printer friendly printing

she_wolf

The top part with the GC#, the difficulty, etc (oh and the name) doesn't print.

Actually I should say it will print 1 out of 15/20 times. I have tried to "select all", and then printing select, I have tried to ONLY have that window open, changing the printer set up, - short of standing on my head what am I doing wrong. It's a hassle to go back, pull the sheets, and then go back to the computer and hand write which cache the print out belongs to.

This really isn't anything new, it is just that I am just tired of writing it in.

This is a known issue with Internet Explorer v6 and will be fixed in the next release. In the meantime, why not upgrade to IE7? Version 6 came out nearly a decade ago.

Sorry Nate, but IE7 has the same issue.

Yep if have IE 7, had to do that to be able to upload to my Garmin (a more recent issue, but resolved now). This printing problem is an irritation. Yesterday I could get it to print by closing the short & log description, but now today, that trick doesn't work.... So obviously that wasn't the answer....

This is a known issue with Internet Explorer v6 and will be fixed in the next release. In the meantime, why not upgrade to IE7? Version 6 came out nearly a decade ago.

Sorry Nate, but IE7 has the same issue.

Yep if have IE 7, had to do that to be able to upload to my Garmin (a more recent issue, but resolved now). This printing problem is an irritation. Yesterday I could get it to print by closing the short & log description, but now today, that trick doesn't work.... So obviously that wasn't the answer....

Yep, it is an issue with IE7 and has been from the get go. It is just more visible now with the new simple print pages. The new maps are nice but they make many more of the cache pages exhibit this same problem.

A rare poor answer from Nate. For cachers who print cache pages and use IE this is a significant hassle. You can use print preview and sizing to get everything to print but it takes time and shouldn't be necessary.

The problem has occurred with IE7 and WinXP/Vista for a while, I have reported before. The pages print correctly if the header and map print on the first page completely. If the map graphic or cache text is pushed to a second page, the header won't print.

The copy looks just fine in print preview, but refuses to print the header.

IE 6 doesn't exhibit the problem, as we have to print on the older machine to get all the info.

My results differ a little from what MaxB has reported.

I have noted this problem and reported it before. It has occurred with various computers, various operating system, various printers, various browsers and with various Internet providers. In other words, it does not look like an isolated problem on my end.

In my case, all the information above "Short Description" is missing in BOTH the Print Preview and on the actual printed paper.

It happens only with specific cache pages. And when it fails for a cache page, it fails consistently for that cache page. It is not intermittent.

Today I noted that the print function failed for GCR8GH when "Simple [No Logs]" was selected, however it worked fine in both the Print Preview and when actually printed to paper, when "[5 logs]" or "[10 logs]" was selected. This is the first that I have noticed this, and will try to duplicate the test with other cache pages that have issues when I run into them.

To avoid printing all the logs, I used File, Print from my browser, and selected only 1 page to print.

Can anyone else confirm these results with this particular cache?

Clipboard02.jpg

"Print Preview..." of GCR8GH using "No Logs" in IE7.0.5730.11 under XP SP3:

Clipboard01.jpg

Edited by GizmoGuy411

I have had this problem with printing also.

I found that I could work around it by clicking on the Print Simple button, then after the new page opens, selecting the page from the header to the map. Then I click on the Print Selection option, and it works fine. Next, if needed, I select the map, and print it out.

I believe the problem is caused when the map would print on the first page. Would it be possible to program each cache page with a page break before the map?

I have had this problem with printing also.

I found that I could work around it by clicking on the Print Simple button, then after the new page opens, selecting the page from the header to the map. Then I click on the Print Selection option, and it works fine. Next, if needed, I select the map, and print it out.

I believe the problem is caused when the map would print on the first page. Would it be possible to program each cache page with a page break before the map?

Great work around WVRadar!

I just tested it and it worked for me just as you described. Curiously however, even though it printed correctly, the Print Preview was still missing the info above "Short Description". So if anyone else uses this work around, do not be discouraged if you still do not see the info in the Print Preview.

I also tried to highlight the entire page including the map, and it failed, as you sort of implied.

Hopefully, this information will help GS get the root of the problem.

(For those unfamiliar, we are talking about the options for printing that are available from Internet Explorer's "File", "Print" menu choices and NOT by just clicking on the Print Icon. In IE 7 and 8 you can also choose these menu choices from the printer drop down menu by clicking on the arrow next to the Print Icon.)

Edited by GizmoGuy411

The top part with the GC#, the difficulty, etc (oh and the name) doesn't print.

Actually I should say it will print 1 out of 15/20 times. I have tried to "select all", and then printing select, I have tried to ONLY have that window open, changing the printer set up, - short of standing on my head what am I doing wrong. It's a hassle to go back, pull the sheets, and then go back to the computer and hand write which cache the print out belongs to.

This really isn't anything new, it is just that I am just tired of writing it in.

I found this too with a lot of the pages I was printing off, I resolved it quite accidently, by creating a pdf of the page. Initially I did it to save to a data stick and print off, however, I've found that it keeps all the details : with the exception of the google map before the Logs, which is ok, as I print off a Google Map with all the caches in the area. Free pdf creaters are on the downloads.com site. :laughing: