. It's really a horrible thing for me. Maybe in a group or something, but really...... Very disappointed!

Just wondering do you have a GPS ore were you looking with the info that you got off the web page?

Here are some tricks that I did while starting out. I looked at the caches you were going for and a few were micros. Definitely stay away from those for the first time. Another thing i would say is look for ammo ones that say what the container is so you know what you are looking for ( AMMO CAN PAINTED) or something of that nature. It definitely can be discouraging. Also make sure you are doing difficulty levels of 1-1.5 2 at max. Hope this helps.

I notice a lot of people start doing geocaching with their kids. Are there any special guidelines for people starting this hobby with their children? It seems I read a lot of horror stories in here about people starting out with their kids and not finding much if anything. They get discouraged and not only do the adults get burned right out of the gate the kids get a bad impression too.

I would suggest rather than taking your kids out at the very beginning try looking for a few on your own then take your kids looking for the caches you've already found and let them see what they can do...when you think about it makes sense. No need in giving the kids a bad perspective on geocaching. Nothing in life is foolproof. Geocaching certainly is no different.

I see you are just down the road from me! OK, so Smyrna is not right next door. Don't give up. My first was an ammo can and it took me 25 minutes to find.

I would also visit the forums of the Greater East Tennessee Geocachers Club since their members hid the caches you are looking for. I have not met any of them but I browse their forums and have posted a few times. They are a very hospitable group. They are also the most eventingest group I have ever seen. Look at their page and you will see a list of upcoming events. Attend one and get to know them. Someone will show you what to do.

http://thegetgc.freeforums.org/index.php

Just wondering do you have a GPS ore were you looking with the info that you got off the web page?

Yes, I have a GPS. Wouldn't make much sense to try this without one. I have the Garmin Etrex Legend, with WGS 84 turned on.

I even tried a dry run using a bucket that I put in the neighbors back yard, marked it on my gps, turned it off, went to my front yard (about 300 yrads away) and turned it back on and went to find it. When I got to the place it said I should be on top of it, I was standing within 2 feet of it. I figured this was enough to alolow me to get out there and find something. I can see I was way off on that idea. I might try again some other day, but not finding something that may or may not be there and may or may not be bigger than a pencil and may or may not be under or inside of something makes it real bloody hard to find and perhaps not really worth the hunt. Haven't made up my mind as yet. I don't generally give up very easily, but this was a little more discouraging than I expected.

I notice a lot of people start doing geocaching with their kids. Are there any special guidelines for people starting this hobby with their children? It seems I read a lot of horror stories in here about people starting out with their kids and not finding much if anything. They get discouraged and not only do the adults get burned right out of the gate the kids get a bad impression too.

I would suggest rather than taking your kids out at the very beginning try looking for a few on your own then take your kids looking for the caches you've already found and let them see what they can do...when you think about it makes sense. No need in giving the kids a bad perspective on geocaching. Nothing in life is foolproof. Geocaching certainly is no different.

This is really a good idea. If I had more time and was able to get out there and do it without them I would. However, I work 5 days a week from 7am to roughly 6pm. Then I go get the kids from school and I have them the rest of the short evening for dinner and homework and then all weekend with no help as my wife works nights. So, while I do appreciate the idea, I don't think I can pull that one off.

GC1J78Q

GC17MH0

GC1MY24

GC1KK91

GC18TAA

GC1HJC4

GCK20K

GC1AWDY

GC1J787

GC1KK93

because you weren't good at it YOUR FIRST TIME TRYING that makes it a horrible thing for you and your kids? it has put you off this business? you didn't give us any idea how you are going about this, with or without gps, if you know if your gps is set correctly, etc. when you say it's completely ridiculous what do you mean? that geocaching is ridiculous? i doubt it, there are over 700,000 around the world and many many people that enjoy it. take a deep breath, count to ten, then come back and try again. there is always tons of help on here if we knew what you needed help with.

