Hiding our first cache

Hi All

We now have 75 finds and thought that we would start putting together our first 'hide'. We thought that once we'd reached 100 finds that we would hide one up. We have a place in mind and there is only one cache nearby, but not too near if you're with me.

We've seen what the normal contents are, and how they dwindle. We are fairly confident now about things, hiding, size of containers etc.

We thought a regular sized hide in and loc & loc box and have been collecting swag as we find it (shops, turning out the cupboards, unwanted Xmas pressies etc). Do you think that a hide is OK after 100 finds or should we go and find another 100 first to really make sure.

We know that we have to hide then fill in the form and wait for approval and are fully conversant with finding the co-ords etc.

We don't want to make any massive gaffe's and discover that "thou shalt not hide before your first thousand" or something similar in the geocaching commandments.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Water-Rats

Edited by Water-Rats

Remember to have your cache hidden BEFORE you submit the cache details, once it's published those first to find hounds are likely to be racing out to find it, something that caught out some of our local new hiders. ;)

Oh blimey :D How embarrassing is that!

We shall get all prepared and celebrate our 100th find with a hide.

The dogs are loving this geocaching lark. The terriers find more than we do :anibad:

Go for it, but don't forget to put in the cache stash note and GET PERMISSION!!!

All too often caches are found by landowners and chucked out - all the landowners I've talked to are happy for caches to be hidden, but had they (or their rangers etc) just found them, they would chuck 'em!

Why wait, if you have done the home work and have a cache to place, Go for it.

We all have to start somewere. Good luck

We need to get some of those big green stickers for the lid and we thought that it would be nice to do the first hundred then hide one. Nice round numbers you know :anibad: We could do with a little more time to gather some nice goodies to put in too.

The Cache Stash Note: Is the wording somewhere on this site or do I need to jot it down next time I go caching? Somewhere on the site where I can just print and laminate would be far easier, naturally.

"Hide and Seek Cache" page, linky, right hand side, second box down "Cache Note"

I copied and pasted, and made a few alterations (English!) to it, including cache name and number, and added an email address for contact if found.

The GAGB have a phone number, which can be used as a contact, should the cache be found by a non-cacher...

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Go and place your caches, make sure you have read the how to place a cache page though, i was questioned by the reviewer when i mentioned wall in my hints, reviewer wanted assurance it was not a dry stone wall, it wasn't, but i should have mentioned that in the review notes (notes only the reviewer sees.)

You will learn by your mistakes and more importantly by the mistakes of others, I would urge you to paint, or camo your containers even just a little, the amount of caches i have found by the reflection of the container through the under growth is staggering.

;)

I generally spray them with Plasti Kote spray (from Halfords), but today i used my 1st camo bag as its hanging in a tree.

I have up till today hidden 3 caches, i take into account parking, footpaths tree cover, kids caching, nice area etc... in fact i have discounted more areas than chosen sites. :D

Sadly my 3rd cache, an off your trolley micro was muggled before FTF, i felt awful for the many people who tried to find it, i can only conclude i was careless and was seen placing it. Knocked me back a bit, but i have thought up an more ingenious cache for the same area when i have time. :anibad:

Today i placed 3 more caches, so i need to write them up and submit them.

Let us know how you get on with your 1st cache, and i bet you check constantly till the FTF gets there. :D

I probably will keep checking it :( It will be on one of our regular dog walking routes. There are a fair few walkers up there but not hordes and hordes of them. I'm sure that we will be walking past it daily for the first few weeks.

Turns out that caching didn't happen for us today. It tipped it down with rain and the dogs were totally uninterested in leaving the warmth and dryness of the house. Caching is more fun with a bunch of terriers. We were also due to take a trip to a friend to have a look at a terrier that she has up for rehoming. That got put off because of the weather too. She had snow, hale and high winds.

I think that we are going to be fair weather cachers for our long walks :) What wimps we are :lol:

If you go to the pinned link at the top of this forum "Resources for geocachers in UK and Ireland", then the "follow the arrow" link, you'll find a section there called "Help the Reviewer". It gives some useful information on what the reviewer will be checking on your cache submission and how you can help to smooth the publication formalities to ensure the swift and happy delivery of your brand new bouncing cache. :(

MrsB

Just put my first caches up for review. I was waiting for the contents of the final to arrive in the post, which they have so I will nip out and place it now!

Run, rabbit, run!!

As soon as that cache is published the FTF hounds will be out after it! :)

MrsB

(You should make sure that the cache is actually in place before submitting your cache listing to the reviewers: If all is well with your cache it can be listed in under 5 minutes :) )

Run, rabbit, run!!

As soon as that cache is published the FTF hounds will be out after it! :)

MrsB

(You should make sure that the cache is actually in place before submitting your cache listing to the reviewers: If all is well with your cache it can be listed in under 5 minutes :) )

That quick! Well it is the final cache of a multi-cache series so hopefully it will take people a bit of time to get to it.

I am quite excited :)