Is it just me, or is GP's website slowing to a crawl?

Hobo2

I'm having all sorts of trouble updating caches, sending emails to other cachers, etc. My pages lock up, load half way then stop, very frustrating! I'm not having any of this trouble on any other website, so it can't be my computer. I've been noticing this getting worse and worse this past year, what is happening, are any of you having the same trouble?

Here, everything is fine, but I've been doing maintenance on some of my caches... getting them ready for summer, and saying so on the cache page, but I can hardly enter anything. In fact, I go fool around on another website for a while waiting for the next cache page to show up, very frustrating! I also sent a message to a cacher recently, it took 5 minuets for the message to be sent. I have no trouble on any other site, so this is why I'm asking here.

Edited by Hobo2

Yeah, it's really slow here. I'm deleting a bunch of PQ's and various routes, and it takes perhaps a minute or so each time I click the "OK".

And I've noticed this for some time -- which is why I have to delete 5 pages of routes! When it's so difficult to delete routes, the chore tends to get put off.

Yeah, it's really slow here. I'm deleting a bunch of PQ's and various routes, and it takes perhaps a minute or so each time I click the "OK".

And I've noticed this for some time -- which is why I have to delete 5 pages of routes! When it's so difficult to delete routes, the chore tends to get put off.

Ya, I told my wife to wait a minuet for me to post just a few things, now my minuets are becoming as long as hers, lol.

You are right, frustration = lack of enthusiasm!

I'm having all sorts of trouble updating caches, sending emails to other cachers, etc. My pages lock up, load half way then stop, very frustrating! I'm not having any of this trouble on any other website, so it can't be my computer. I've been noticing this getting worse and worse this past year, what is happening, are any of you having the same trouble?

I have a cable modem and I have experienced some pretty slow periods in Pennsylvania. :(

It's Sunday afternoon. Everyone is home trying to log all their finds from the weekend. It used to be slow every Sunday a couple of years ago. Then TPTB added capacity and things were great. Until now. I guess geocaching has outgrown it's britches again. Time for another server upgrade.

It's Sunday afternoon. Everyone is home trying to log all their finds from the weekend. It used to be slow every Sunday a couple of years ago. Then TPTB added capacity and things were great. Until now. I guess geocaching has outgrown it's britches again. Time for another server upgrade.

That does not explain why my profile page wont load for the last couple of hours! :(

I remember when it was just slow on the weekends, but not as bad as it is now, and now it happens at all times on every day.

I just found out something interesting about it. If you go fast... keep the pages flipping, it is a bit faster. But if you stop for just a couple of minuets, then it seems to get stuck, and takes a long time to load pages again.

Yup, very slow here too at times, & they're happening more & more lately -- even getting on the forum can be a PITA at times. Message postings timing out maybe one time out of five....click a link & if it's on Groundspeak, it's a crapshoot whether or not you'll see the linked page on first try.

It's also become almost totally useless to try to get cache-page info on Fridays now. I've been imagining all the users prep'g for weekend runs are bogging it down. I've gotten to where I just try to stay off it completely after Thursday morning, & only look for new listings in the newsletter, then.

~*

PS: Edit to add - When I clicked to post the above, got:

PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 45 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\ips_kernel\class_db_mysql.php on line 457 PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 45 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\sources\ipsclass.php on line 1111

(I'm seeing LOTS of those lately.)

~~*

Edited by Star*Hopper

I'm in Michigan and all afternoon I have been getting fatal errors on the forums. Almost with every forum post.. I also brought up other websites to do what I need to do while I was waiting for this site to decide if I could post that time or not. Very frustrating

Still sticken'!!! I just sent a message to another cacher, by the time I got it typed the website froze again, what the heck! :) Now I'm wondering if anyone sees these posts? :)

PS. Now this one is sticking too. :)

Edited by Hobo2

Yup, very slow here too at times, & they're happening more & more lately -- even getting on the forum can be a PITA at times. Message postings timing out maybe one time out of five....click a link & if it's on Groundspeak, it's a crapshoot whether or not you'll see the linked page on first try.

It's also become almost totally useless to try to get cache-page info on Fridays now. I've been imagining all the users prep'g for weekend runs are bogging it down. I've gotten to where I just try to stay off it completely after Thursday morning, & only look for new listings in the newsletter, then.