Here are some tricks that I did while starting out. I looked at the caches you were going for and a few were micros. Definitely stay away from those for the first time. Another thing i would say is look for ammo ones that say what the container is so you know what you are looking for ( AMMO CAN PAINTED) or something of that nature. It definitely can be discouraging. Also make sure you are doing difficulty levels of 1-1.5 2 at max. Hope this helps.

Let me ask you something. If there were an ammo can out there somewhere, what makes anyone think that some pos wouldnt just walk off with it? I mean, not one of those who is actually looking for it as part of this 'game', but rather some person who happened to spy it. There are more of them than there are of us, that much I know. That was in the back of my mind every time I went looking.

The one I really thought I could find gave clues for a tree of 3 with a thin black line. It was tethered, in other words. I still couldn't find it and it makes me think that many of these caches are not there any more. The micros might be, as one of them was apparently the size of an SD card case (bloody small). I'm not surprised I couldn't find that one really.

I'd echo the calm down comment made above, you're too excited about this. Most caches last a good long life, the fact you couldn't find it and were looking for it speaks volumes! I highly doubt all 10 you looked for were muggled, not likely at all. Cachers use camo to hide our containers, bark, leaves, sometimes man-made that looks real, sometimes real things that aren't as they appear.

As was recommended, start with a regular sized cache with a rating of 1.5/1.5 and get the hang of it, also, make sure to read the logs, the description and the hints, this will let you know i the cache was found recently, what experience others might have had and the hint often is great help!! Write the info you think might be needed, or print the cache page off and take it with you, this is handy when having problems in the field as well!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

because you weren't good at it YOUR FIRST TIME TRYING that makes it a horrible thing for you and your kids? it has put you off this business? you didn't give us any idea how you are going about this, with or without gps, if you know if your gps is set correctly, etc. when you say it's completely ridiculous what do you mean? that geocaching is ridiculous? i doubt it, there are over 700,000 around the world and many many people that enjoy it. take a deep breath, count to ten, then come back and try again. there is always tons of help on here if we knew what you needed help with.

Look, no disrespect or malice intended in the tone that no doubt will come across here, but I'm no stranger to wandering around in the woods. I have used my gps on many occasions to get myself out of the woods when my map was, for whatever reason, no available. I also generally travel using my map, compass and triangulation. I know how this works. You want to know what I need help with: finding one of these caches. Very simply put.

GC1J78Q

GC17MH0

GC1MY24

GC1KK91

GC18TAA

GC1HJC4

GCK20K

GC1AWDY

GC1J787

GC1KK93

The first few caches you listed are micros or small. Try looking for the larger sized caches first!

I didn't find most of the ones I went after when I started too. It gets easier once you've found a few, because you'll know what to look for.

Lots of people have their walk off, the ones that don't walk off don't because they're kind of difficult to find! Read the logs too, if it's been found in the past few days there's a good chance it's still hanging around.

We all get Did Not Finds some times. If they were al easy it would quickly become boring. I cache with my 2 preteen children and half te time one or two of them aren't interested. At least untilm the cache comes up, then it's " what's inside???

the questin " is it still there" is always in the back of my mind. I'd recommend the following next trip:

1. read the logs from the previous finders. I usually read them after my first visit. Not becauser I'm a purist but bacause they often make much more sense if I've seen the terrain.

2. restrict your initial searches to mediums or larges. Micros can be frustrating, especially the custom containers. I've seen some advertised that were hidden in a pine cone. Nearly impossible to find unless you known that's what the hider is accustom to using.

3. Restrict your searches to those rated 1/1. No sense tromping through the brush and thorns to come up enpty. Try those located near roadways so you know it's not going to take a large investment of time.

4. Decrypt the hints.

5. restict your searches to those that have been found in the last 5-10 days. Less likely to have been lost or stolen, although it happens more than most people care to admit.

