Earth caches are stupid

puddin' trucker

What is the big deal about earth caches? Now, I can possibly see something like the Grand Canyon or Niagra Falls. But lately in these parts we've got a few cachers who are on a rock kick. Yes, large rocks, or better known as glacial erratics. You can't swing a dead cat without practically hitting one. You've seen one rock you've seen them all in my opinion. What really frosts me is that to qualify a find you have to send them a photo of yourself and the rock. I don't have a digital camera at the time, don't really want another one, and it's kind of a pain. I would just ignore them, but I am trying to clean up my unfound list by distance from home and these dang things keep popping up. Is there a way to just ignore these?

If you upgrade to a premium member you can run pocket queries that exclude Earth caches, or you can add them to an ignore list along with other cache types and exclude them that way.

You'll be able to swing a cat without any hindrance.

Yep, just put them on your ignore list and don't worry about them!!

I don't recall seeing it written anywhere on this site that earth caches were a "big deal". Like any cache there are probably outstanding ones and mediocre ones.

An earthcache is just another cache type and the good news is that you can easily filter them out if you don't like them.

What is the big deal about earth caches? Now, I can possibly see something like the Grand Canyon or Niagra Falls. But lately in these parts we've got a few cachers who are on a rock kick. Yes, large rocks, or better known as glacial erratics. You can't swing a dead cat without practically hitting one. You've seen one rock you've seen them all in my opinion. What really frosts me is that to qualify a find you have to send them a photo of yourself and the rock. I don't have a digital camera at the time, don't really want another one, and it's kind of a pain. I would just ignore them, but I am trying to clean up my unfound list by distance from home and these dang things keep popping up. Is there a way to just ignore these?

Stop being a radius slave and find the caches you want to find. If they really bother you that much, support the website and become a premium member. Then put every cache you find "stupid" in your ignore list.

Stop being a radius slave and find the caches you want to find. If they really bother you that much, support the website and become a premium member. Then put every cache you find "stupid" in your ignore list.

do what everyone else said, and to add to that, I like earth caches since they bring you to some cool places.

:( Hey RK, I was liking "radius slave" myself, but it's not in the same category as icon ho at all!

Being as I've never understood the whole radius thing, but do rather lust after icons. Clearly one is weird and demented and the other is kewl and copasetic.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Pack up your dead cats and just say NO! Just make sure they are dead before swinging 'em! Personally, I would avoid members here who belong to the ASPCA.

It sounds like to us that if you feel that if "you've seen one rock you've seen them all" there is plenty to be learned from a little geology. ECs sort of evolve around that.

On the other hand, guard rail micros have so much more to offer! :)

Not sure if earth caches are always "big deals", but they are a nice alternative to just hide & seeking a box full of swag sometimes...Funny, I am wanting to take my kids to our first EC in our area, and they just happen to be "glacial erratics"...lol - Someone even wrote out the history of the evolution of erratics & quarrying that I found quite interesting (from an educational point-of-view). Or, maybe it's because I driven by there for years and never knew they were there. - Now I've got to see 'em! :ph34r:

I can understand what the OP is saying. I think they are closer to benchmarks than geocaches. They certainly arent submitted the same way. I have areas where I can put earthcaches but the things are so convoluted I don't even want to bother.

Last year my sons teacher allowed extra credit if you snapped a pic at a predetermined location. Ticked me off. This means if you didnt have a camera, no soup for you. We had one so that wasn't it. I just don't get it. Offer an alernative for the the homeless kid to get the extra credit. (He wouldn't.)

Same thing with the camera. You used to only need a GPS and sometimes not even that to go geocaching. Now apparently you need a camera. :laughing:

I don't get it either...

I can understand what the OP is saying. I think they are closer to benchmarks than geocaches. They certainly arent submitted the same way. I have areas where I can put earthcaches but the things are so convoluted I don't even want to bother.

Last year my sons teacher allowed extra credit if you snapped a pic at a predetermined location. Ticked me off. This means if you didnt have a camera, no soup for you. We had one so that wasn't it. I just don't get it. Offer an alernative for the the homeless kid to get the extra credit. (He wouldn't.)

Same thing with the camera. You used to only need a GPS and sometimes not even that to go geocaching. Now apparently you need a camera. :anitongue:

I don't get it either...

I can see lots of reasons that some may not like Earthcaches (I like 'em myself - I got two over the weekend but haven't logged yet - don't have my camera cable handy).

However the lack of a camera seems illogical reason to dislike Earthcaches considering the day and time we live in. I'm just not sure how many people that have a GPSr don't have a cell phone. Then the likelihood that that individual doesn't have a camera cell phone is also very unlikely. I would imagine plenty of soup was served on that day since most 5 year old kids have much cooler phones than I have :)

However lets consider that small percentage of folks that don't have camera/cellphone cam. Isn't there / couldn't there be and alternative to the photo portion of most earth caches? Say an alternate question that photo takers are exempt from? If not - well then Hmm. . . I just don't see economics being be barrier.... so I'm not sure where to go from there.

RE: the OP? Not going there. . . .

However lets consider that small percentage of folks that don't have camera/cellphone cam. Isn't there / couldn't there be and alternative to the photo portion of most earth caches? Say an alternate question that photo takers are exempt from? If not - well then Hmm. . . I just don't see economics being be barrier.... so I'm not sure where to go from there.