~*

PS: Edit to add - When I clicked to post the above, got:

PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 45 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\ips_kernel\class_db_mysql.php on line 457 PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 45 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\sources\ipsclass.php on line 1111

(I'm seeing LOTS of those lately.)

~~*

Guess more people + more revenue = less quality :) Maybe a one month strike on dues by a few thousand members is in order. :)

Really slow again this morning. I've seen quote a bit of slowness since yesterday's update. :rolleyes:

Same here.

Just trying to decrypt a hint locked up the page I was looking at. I had to close my browser and then the site wouldn't load at all.

Edited by Zop

I think this thread got dropped into the obyss. :blink: No one at GP seems to read it, as the mediator implied. He made it sound as if he moved this thread here, the tech guys would see it right away. :rolleyes: Now I'm starting to wonder! B) Maybe a link to this thread on other sites will wake them up! :D

Edited by Hobo2

Of course we know the site and forums are slow. It's fairly obvious even to us on the office T1. I promise you we take this very seriously and if we had a solution it would already be in place, but this is a complicated issue that requires a lot of investigation and planning.

With a site as large and as complicated as Geocaching.com it's not enough to simply throw hardware at a problem, although we have done so to a great extent. It requires serious planning and talent to optimize code, and that takes time. How much time we don't yet know, but we are sparing no effort or expense to remedy the situation.

In the meantime we are making small tweaks daily to improve performance incrementally while the big solution is cooking. Please hang in there while we work. Thanks.

It has taken me an hour just to get to the point where I could post on this page that it seems like some work needs to be done.

Every time I visit the forums (it happens on the main site as well but not as much), it is a long process of getting to one page to another, and Vegas might be able to book bets on whether or not the page will load after being clicked on.

Of course we know the site and forums are slow. It's fairly obvious even to us on the office T1. I promise you we take this very seriously and if we had a solution it would already be in place, but this is a complicated issue that requires a lot of investigation and planning.

With a site as large and as complicated as Geocaching.com it's not enough to simply throw hardware at a problem, although we have done so to a great extent. It requires serious planning and talent to optimize code, and that takes time. How much time we don't yet know, but we are sparing no effort or expense to remedy the situation.

In the meantime we are making small tweaks daily to improve performance incrementally while the big solution is cooking. Please hang in there while we work. Thanks.

It seems the worst in the middle of the afternoon (Central Time). I have been in Telecommunications for thirty years and if you guys are still using T1, no wonder its slow.

I don't believe you can run Groundspeak on T1's, to much traffic and way to slow. I would think you would be operating at fiber speeds.

I was getting this type of error also when trying to navigate the forums. If I just clicked in my web address bar and pressed <enter> to try again, it loaded the page in a decent amount of time.

TERRIBLY SLOW here in SC also.....when are they going to get this up and running right and LEAVE it alone?

ftjak

It seems the worst in the middle of the afternoon (Central Time). I have been in Telecommunications for thirty years and if you guys are still using T1, no wonder its slow.

I don't believe you can run Groundspeak on T1's, to much traffic and way to slow. I would think you would be operating at fiber speeds.

They have a T1 line to the Groundspeak corporate offices. The web servers and database servers are at an Internap colocation facility in Seattle.

6:10 PM - Dallas Time

6:15 PM - Dallas Time

B):D I just gave up on Geocaching.com is so slow this afternoon :D:D

Bye...don't let the door hit you in the...never mind. :rolleyes:

Slow website, then add nice understanding folks like Allanon, why should you be frustrated, I don't get it. :blink:

Thanks OpinioNate for explaining, and sorry if you think I'm impatient. But you must understand my impatience. This has been going on for a very long time now... no surprises here. Then I finally get fed up enough and post my frustration and get no response until today. I for one am getting more and more frustrated all the time. I find myself only visiting when I need to, not just for pleasure as I use too, this must be the case for many others as well. Now before I get some brilliant door remark let me say, I do love this sport, and I do want to continue to play. But I also pay to play. If you feel it is unfair of me to complain about the performance of a product I pay for, then I feel GP has other issues to deal with than just website speed.

Thank you for your time!

Edited by Hobo2

I've noticed some issues with the forums, though the last couple days seem to be related to the website down screen - the only link on it is for the forums. I'd imagine they'll see a bit of a ... spike... at that point.

That's not to say I haven't seen the issue otherwise, but it's very rare. If I can't get in, I just go caching.