6. Have fun. If it's not fun, put it aside and come back in a few weeks. Nobodu's judging you, nobodu even kno0ws youve not found the cache unless ou tell them. Perhaps you can "accidently schwedule a family picnic inthe woods near a stream in closse proximity to a chahe. Mention it's there and see if anyone wants to search. If so, read then previous logs and any hints to the family and let them take turns looking.

Look, no disrespect or malice intended in the tone that no doubt will come across here, but I'm no stranger to wandering around in the woods. I have used my gps on many occasions to get myself out of the woods when my map was, for whatever reason, no available. I also generally travel using my map, compass and triangulation. I know how this works. You want to know what I need help with: finding one of these caches. Very simply put.

Usually, if you know you need to apologize for your tone before you even post the reply, you might think to change the tone! People are here offering help and you nip back at them. Please, calm down and relax....and listen to what people are wanting to tell you (that is why you posted, right??)!

Here are some tips that are generally recommended for people just starting out.

1. Stick to Regular sized caches at first.

2. Stick to caches that are 1 or 1.5 (max) difficulty and terrain.

3. Choose caches that have a number of recent finds.

4. Read some of the recent logs to see if the finders point out anything about the hide.

5. Use your GPS unit to get you within 30 feet or so and then put it away and start looking around the area for hiding places, things that look out of place, or other things like that.

6. Don't get discouraged.

Usually, if you know you need to apologize for your tone before you even post the reply, you might think to change the tone! People are here offering help and you nip back at them. Please, calm down and relax....and listen to what people are wanting to tell you (that is why you posted, right??)!

See, that's what I meant. You assumed I was "nipping". No, I was giving a llittle hostory and background.

godbye.

Here are some tips that are generally recommended for people just starting out.

1. Stick to Regular sized caches at first.

2. Stick to caches that are 1 or 1.5 (max) difficulty and terrain.

3. Choose caches that have a number of recent finds.

4. Read some of the recent logs to see if the finders point out anything about the hide.

5. Use your GPS unit to get you within 30 feet or so and then put it away and start looking around the area for hiding places, things that look out of place, or other things like that.

6. Don't get discouraged.

If you follow these steps you should be successful! You could also post in your local forum and tag along with someone just ot show you the ropes and check out your setup...

I even tried a dry run using a bucket that I put in the neighbors back yard, marked it on my gps, turned it off, went to my front yard (about 300 yrads away) and turned it back on and went to find it. When I got to the place it said I should be on top of it, I was standing within 2 feet of it. I figured this was enough to alolow me to get out there and find something.

A potential mistake of novices is expecting this kind of accuracy. The cache was hidden under different conditions with a different sat alignment. Your unit will usually give you 10-30 ft accuracy. The unit of the hider had a similar inaccuracy, so the cache can potentially be 60+ feet from where your GPS says it is.

So when you get in close pay less attention to what your GPS is telling you and more to what your senses are telling you. Look around and think about where you would hide a container of that size in that area.

Let me ask you something. If there were an ammo can out there somewhere, what makes anyone think that some pos wouldnt just walk off with it? I mean, not one of those who is actually looking for it as part of this 'game', but rather some person who happened to spy it. There are more of them than there are of us, that much I know. That was in the back of my mind every time I went looking.

It happens, but caches are usually hidden well enough that someone who is just passing through the area won't find it. I'm not saying it won't be missing. I'd say probably 10 percent of caches are missing at any given time. The percentage is higher in urban areas and lower in remote areas.

You want to know what I need help with: finding one of these caches. Very simply put.

As I mentioned above, its rare that the cache will be right where your GPS says it is. Consider the size of the cache when you reach ground zero. If it's a regular or small sized cache look around for hollow tree stumps, alongside and under down trees and rock crevices. Look around for something that might be out of place. Could be a pile of sticks, rocks or leaves. Again, look for potential hiding places and ignore your GPS (to a point).

If its a micro, they are often magnetic so check guardrails, traffic signs, fire hydrants and park benches. You may need to feel underneath or behind things. Also check knot holes in trees and look inside bushes and evergreens. They are often hanging inside like a Christmas ornament.

