Life time Map up-dated from Garmin

I have it for my 60CSx. It's only available for the NT map product versions. Garmin converted my 2008 non-NT to 2009 NT for about $20, and then I could get the NuMaps updates. I've already got update 2009.11. Every update is considered a separate map product, so it doesn't replace your existing maps in MapSource. That means you need to remember to delete the old map products, or you'll eat up your HD space.

You HAVE to have a broadband connection. The updates will only be delivered over the internet.

And you can forget about using nRoute. Garmin is now storing the map data in a different location, and nRoute can't find the new maps. Garmin says they will not be updating nRoute to work with the newer maps. This isn't a NuMaps issue. It applies to over-the-counter maps as well.

Yeah, I see Garmin has recently added that option on their website. Originally it was a one-time update on the Nuvi models, if I recall correctly, probably to push new old stock off the shelves.

What I'm wondering is, on the handheld models, if you have to buy the map, then pay for the lifetime updates as well?

And you can forget about using nRoute. Garmin is now storing the map data in a different location, and nRoute can't find the new maps. Garmin says they will not be updating nRoute to work with the newer maps. This isn't a NuMaps issue. It applies to over-the-counter maps as well.

You can use GMapTool to convert the new format back into the old format that nroute can use. The latest version of GMapTool includes a batch file example that will convert City Navigator Europe 2009, which is the first product to change to the new format. That batch file can be edited to convert the City Navigator North America 2009.10 update, or anything else that uses the new format.

You need to be familiar with how batch files work and do some investigation to find the key files that the batch file needs, but if you know what you're doing it's not difficult. It's just a little tedious editing the batch file.

...ken...

I am confused...

This is what I got from garmins website:

Remember — this map update can only be used to update the preloaded maps that came installed on your Garmin GPS device. For example, a Garmin GPS device preloaded with North America maps only cannot be updated with a nüMaps Lifetime Europe Map Update, and vice versa. Check product compatibility.

Will I be able to use the life time update with the DVD version of CN Europe?

Will the updates be downloaded into Mapsource so that I can use my computer and Mapsource to plan trips?

Will I be able to use Mapsource to upload only the segments of the maps that I want to upload (together with other maps, such as topo maps)?

Will I be able to use this product with my Oregon, which came with no preloaded maps (see garmins statement from above)?

Many thanks in advance!

1. If you already have the Full NT version of CN Europe, then the answer is Yes. If not, then you would need to purchase the Full version of CN NT Europe first.

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. Currently, the Oregon is not shown as being compatible. That may change in the future, but you would still need to have the full version of the maps already unlocked to the unit in order for the Lifetime Update to work with it.

You can use GMapTool to convert the new format back into the old format that nroute can use. The latest version of GMapTool includes a batch file example that will convert City Navigator Europe 2009, which is the first product to change to the new format. That batch file can be edited to convert the City Navigator North America 2009.10 update, or anything else that uses the new format.

You need to be familiar with how batch files work and do some investigation to find the key files that the batch file needs, but if you know what you're doing it's not difficult. It's just a little tedious editing the batch file.

...ken...

Is it truly a change in the format style of the maps, or merely a change in the location the maps are now stored/loaded to ?

If it's only a directory/location change, can't you just move the maps to the "Old" location ?

If only it was that simple... :D

First, the file extensions on the map files have changed from .IMG to .GMP . I don't know if the format of the data in them has changed or not. So, even if it's a simple rename, it's still a bunch easier to let the batch file do it than to manually rename and copy a gazillion files.

Second, even if it's as simple as renaming them and copying them into the old style directory structure, you still need to do all the registry entries.

That's mainly what the conversion batch file does that comes with GMapTool ... sets up the appropriate directory structure, converts (or renames) and copies the map files and creates the necessary registry entries.

...ken...

Garmin is offering a life time of map up-dates for $119. Sounds good to me. Comments?

I assume this is the GPS's lifetime in your posessio and not your lifetime for Garmin GPS's that you may have.

