When Or Do you Request

redjada

So far I have done twice. Both of witch are owned by the same person. The owner hasn't logged into GS since 2007. Both of these cache's are in bad shape. I Logged a needs Maint. and emailed the owner through GS. After not getting a reply back, I put in for the needs archived.

So yesterday we were out and found another one (GC13E48) Posted a needs maint. There was an contact email on the inside of the lid. But it got bounced back to me. "non deliverable" So, sent message through GS. Waiting for a reply.

Two weeks ago, I found another one (GCXCFB) This time I got a reply back saying "thanks for the heads up"

But after two weeks, it still hasn't been repaired.

I dont want to a bad cacher, but when should you request a cache to be archived. The way I look at it. If your going to hide you should be taking care of it. And if you cant do that, find someone that will.

I checked, I've got 8 NA logs:

1 on an event, the owner held it and never logged onto GC.com again

4 on caches where I picked up the scattered remains, checked the owner's profile and they were long gone,

1 on an illegal cache,

2 on missing caches, owner long gone. One I'd found before, the other I'd never found, but a long string of DNFs, including one by a previous finder.

So far I have done twice. Both of witch are owned by the same person. The owner hasn't logged into GS since 2007. Both of these cache's are in bad shape. I Logged a needs Maint. and emailed the owner through GS. After not getting a reply back, I put in for the needs archived.

So yesterday we were out and found another one (GC13E48) Posted a needs maint. There was an contact email on the inside of the lid. But it got bounced back to me. "non deliverable" So, sent message through GS. Waiting for a reply.

Two weeks ago, I found another one (GCXCFB) This time I got a reply back saying "thanks for the heads up"

But after two weeks, it still hasn't been repaired.

I dont want to a bad cacher, but when should you request a cache to be archived. The way I look at it. If your going to hide you should be taking care of it. And if you cant do that, find someone that will.

Two weeks is kind of pushing for an SBA log, especially during the winter and for a cache that has only been found 4 times this year. It looks, other than that it was found in the open, that the primary problem is that the cache has a soggy log.

For a cache like this I would have probably added a dry log sheet in a plastic baggie and sent a note to the owner. It would be a shame to have an ammo can archived due to a soggy log (hard to understand how the log got wet in an ammo can).

Sometimes you can forget a cache, so it's nice to get a quick email. I had an event up for a very long time after and if someone hadn't emailed me to archive it, I would have spaced. But, I was there to receive the email.

I have a similar concern as there is a cache right in the area I wanted to place a cache that has been inactive since October with no new news from the owner. So, I couldn't place my cache (too close) and this cache is still affecting people though it's been requested to be archived.

Who can archive a cache? Just the owner?

Sometimes you can forget a cache, so it's nice to get a quick email. I had an event up for a very long time after and if someone hadn't emailed me to archive it, I would have spaced. But, I was there to receive the email.

I have a similar concern as there is a cache right in the area I wanted to place a cache that has been inactive since October with no new news from the owner. So, I couldn't place my cache (too close) and this cache is still affecting people though it's been requested to be archived.

Who can archive a cache? Just the owner?

and the reviewer.

Jim

My thoughts run similar to Briansnat's.

If the owner is AWOL, and the cache is in disrepair, not being cared for by the remaining community, I think an SBA is appropriate.

If a cache is blatantly violating a guideline, I think an SBA is appropriate.

I agree. SBA means dead or should be dead. You are helping everyone else by letting them know to steer clear of that cache.

Can I jump into this??? I have been searching the forums to see if there is a proposed etiquette around problems at a cache, but this is as close as I got.

I emailed the owner of Ivy League (sorry, forgot to check the GC# before posting) in Golden Gardens today about my concerns regarding the impact their cache is having on the park. It seemed like the right thing to do, but I still have that pit in my stomach about looking like some kind of GeoGoodyGoody/GeoPatroller. I honestly think it is negatively impacting the park, but it bothered me that no one else thought so enough to speak up about it.

Maybe that is it, maybe I just needed to admit I was feeling queasy about raising a stink! I logged my find earlier, and just sent off my email directly to the CO (via GS) expressing concern and suggestions for a less impactful but close rehide. Hopefully that will be enough to get things changed. If not, I will be back here asking more questions. ;+P

Thanks,

SeaC2

Can I jump into this??? I have been searching the forums to see if there is a proposed etiquette around problems at a cache, but this is as close as I got.