After a while you'll be so attuned to the usual hiding places that 80 percent of the time you'll walk right up to the cache.

Edited by briansnat

Wow... Some of the folks here are being a little rude. Someone came in here asking for help and around half of these replies are judgemental or fairly condescending. People also seem to be ignoring what people have written before and repeating things.

My advice (and I hope no one else said it!) is to either find someone who has already gone and been successful, or get a larger group. It's pretty cool you took the initiative after basically stumbling upon the website. I know that I probably wouldn't have found any if I hadn't been introduced to it first by a friend. That may not be an option, of course, so I would echo the "read previous logs" post.

There is some really quality advice here. Sorry you have to filter it through some rather obnoxious noise.

Wow... Some of the folks here are being a little rude. Someone came in here asking for help and around half of these replies are judgemental or fairly condescending. People also seem to be ignoring what people have written before and repeating things.

My advice (and I hope no one else said it!) is to either find someone who has already gone and been successful, or get a larger group. It's pretty cool you took the initiative after basically stumbling upon the website. I know that I probably wouldn't have found any if I hadn't been introduced to it first by a friend. That may not be an option, of course, so I would echo the "read previous logs" post.

There is some really quality advice here. Sorry you have to filter it through some rather obnoxious noise.

Rude? judgmental? condescending? really! Repeating things? really! Yeah, lately there has been some obnoxious noise in this thread.

Jim

Edited by jholly

GC1J78Q

GC17MH0

GC1MY24

GC1KK91

GC18TAA

GC1HJC4

GCK20K

GC1AWDY

GC1J787

GC1KK93

A good many of those you listed are micros. I've been doing this a year and those are still tough sometimes.

Ran a PQ of that area that kept diff/terr below 1.5 and filtered to only larger containers. Some of these even list they are meant for families with small hunters in tow.

GC20B7

GCMHTR

GCXD8Q

GCH3J3

GC1B0V0

GCGDC3

GC1J5DH

GCV8JF

Yes. Breathe deeply. Might try taking your own advice. You'd be surprised how often I hear the word 'ridiculous' whilst geocaching! I've been known to use it myself!

OP, some good advice here. Start with some easy caches, and develop some geosense. (Of course, I started off with a 2.5/3.5, and I was hooked!)

The one I really thought I could find gave clues for a tree of 3 with a thin black line. It was tethered, in other words. I still couldn't find it and it makes me think that many of these caches are not there any more. The micros might be, as one of them was apparently the size of an SD card case (bloody small). I'm not surprised I couldn't find that one really.

Look at the logs and see if recently there are a lot of did not finds. Then this may be the case that it has been taken or muggled as we say.

GC1J78Q

GC17MH0

GC1MY24

GC1KK91

GC18TAA

GC1HJC4

GCK20K

GC1AWDY

GC1J787

GC1KK93

Have a beer, or whatever your break beverage of choice is, sit back, and cool off.

After 5 years, I still manage, more often than I'm gonna admit here, to not find ammo boxes.

Sounds like you may have been too eager, and expected the caches to leap out at you hollering "here we are!!"

Naw, I don't think you can commit geocide without any finds or hides.

IF the OP is still reading his own thread.... Don't give up. If they were all really that easy, not many people would be playing this game. Many cachers camoflage and hide the container as well as possible, simply to prevent it from "walking off". This also makes it that much harder to find for us.

Don't give up yet. There is a brand new cache about 5 miles from me. I have been looking for it 4 times already. I have spent hours looking for this one cache. The CO even told me what it is and where it was hidden. I went there today and STILL couldnt find it. But I don't get mad, I just keeping looking until I find it.

A couple of things here:

First, I would like to thank all the folks locally who have gone out of their way to offer support. This is something that I am accustomed to in the hiking/backpacking world, but I don't usually find it elsewhere. The level of support is usually comensurate with the level of "familydom" one can find within that particular community. I think all those who offered.