Then you would need to keep your GPS 3 years or loger for it to pay off. Give or take a year. This would be a better deal if you got to use it on more than one GPS that you may own.

Yeah, I see Garmin has recently added that option on their website. Originally it was a one-time update on the Nuvi models, if I recall correctly, probably to push new old stock off the shelves.

What I'm wondering is, on the handheld models, if you have to buy the map, then pay for the lifetime updates as well?

Yes if you don't have the full version of the map that's part of the update plan.

A NUVI for example comes with the full map. A 60CSx doesn't.

I assume this is the GPS's lifetime in your posessio and not your lifetime for Garmin GPS's that you may have.

Then you would need to keep your GPS 3 years or loger for it to pay off. Give or take a year. This would be a better deal if you got to use it on more than one GPS that you may own.

I'm not sure how you calculated the "payback" to be three years. For many, the value is in the downloadable quarterly updates instead of waiting at least a year between updates and having to buy another update DVD every time.

...ken...

I'm not sure how you calculated the "payback" to be three years. For many, the value is in the downloadable quarterly updates instead of waiting at least a year between updates and having to buy another update DVD every time.

...ken...

So what's the quarterly update worth to you? Is that by itself worth the $119? For some it's worth it just to have current maps.

For me I could care less about quarterly (due to the hassle) and compare it to the annual update CD that they were going to charge me while also looking at the fact that if I upgrade my GPS every 3 years or so it comes with a brand new map and a free update if it's not quarterly fresh. Besides with the recession we shouldn't see so many new roads for awhile. I figure I won't need an update for 2 years.

Value is in the eye of the beholder. I just spent roughly 4 hours trying to get an update, then make it work. Now that I've succeded I'm perfectly happy not repeating that for some time. That's time I could have been doing something interesting.

Edited by Renegade Knight

...ken...

So what's the quarterly update worth to you? Is that by itself worth the $119? For some it's worth it just to have current maps.

For me I could care less about quarterly (due to the hassle) and compare it to the annual update CD that they were going to charge me while also looking at the fact that if I upgrade my GPS every 3 years or so it comes with a brand new map and a free update if it's not quarterly fresh. Besides with the recession we shouldn't see so many new roads for awhile. I figure I won't need an update for 2 years.

Value is in the eye of the beholder. I just spent roughly 4 hours trying to get an update, then make it work. Now that I've succeded I'm perfectly happy not repeating that for some time. That's time I could have been doing something interesting.

It's not just roads that get updated. The POIs do too. Depending on where you live, that may or may not be important. I live in a large, spread-out metroplex, and it's very handy to have a reliable, fairly up-to-date reference of where nearby restaurants, gas stations ATMs, etc. are located. One of the reasons I initially starting looking into updating my old maps was that I was getting tired of driving a couple of miles to a business, only to find that it was closed, or was now something else.

I'm confused. I bought City Navigator NT 2008 DVD and don't have the preloaded maps, am I able to download and use the update? I have a 60CSx and am using RoadTrip on a Mac. When I try to download the update, I'm told I don't have a device connected. If I have the DVD why would I need to connect my gps?

Thanks for your help.

I'm confused. I bought City Navigator NT 2008 DVD and don't have the preloaded maps, am I able to download and use the update? I have a 60CSx and am using RoadTrip on a Mac. When I try to download the update, I'm told I don't have a device connected. If I have the DVD why would I need to connect my gps?

Thanks for your help.

It's trying to get the GPS unit ID. There's usually an option where you can enter the serial number instead.

Garmin is offering a life time of map up-dates for $119. Sounds good to me. Comments?

I purchased the lifetime about 6 weeks ago. Considering up to 4 updates per year, it paid for itself on the first update based POI's and new roadways after 18 mos of no new software. If you weigh the option of $79 for 1 download, the lifetime is well worth it.

FYI, I had a laptop crash and phoned Garmin to get the download again. They activated my map update for 5 days enabling me install the 09 version on 2 laptops and my desktop.