I emailed the owner of Ivy League (sorry, forgot to check the GC# before posting) in Golden Gardens today about my concerns regarding the impact their cache is having on the park. It seemed like the right thing to do, but I still have that pit in my stomach about looking like some kind of GeoGoodyGoody/GeoPatroller. I honestly think it is negatively impacting the park, but it bothered me that no one else thought so enough to speak up about it.

Maybe that is it, maybe I just needed to admit I was feeling queasy about raising a stink! I logged my find earlier, and just sent off my email directly to the CO (via GS) expressing concern and suggestions for a less impactful but close rehide. Hopefully that will be enough to get things changed. If not, I will be back here asking more questions. ;+P

Thanks,

SeaC2

My thoughts.

1. Email the owner

2. Email a reviewer

3. Post "Needs Maintenance" log, stating negatively impacting the park.

As you've emailed the owner, I'd give them a chance to sort it themselves.

My thoughts.

1. Email the owner

2. Email a reviewer

3. Post "Needs Maintenance" log, stating negatively impacting the park.

As you've emailed the owner, I'd give them a chance to sort it themselves.

Well, here it is a good two weeks later and I have heard and seen absolutely NO response to the email I sent to the CO. If you read the subsequent logs on the cache itself, folks are still mucking around trying to find the cache...

My next question is this: How do I find an email address for a reviewer?? Will posting a Needs Maintenance log flag someone at Groundspeak about the problem? I am still feeling like a GeoGoodyGoody about it, but I am getting irritated enough to not care so much about that as much as about those poor ferns!

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Well, here it is a good two weeks later and I have heard and seen absolutely NO response to the email I sent to the CO. If you read the subsequent logs on the cache itself, folks are still mucking around trying to find the cache...

My next question is this: How do I find an email address for a reviewer?? Will posting a Needs Maintenance log flag someone at Groundspeak about the problem? I am still feeling like a GeoGoodyGoody about it, but I am getting irritated enough to not care so much about that as much as about those poor ferns!

I dont think Maintenance logs flag reviewers but i know SBA ones do. But I'm new here so I don't really about maintenance logs.

I also am having trouble with feeling bad for writing about archiving. One was behind a new looking Private Property No Trespassing sign and so far to my knowledge the Reviewer has responded but not the Owner. It's only been a few days so I'm sure he/she will respond.

The other is with security at a property for an urban cache telling my husband and I to leave and that we were on private property. Since I've only found 7 caches and now 2 others are possible SBA's, I feel horrible. I'm not trying to be the cache police but I feel that reporting what I find is important for bettering the community. I thought people would understand that, but seeing some of the notes in various threads on this board has me wondering otherwise.

Anyway, I'm trying not to be an a**. Instead of posting SBA on the 2nd one, I emailed the owner directly to see if he can work it out with the property owners. Still feel awful though.

:)

My next question is this: How do I find an email address for a reviewer?? Will posting a Needs Maintenance log flag someone at Groundspeak about the problem?

Unless the cache is very old, just hit the View All Logs link and scroll to the bottom and you should see the reviewer's Published note, along with a link to his/her profile.

If the cache is older than the Published notes, then just look at a newer cache in the same area to find out who is publishing the caches.

A Needs Maintenance log does not automatically go to the reviewer (although the reviewer may well have a Watch set on the cache if there have been other issues with it) but a Needs Archived note does.

...when should you request a cache to be archived. The way I look at it. If your going to hide you should be taking care of it. And if you cant do that, find someone that will.

SBA is Should be archived pronto. That means there is no time to email the owner as the problem demanding the archiving is immediate. If there is time to email the owner or write up a normal log then I don't need to pull the plug via that kind of log.

If the cache is merely in need of some TLC that's not a SBA. After all the cache can be found and enjoyed. A wet log, dull pencil, or cracked container are just part of the hazards. They don't mean the cache is no longer findable. If you absolutly have to have a nice dry container with a sharp pencil, dry log you can always visit my garage. I've got a shelf full of them. Once they leave the garge all bets are off.

Maintainence is a different issue than SBA.

...Well, here it is a good two weeks later.....

When is the last time you had enough time in your life to jump on your hobbies like clockwork? I've worked jobs where I havent' even seen the sun for more than a week and all you have to do is look out the window for that.

Remember caching is what we do when real life allows. Everthing in real life is more important than caching. Oh, and sometimes real life and the window of opportunity on a cache don't line up. Some caches are not accessable for 9 months out of the year. Don't get a chance during that three months, oh well.

Fortunatly for you, there are always other caches out there.