Second, I would like to thank those who posted here with their ideas, thoughts and suggestions. I am not a maroon and am not so opinionated that I do not recognize a good idea even in the face of my own repugnant behavior.

That said, I knew going in that it would not be easy to find these things; however, I did expect to find at least one of them. My disappointment was met, unfortunately, with something I was not expecting. Not all the replies contained constructive criticism.

I have not abandoned ship, as it is not my nature to quit anything I think might involve my kids in becomming better stewards of thier community, country and world. As scoutmaster, I have to find ways of engaging the kids and this might be a good way to do it, though I may hide my own caches for this purpose to make it easier.

Lastly, I would like to apologize for the perceived bad attitude of my first post. I posted frustrated, not angry; though I must admit that by the end of the conversation I was beginning to lean more towards angry than frustrated. I do not apologize for what I posted. I am, however, sorry that it was received badly and differently than was intended.

Thank you,

Tim Utley

Chattanooga, TN

Hello.

I just took a look at the listings you had in the OP. Seems that all of them were microes except one that was mistakenly placed as regular. Most of them have no hints. Though difficulty rated low they may be difficult for most of us. Missing hints that is. And the few that had hints, most was to me not very clear.

Also noted that some of them had no size selected. That may inidicate they were nanos. And if you have never seen a nano the search can indeed be tricky.

I think you just was unlucky with your selection.

Better luck next time. :(

Hang in there Tim. We have been out this for about 2 weeks and have found 17. 5 of those took several trips. 1 of them took 4 trips and when I found it I had been within a foot of it on the 3 previous trips. There where 4 DNF's yesterday. Once you start to find them it gets easier, I think. There are tendencies and clues to where they are hidden that you only learn by finding a few. Good Luck

Fishindaddy and the crew.

Hi Tim -

I'm glad to hear that you haven't given up.

I understand being frustrated and also how easy it is to have frustration misconstrued as anger. Unfortunately some people interpreted your frustration as disparaging their favorite activity and overreacted. Most of them are probably feeling apologetic about their remarks by now, even though they may not come right out and say so.

You mentioned some local folks who offered support--if you could get together with some of them who also have kid-cachers, and go out together, I bet you would all have a good time--and make some new friends too.

Good luck.

Nancy

There have some good hints and tips so far but I will throw in my favorites as well:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular or small sized caches for your first few. Stick to areas you are familar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like hider - where would you put a container? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others. Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

Prepare to widen your search area up 30 feet or so from where your GPS says it should be. Most will be found within 15 feet but do be prepared.

Take a bit more time to look. You said you looked for 10 over 4 hours - that is only 24 minutes apiece including time to get from one to the next. I will often spend 20 to 60 minutes to locate a well disguised and hidden micro cache.

Most of all - have fun!!

Hi Tim -

I understand being frustrated and also how easy it is to have frustration misconstrued as anger. Unfortunately some people interpreted your frustration as disparaging their favorite activity and overreacted. Most of them are probably feeling apologetic about their remarks by now, even though they may not come right out and say so.

You mentioned some local folks who offered support--if you could get together with some of them who also have kid-cachers, and go out together, I bet you would all have a good time--and make some new friends too.

Good luck.

Nancy

In all seriousnes, I just read the posts again and even went back and read them yet again, the only person I see overreacting was the OP. I can understand where some might think the questions asking if the OP had a GPS was being smart....truly, they were honest questions (I had the same thought myself). You'd be surprised how many people go after caches wthout a GPS, many hve great luck this way.

The OP may not have thought (and still may not think) that his posts weren't being blunt, but maybe he (and you for that matter) should go back and read his replies again. I love how curt and blunt he is with people wanting to be of help. Complaining that a few gave the same answers, guess what, that's because they are the RIGHT answers!! You'll note the OP says his message would likely be taken wrong and then posts it and it's taken wrong....(not so much that post alone, but combine it with the other not so friendly retorts and...), as I said, if you know you're going to be taken wrong, why not take a different approach?