I don't have a boat and don't see the point in terrain 5 caches hidden in the lake, can we get rid of those? I mean, if you've seen one island, you've seen them all. My bike needs repair, can we get rid of the ones on my nearest list that are in the bike-only park?

Some can debate whether Earthcaches are "real" geocaches, but then look at how many people beg for virtuals to come back too.

As others have pointed out, if you feel like you MUST clear out EVERY cache near you, then more than likely, you're going to find some that you don't enjoy. Either deal with that fact or deal with the fact that your radius will not be "cleared".

Edited by KoosKoos

Same thing with the camera. You used to only need a GPS and sometimes not even that to go geocaching. Now apparently you need a camera. :rolleyes:

I don't get it either...

I can see lots of reasons that some may not like Earthcaches (I like 'em myself - I got two over the weekend but haven't logged yet - don't have my camera cable handy).

However the lack of a camera seems illogical reason to dislike Earthcaches considering the day and time we live in. I'm just not sure how many people that have a GPSr don't have a cell phone. Then the likelihood that that individual doesn't have a camera cell phone is also very unlikely. I would imagine plenty of soup was served on that day since most 5 year old kids have much cooler phones than I have ;)

RE: the OP? Not going there. . . .

I think you are off a bit. I don't have a camera phone. Never have. I have a cheapie that has no frills and I use it rarely. Pay as you go. Mobile phones are a convenience but they arent really a necessity. (With the exception of emergencies.) My kids aren't going to have phones. I already hear about how "everyone at school has one!" :anicute: (Why does a kid need a phone? Do they have a j-o-b? LOL)

Forget about the picture taking. It is not a geocache. It is a game, but it's not a geocache.

I want to look for tupperware da mit. If virtuals aren't permitted, then why are earthcaches. Rhetorical.

I get what the OP is saying. It really just a matter of preference. ;)

Stop being a radius slave

I like that. I am totaly a Radius Slave. I even have several radii (isn't that plural for radius?). Home, work, parents house etc. I am adding that to my signature.

As for the glacial erratics, I am with you. Realy big ones are cool (at least 30m plus per dimention) Medium ones are neat (10m per dimention), but small ones (5m and less), come on. Near me (with in my work radius) there are two almost on top of each other. Give me a brake. However, I do like good earth caches. Some preaty cool ones even in the city.

Question, with the new ALR (or whatever that accronym is) rules, do you realy have to take a picture still? I always do, but is it necisary?

Not sure if earth caches are always "big deals", but they are a nice alternative to just hide & seeking a box full of swag sometimes...Funny, I am wanting to take my kids to our first EC in our area, and they just happen to be "glacial erratics"...lol - Someone even wrote out the history of the evolution of erratics & quarrying that I found quite interesting (from an educational point-of-view). Or, maybe it's because I driven by there for years and never knew they were there. - Now I've got to see 'em! :rolleyes:

Is this one in north Calgary? I had seen this one once before, but it is just in the middle of a residential community. Realy strange. But it is only big enough to make it into the neat catagory.

Edited by Andronicus

Not sure if earth caches are always "big deals", but they are a nice alternative to just hide & seeking a box full of swag sometimes...Funny, I am wanting to take my kids to our first EC in our area, and they just happen to be "glacial erratics"...lol - Someone even wrote out the history of the evolution of erratics & quarrying that I found quite interesting (from an educational point-of-view). Or, maybe it's because I driven by there for years and never knew they were there. - Now I've got to see 'em! :anicute:

Is this one in north Calgary? I had seen this one once before, but it is just in the middle of a residential community. Realy strange. But it is only big enough to make it into the neat catagory.

No, it's in central Indiana. - And these were so "small" that it makes it to the "neat catagory", as well, but not "awesome". :rolleyes:

(It was more interesting for me to get the feel for an Earth Cache. - I'm sure there are some spectacular ones out there somewhere.)

:mad: Can I write up the dead cat as an EarthCache?

Only if it becomes petrified and can be classified on the Moh scale!

WARNING: PETA monitors this thread and even joking about the demise of any animals (including cats and house flies) will result in mass picketing at your home! :)

P.S. If you think I am kidding about the house fly bit, just ask the President!

What did you do on the other two days ?

In truth, they are a fictional special exception to virtual caching , difficult to get approved and in my view overblown. Call them what they are, geological virtual caches, no imprimatur from a "green" organization needed.

Probably got a hold of "Rock In" Down The Highway EarthCache. We were in New Jersey about a year ago looking for a EC or two. After seeing the logging requirements for that one, we opted for something a little less time consuming. We only had a week left on our vacation.

Rockin' Down the Highway is my favorite EarthCache. But, yes, it did take us two or three days to complete, with several hundred miles of driving. Not to mention getting the cachemobile stuck on a sand road. Fortunately, some muggles in a 4WD came by, and pushed us out. And it is very educational, and interesting. We enjoyed it very much.

This would definitely be true. It is intensive.

We went on a trip week before last. We looked at a lot of EarthCache pages. We found eight. Due to time constraints, there were many that we had to pass by. One, in particular, was at a spot I would have loved to visit. But the cache required a hike a mile beyond the point of interest, to observe other unrelated things. Oh, well.