...The other is with security at a property for an urban cache telling my husband and I to leave and that we were on private property....

I've been in that exact situation. Security came out to let us know we could not be where we were. On the one I was seeking there was another way to the cache. Just because we chose the one way in wasn't a reflection on the cache itself. Your situation could be different or maybe there is another way.

As an aside, that business shut down a few months after that. Karma?

Your situation could be different or maybe there is another way.

Unfortunately, no, it's not like that in this cache. It is a very urban area in an office park. The coordinates point to a spot directly across a driveway from the business's entrance. I checked on google maps just to make sure I wasn't getting a funny reading because of the buildings around the area. :)

I didn't see the info posted (maybe done off forum, but I'm not sure) so I will go ahead and post it.

The reviewer for the first cache in question is Keystone. Since Keystone peruses this area of the forums it might get their attention.

The second one has so many finds that the reviewer is pushed off the logs, but I would bet it also would go through Keystone. As for the owners of it, they do not live in the area and 2 weeks may well be too short of a time frame for them to get back and do any maintenance needed.

Website's been acting up for anyone else lately?

Depends on your definition of "lately" :)

I've encountered slowdowns and stutters for about 2 months now. I haven't encountered the dreaded double / triple post though. If I enter a post and it doesn't show up, I take it as divine intervention that perhaps I shouldn't be posting that :)

When is the last time you had enough time in your life to jump on your hobbies like clockwork? I've worked jobs where I havent' even seen the sun for more than a week and all you have to do is look out the window for that.

Remember caching is what we do when real life allows. Everthing in real life is more important than caching. Oh, and sometimes real life and the window of opportunity on a cache don't line up. Some caches are not accessable for 9 months out of the year. Don't get a chance during that three months, oh well.

I think it's reasonable to expect a response to an email within two weeks.

Bruce

Bruce

Are you assuming folks check their email more often than they go to church? Joe Finder isn't a reviewer and may or may not get a response, and may or may not deserve one. Plus even if the owner intended to respond it may drop off the list and be overlooked.

Life happens. Even when responding to random emails out of the blue.

I dont want to a bad cacher, but when should you request a cache to be archived.

I recently had 3 caches archived because the property owner does not want caches there. The hider did not bother to ask permission.

I have placed an SBA on another in my area where the owner is a newbie with one find. It's supposed to be a pretty easy cache but the DNFs piled up and no one has ever found it. The hint says to ask the guy next door but he knows of nothng hid there. After a few weeks it became apparent the cache listing may have all been a joke after all. Still waiting on the reviewer to archive that one.

Also, if an owner won't respond to a lot of DNFs I may after a time place an SBA.

Remember caching is what we do when real life allows. Everthing in real life is more important than caching.

Bruce

Are you assuming folks check their email more often than they go to church? Joe Finder isn't a reviewer and may or may not get a response, and may or may not deserve one. Plus even if the owner intended to respond it may drop off the list and be overlooked.

Life happens. Even when responding to random emails out of the blue.

Thanks for the all the feedback on this; I did appreciate the *real-life* reminder but also agree with Bruce that two weeks should be enough time to wait. And I myself have been guilty of the *yep, need to respond to that but not right now* pattern and then it does just get lost in the swarm after a few days...

BUT, I was also grateful for the comment about how to find the reviewer email - thanks for that, I would have never figured that out by myself even though now that I know it seems quite obvious. :)

I think I will both email the CO again and email the reviewer; no response after two weeks from either of those and I am braving an SBA. Thats my plan and I am sticking to it.

Thanks for the support Ladies and Gents!

SeaC2

I have post 2 SBA's and there owned by the same owner. So far, nothing is happening? The first one was on Feb. 20. Still hasnt been archived. How long dose the reviewer wait to archive it?

Without cache IDs, we can only guess.

Unless there is a caching safety issue, I wouldn't be so concerned.

But to answer your specific question: I once SBA'd a cache where the property owner confronted me because he wanted no caches on his property. (He recently bought the commercial property. It had been vacant for a while.) A reviewer disabled the cache that day but it was not finally archived until more than 9 months later.

If somebody else had searched for it after my SBA, I would have worried a little more. As it was, I was content to wait.

....Thanks for the all the feedback on this; I did appreciate the *real-life* reminder but also agree with Bruce that two weeks should be enough time to wait....

Should be enough? Why?

I met a guy on the trail yesterday. He had recently had a total knee replacement. He also enjoyed mountain biking. I wonder if he recovered well enough to totter around a bit after two weeks? A co worker that I just donated some leave to just had an operation. We won't see them for 8 weeks.