You'll find we're mostly all here happy to help, we do enjoy handing on our experiences! If met half way, we're usually even pretty friendly!! :(

Hi Tim -

Good luck.

Nancy

In all seriousnes, I just read the posts again and even went back and read them yet again, the only person I see overreacting was the OP. I can understand where some might think the questions asking if the OP had a GPS was being smart....truly, they were honest questions (I had the same thought myself). You'd be surprised how many people go after caches wthout a GPS, many hve great luck this way.

The OP may not have thought (and still may not think) that his posts weren't being blunt, but maybe he (and you for that matter) should go back and read his replies again. I love how curt and blunt he is with people wanting to be of help. Complaining that a few gave the same answers, guess what, that's because they are the RIGHT answers!! You'll note the OP says his message would likely be taken wrong and then posts it and it's taken wrong....(not so much that post alone, but combine it with the other not so friendly retorts and...), as I said, if you know you're going to be taken wrong, why not take a different approach?

You'll find we're mostly all here happy to help, we do enjoy handing on our experiences! If met half way, we're usually even pretty friendly!! :(

Putting on my Moderator hat.

Funny_hat.jpg

Let's keep the discussion focused on helping the OP out and not who was rude to who.

Walking around the woods with a GPS or compass is easy. Finding a cache is different. You need to train your eyes to look at whats not there. What dosnt look right? Next time your GPS tells your close, look for places you would hide something. Remember, the cache is well hidden to blend in with the soundings.

But if your always going to get frustrated, then maybe this game isn't for you.

Hi Tim -

Good luck.

Nancy

Putting on my Moderator hat.

Funny_hat.jpg

Let's keep the discussion focused on helping the OP out and not who was rude to who.

Sorry, my friend, I just call them as I see them!

On topic, there are some great suggestions which should be more tha helpful. If you're still having trouble, maybe the GPS is having trouble with reception (I think I saw you were in the woods). If the yellow etrex (I think that's what I recall seeing you're using) is bouncing you around, try to get to an open area (less canopy cover) and let the unit find itself, then walk directly the way it points. Turning around with that and most other GPS units will confuse it and could lead to spinning you in circles!

When you find yourself within 30' or so, put the GPS down (where you'll be able to find it again) and start looking for the obvious hiding locations (these will be more obvious as you get your caching senses tuned in). Check logs for hiding holes, check hollow trees, stick piles, anything that looks out of the ordinary! Putting the GPS down does two things (hopefully), first it'll allow you to concentrate more on the hunt than the GPS (we all find ourselves relying on the GPS more than we should from time to time) and it'll also allow the GPS to settle down a bit! If you're still having trouble, go back and check the GPS again, if farther than 30' try getting closer to ground zero and search some more! Having the cache info with you is a HUGE help, the more info you have, the better, read the info if available, and don't be afraid to read the hint!!

Best of all, good luck, my friend! Don't let this little letdown get to you, you'll get the hang of it in no time at all!! And feel free to come back here and ask for more tips, we're happy to help a cacher in need!

Well as a newcomer to this as well, with a total of one find so far, I'm not an authority, but let me add a few observations:

- My first cache was an easy find, which I assume is a good thing. Not too easy, but we found it within 5-10 minutes of starting the search.

- The second cache we did not find. So this was a bit frustrating, because this particular cache is visited at least once a week. Two problems: first, I had made a slight error when entering the coordinates, which caused my GPS to steer me further south than necessary; second, my wife was with me, complaining about the cold, so we gave up a bit sooner than I would have liked.

- My GPS is now at Garmin for repair/replacement, so I haven't been back out in the urban wilds doing searches. As soon as I get my unit back, I'll go look for that second cache again.

