just brought etrex h

bushka&bella

The biggest hurdle is connecting it to a computer. It uses a serial connection and most computers no longer support serial. You will have to purchase a serial to USB adpater; otherwise, you'll have to enter the coords manually.

Remember, this is the bottom of the line Etrex. However, it will take you to a cache, and it has the updated chipset for tracking satellites under thick tree cover.

Have fun...

As above the cable is serial, you need a USB to serial converter.

I have not had a single problem with mine. Found a fair few caches, in the open and under cover.

The best things you can buy to help you is, a battery charger, also look at getting a full version of GSAK.

All in all a great little GPSr.

As above the cable is serial, you need a USB to serial converter.

I have not had a single problem with mine. Found a fair few caches, in the open and under cover.

The best things you can buy to help you is, a battery charger, also look at getting a full version of GSAK.

All in all a great little GPSr.

GSAK? What's that?

I also have an eTrex H, my first GPSr, and haven't had much trouble with it. I say 'much' because there's the standard bounce of the signal and a bit of inaccuracy. So I try to keep my battery charge above half-life.

I just bought one about 2 months ago, but have been just getting some real use out of it now, i got my first 10 caches with it, all of them in forested and semi mountainous terrain. A tip is to use the coordinates display in the compass screen and try to match coordinates, and not rely on just the goto waypoint command. When you are close, the goto arrow seems to bounce more. I still carry and recommend carrying a traditional compass to help keep oriented, so you know if your gps is giving you good information. I dont know if this is standard for all gps's because this is the only one i have ever used.