Hmmm... Had a guy post a NM on a cache that was fine. He so annoyed my help on the cache that it was two weeks before I could get them to even talk about checking on the cache again.

Two weeks for a response on an email is reasonable for people who are inclined to check and respond to emails, except when they are otherwise occupied and unless your email was of the annoying variety were the best response falls puts the owner in the position of "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing". As for most people I know they don't even check emails that often.

I have post 2 SBA's and there owned by the same owner. So far, nothing is happening? The first one was on Feb. 20. Still hasnt been archived. How long dose the reviewer wait to archive it?

Is there a rush? Is the cache a danger to all geocaching as we know it? Or is the cache in need of maintenance (which is a different log and not really a SBA reason). The reviewer contacts the owner and gives them a reasonable time to respond. That time is thankfully a lot longer than most finders seem to have patience for if they had been in the reviewers shoes.

But after two weeks, it still hasn't been repaired....

Looks like an abuse of the SBA log. You found the cache. the cache is there, it's not posing a danger to caching (the land owner yelling at you on the spot to remove the cache for example) and as it happens you don't happen to like the condition of the cache and so hit the "SBA" button for a viable cache with an active owner who just doesn't seem to agree with your idea of maintenance.

I'll maintain my caches. However that's on my schedule as time and life allow. Thankfully I own my cache so my schedule works and it's the only one that apples. Now if you owned my cache then perhaps you could dictate what's reasonable.

I post SBA notes when:

- Caches are in clear violation of guidelines (like in private property)

- Owners are away from geocaching (with no recent logins)

- Caches are neglected by geocachers that are active and leave those caches inactive for months (like 6 months to 1 year).

I find the last item to be particularly annoying.

Nothing wrong with a cache being on private property. Permission trumps every guideline.

Maintaining a cache has nothing to do with logging into this site.

Not sure what neglect means but I have a few out there that could take me 9 months or more to get too even if I planned a special trip the day after someone clued me in there was a problem. It's up to you to figure out why that could be. Hmmm...Had one that was disabled 6 month out of the year intentionally. No neglect involved.

Still the topic was about when you would use the SBA log so fair enough post.

I post SBA notes when:

- Caches are neglected by geocachers that are active and leave those caches inactive for months (like 6 months to 1 year).

Nothing wrong with a cache being on private property. Permission trumps every guideline.

Not sure what neglect means but I have a few out there that could take me 9 months or more to get too even if I planned a special trip the day after someone clued me in there was a problem. It's up to you to figure out why that could be. Hmmm...Had one that was disabled 6 month out of the year intentionally. No neglect involved.

If you have caches that you cannot get to for 9 months or more then perhaps you ought to adopt them out to a geocacher who lives closer. It seems like most reviewers set the maintenance timetables and 9 months may be a bit too long. If there are no complaints, then I guess it is OK but I don't think each owner can set his/her own maintenance timetable. I have seen some archived in as little as 1 month! :)

P.S. I have only used the Needs Acchived 1 time.

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

As a charter member you know that's not really true. :)

Permission does NOT trump every guideline.

A cache which is buried with a shovel, virtual, 'you must place a cache to find it' (spawner ALR), temporary, on a bridge which is on elementary school property -- even if placed with permission of the school and local city agency -- is still not allowed on this site. :blink:

I post SBA notes when:

Just curious, if it is going to take 9 months to fix the problem, would you at least post a note on your cache stating such?

As I read this thread, I think that the biggest problem here is lack of communication. If I am concerned about a cache and the owner says that he can't fix it because of a recent knee replacement, (your example), I'd offer to do it for him. If, on the other hand, a cache and it's contents has degraded to it's baser elements, and it is painfully obvious that the owner no longer participates, the cache should be reported.

That being said, If I were caching out of my normal area, I would be more inclined to let the locals handle their issues as they seem fit. Any concerns that I had would be handled through my Found it log, or through a note.

The original question was basically "When to post a SBA"

My answer is:

1. When I have personal knowledge that both the cache and owner is missing.

2. When I have been physically approached on site by a third party about problems that the cache has created. (I'll contact the owner first).

If you have caches that you cannot get to for 9 months or more then perhaps you ought to adopt them out to a geocacher who lives closer. It seems like most reviewers set the maintenance timetables and 9 months may be a bit too long. If there are no complaints, then I guess it is OK but I don't think each owner can set his/her own maintenance timetable. I have seen some archived in as little as 1 month! :)

P.S. I have only used the Needs Acchived 1 time.