- I've always found the forum members to be extremely helpful. I was extremely frustrated with my Vista's hardware problems, and many people responded to my posts with helpful troubleshooting options. In the end, in fact, with their help, I was able to convince Garmin that my unit was indeed faulty and in need of warranty repair.

So stick with it. For my wife and I, it's purely not success in this that counts. It's getting out, getting some exercise, exploring some new areas. If we happen to find the cache, then great, that's a bonus. (I realize if you are out with kids, who may have higher expectations, lack of success may not be taken so casually.)

...these things are placed in such obscure locations that only the one who put it there could ever really find.

Ah, I'll tell you what I've finally figured out I need to do to help find the caches...When you get to the area where your GPS arrow appears to be right on top of the cache, switch over to view the lat/long cordinates where you are standing at (mine is on a seperate screen). - I then referrence the printed paper (cache listing) with the exact cords. I can look at the last few numbers of my N & W cords. and see if I'm close, or not. - Move several paces and see if your numbers get farther/closer to the cache. (This is the same idea as having to know the cordinates when PLACING a cache to begin with. :))

I will add, this is not always fool-proof, tho. - Micros can be extra difficult tp "pinpoint", so starting with a larger cache to get the feel for it, IS a good idea. (Frankly, those are more fun for my kids, since no goodies in the micros. :ph34r:)

Give it another try and see if my hint helps you. Good luck!

I can completely understand the frustration here. I went on something of a crusade a few years back to try to limit the number of micro caches being placed, but it went nowhere, of course. Now we see the very foreseeable results of the rampant micro-caching. My advice to new cachers (most of whom I have taken out on cache hunts myself, rather than expecting them to figure it all out on their own) has always been to look for the LARGER ones. If I am with them, I can usually find a micro, and usually they are impressed both that I was able to find it, and with the clever hide. However, a cache not found it just plain frustrating, whether you have no finds, ten finds, or 10,000 finds.

That said, all I hear from the OPer is the same frustration I have felt myself many times. What I hear from most of the rude respondents is defensiveness of our hobby. There is no call for this. Enough on that.

I definitely echo the advice that has been given: Stick to the larger hides until you feel comfortable looking for more difficult ones. There is a lot more to geocaching than just knowing how to use a GPS. If you are good at finding them, you will have a lot more success even WITHOUT a GPS if you are savvy at finding the various types of hides people come up with. That can only come with experience. There are hundreds of different types of hides, and some of them you will never think of yourself. Most of the time I have only learned of these after calling someone else who had found the cache before me, and having them tell me where to look. It's not quite as fun as finding it yourself, but I still get a good chuckle.

I really hope your experience, and this forum, has not completely turned you off to this. The fact that you thought enough of the concept to give it a go on your own tells me that you have the constitution of a great player, and we need more of those. I was fortunate enough that my first hunt was a rather large ammo box, and was not nearly as hard to find as your first one was. I think there was only one micro in my state at that time, and truly, I am not sure that if my first find had been a micro, if I would have caught on to it the way I did.

Feel free to email me directly, or through the site, if you would like other ideas. I am always happy to help.

Happy caching,

bunkerdave

jeepnski@gmail.com

Hi Tim! Glad to hear that you didn't get completely discouraged, I'm kind of new to geocaching myself and my whole family has really gotten into it. That's a total of five kids, five grandkids, five pet Boxers and even the grumpy old man that we loving call the Big Dawg now enjoys heading out for a hunt. Just the other week we actually had the entire family out geocaching at a couple of our local parks. We have just about found all the traditional caches in our town now and have started working on some of the multi-caches. We made several finds that day but it's a wonder we made any because we actually spent over FOUR hours hunting in just ONE location for just ONE single cache and it wasn't even a micro. We never did find it and notified the owner that it may be MIA since nobody else has logged it as a find in a few months and we just couldn't help thinking that we're all somewhat, fairly "experienced" cachers at this point and with all of us hunting devotedly...well, we just believe it's not there. Of course, we're all gonna be kicking ourselves if the owner comes back and says it IS there, but that's ok cause we had a WONDERFUL family outting that day. Even my twin 18 month old granddaughters were out there hunting along with us, it was quite cute to watch them picking up sticks and leaves and basically just copying all of the rest of us. We joked around about how funny it would be if one of them actually found it! And that's the whole thing about taking the kids along. We have no inclination to teach our children or our grandchildren that it's all about the "find" or the big "win", we live and teach our kids by the good old slogan: "If you had fun, you won!" And I think that's the key for teaching kids to geocache.

I know the first one my husband and I found, he actually made the find, was a micro and we had no GPS and we had actually gone out to the location two times before he finally found it and we had both been ALL over that thing the previous visit. But, we had fun and we did finally find it. We've actually had a few like that so far and these dog-gone multi-caches and conondrum caches with their tricky clues, they are driving me nuts! But it really is a fun hobby/sport. We just made our 100th find on Valentine's Day (actually it was after midnight so the find was on the 15th of February) on a late night cache hunt with our oldest daughter and son-in-law, and then we just put out our first cache last weekend on some vacant land we own and we're waiting now for it to go "live" on the site and see how well a job we did hiding it. So, again, I congratulate you for not giving up and welcome you to the world of geocaching! Wishing you and your family lots of fun and happy hunting!

Mama Dawg

Webster's Boxers

I am the frustrated type myself. I have to remember to not go caching when I am not in the mood to do so. I can not force it. I wish I was like other people and I could go caching almost everyday but that doesn't fit my personality.

Read my signature line. I wrote it after a particularly bad caching experience. The reasons behind it are complicated but I will say that it is some good advice.

Honestly, that does happen. Its called "muggled" when that happens to a cache. I doubt very much that it would happen to all of them that you searched for. Don't hesitate to contact the cache owners if you do not find them. Oftentimes, cache owners are more than willing to give some kind of advice or hints. Ultimately, they WANT people to find them. And if any of those caches WERE muggled, they would like to know that.

Just remember, there are people who have been doing this for years who still have days when their finds:DNF ratio is small. It happens. If they were easy to find all of the time, where would the fun be?

Hi Tim. Like everybody else I'm glad you've decided to continue. I can only think of 2 useful pieces of advise since everybody else has done such a super job of sharing great tips. My first one is something that goes against human nature. When you get close to the area where you're sure (or pretty sure since one never really knows) the cache is hidden put away your GPS and just let your eyes relax and slowly scan your surroundings without looking for anything at all. It really is amazing what the human brain is capable of detecting if we relax and let it work to it's true potential.

As an example last Fall when I was brand new with only a handful of finds to my name I went to look for a cache that was kind of difficult to find according to it's rating. I searched for about 45 minutes and couldn't find it. About a week later I returned, spent another 45 minutes searching and again could not find it. About a week ago I returned to the site and verified with my GPS that the correct area was where I'd previously thought and put away my GPS. Then I just let my eyes slowly scan the area and suddenly like a light bulb turning on I had a strong feeling like there was something I'd seen a few seconds earlier that needed further investigation. I moved my eyes a few feet to the left where I thought I'd overlooked something, but all I noticed was a log that somebody had cut with a chainsaw. Well there was a tree that had been blown down and lots of broken and twisted limbs were all around. Then I remembered something I'd seen another cacher write here in the Forums. Straight lines are very rare in nature. I looked around and that was the only piece of wood that had been cut. Every other piece was twisted or torn off in a very ragged fashion like you'd expect when a tree is blown down. I went over picked up the cut piece of wood turned it over and it turned out the underside was hollowed out and the cache container was stuck up inside the log!

So #1 let your eyes and brain relax as you're scanning ground zero. Also remember the 2nd part that if you see a straight line in the woods it was probably something made my man and it deserves to be investigated.

Good luck in your future searches and may all of your caches be ammo cans full of swag!!! :)

Edit to correct some bad spelling.

Edited by Michigan Cacheman