Excellent point, and it ties into what I was trying to say in my last post. There are many situations where 9 months may be perfectly reasonable, but you should not expect that if you are not communicating the fact.

BTW, I archived one of my caches today. It had been on "temp unavailable" status since November. The area that it was in had been involved in a major brush fire. I had hoped that I could restore it, but my only option was to create a completely different hide about 100' away. The reviewers gave me four months to make this decision because I communicated to them the special circumstances involved with this particular cache.

If I had not logged into the website for two years, and another cacher was reporting that my cache had been consumed in a fire, why shouldn't it be archived?

(edit typo)

Edited by Don_J

...when should you request a cache to be archived. The way I look at it. If your going to hide you should be taking care of it. And if you cant do that, find someone that will.

SBA is Should be archived pronto.

If the cache is merely in need of some TLC that's not a SBA.

A wet log, dull pencil, or cracked container are just part of the hazards.

They don't mean the cache is no longer findable.

I agree with you about one thing... two weeks is a little soon to post a SBA if you HAVE actually heard from the owner.

As for the rest of your points, you are reading a lot of stuff into the guidelines that just isn't there.

Here's my interpretation of the guideline: A broken container with a long gone owner is definitely a valid reason to post a SBA. Let someone else who will maintain a cache have a shot at the spot. There is NOTHING in the guideline that says a cache has to be "no longer findable" to warrent archiving. A SBA post will alert the reviewer to investigate.

And just briefly... yes the cache container completely belongs to you, the decision about whether it is viable or not doesn't. And, as someone else already pointed out, GS has demonstrated in the past that permission does NOT necessarily trump all other factors. And again, that is ultimately a GS decision, not yours.

....Thanks for the all the feedback on this; I did appreciate the *real-life* reminder but also agree with Bruce that two weeks should be enough time to wait....

Should be enough? Why?

I met a guy on the trail yesterday. He had recently had a total knee replacement. He also enjoyed mountain biking. I wonder if he recovered well enough to totter around a bit after two weeks? A co worker that I just donated some leave to just had an operation. We won't see them for 8 weeks.

Hmmm... Had a guy post a NM on a cache that was fine. He so annoyed my help on the cache that it was two weeks before I could get them to even talk about checking on the cache again.

Two weeks for a response on an email is reasonable for people who are inclined to check and respond to emails, except when they are otherwise occupied and unless your email was of the annoying variety were the best response falls puts the owner in the position of "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing". As for most people I know they don't even check emails that often.

I think you're getting the two weeks should be enough time to wait for a response to an email part confused with someone expecting a cache to be repaired and enabled within two weeks. That's not the case. Two weeks is plenty of time for people, even those who don't check their email everyday or every other day, to read and respond to a polite email about an issue with their cache. I'm not looking for a detailed itinerary of your plan...just a simple "thanks for the email, I'll try to get this fixed as soon as I can". A little communication goes a long way. I wouldn't email an owner, wait two weeks and if no response, log an SBA. No, the two week wait is simply a way to get the ball rolling. After two weeks, another email to the owner and if nothing comes of that, step it up to the next level and get the reviewer involved.

Bruce

I post SBA notes when:

Let me get this straight, since I wasn't clear enough.

- If a cache is clearly set on private property, without the consent of it's rightful owners, causing troubles to geocachers that go after it, I'll post an SBA. Of course that caches can be set on private property, you just have to ask first and wait for a positive answer.

- If an owner doesn't log in a long time and the cache needs attention, like the coords are really offset, a stage of a multi cache gone, etc, then I'll post a SBA.

- If a cache is set by an active geocacher but clearly neglects his role on maintaining a geocache, I'll post a SBA. For example: He makes a hide, the cache is gone in a month, and for 6 months he doesn't replaces it, I'll post a SBA. Why? Well, the guidelines seem pretty clear about these kind of situations:

As the cache owner, you are also responsible for physically checking your cache periodically, and especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.). You may temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to hunt for it until you have a chance to fix the problem. This feature is to allow you a reasonable time – normally a few weeks – in which to arrange a visit to your cache. In the event that a cache is not being properly maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an extended period of time, we may archive or transfer the listing.

This only happens because some geocachers that hide some caches really don't have a plan B. So, they eventually setup caches that they won't maintain or take care. And even then, there are some that won't even consider the adoption by a local cacher.

Still, as some said after, communication is the key. And sometimes, it won't work both ways.