Google Maps To Gpx files

I found some interesting stuff in the Triton forum. Thought i would share it and ask if anyone has used it to route with and how good it was. Someone had posted that they had something that would convert google maps to a gpx file. I tried it and it worked well so I will add the link and let me know if it works for you haven't got any chance to actually try it yet. http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/#

I have tried it and it doesn't necessarily follow say high ways exactly but it seems to navigate pretty well. But for most GPS that don't have turn by turn navigation it is ok. It is kind of the poor mans turn by turn navigation but is awesome and will get you there pretty easy. Better that just trying to drive through farm fields and stuff to get to the cache. Lol

"www.TakItWithMe.com Does this one only work with garmins??"

It looks like it's not just a Garmin only tool from the info posted on the site. Any GPX capable GRSr should work. I didn't think about compatibility with other brands as I only have Garmins; I used it for my 760 Nuvi and Colorado 400t. It was great as after I created my vacation travel maps in Google Maps (using the My Maps feature) I wanted something to easily upload the 40-50 points I had (Hotels, train stations, airports, museums, restaurants, etc.) for each country all at once. Once in the area, I used auto routing to get me there.

To refresh my memory, I just pasted one of my Google MyMaps links into the program's URL load box under the "My Maps to GPS" screen, hit the "load my maps" button and the custom Google map shows up on the program's screen. You can then download the GPX file to your hard drive for transfer to any GPX compatible GPSr. You can also display the GPX file as an option if you want to edit it.

On your GPSr search for waypoints, at least that's how your points appear in the Colorado.

Hope this helps.

It looks like it's not just a Garmin only tool from the info posted on the site. Any GPX capable GRSr should work. I didn't think about compatibility with other brands as I only have Garmins; I used it for my 760 Nuvi and Colorado 400t. It was great as after I created my vacation travel maps in Google Maps (using the My Maps feature) I wanted something to easily upload the 40-50 points I had (Hotels, train stations, airports, museums, restaurants, etc.) for each country all at once. Once in the area, I used auto routing to get me there.

To refresh my memory, I just pasted one of my Google MyMaps links into the program's URL load box under the "My Maps to GPS" screen, hit the "load my maps" button and the custom Google map shows up on the program's screen. You can then download the GPX file to your hard drive for transfer to any GPX compatible GPSr. You can also display the GPX file as an option if you want to edit it.

On your GPSr search for waypoints, at least that's how your points appear in the Colorado.

Hope this helps.

Ok that makes sense not used to google maps that much so i need to create maps using my maps feature that is where i went wrong. Have you used this one alot and is it a better option than the one i found I am using it to work with my Triton 1500.

thanks

matt

Hope this helps.

Ok that makes sense not used to google maps that much so i need to create maps using my maps feature that is where i went wrong. Have you used this one alot and is it a better option than the one i found I am using it to work with my Triton 1500.

thanks

matt

Matt - I've used takitwithme a fair amount, as I make and keep a lot of custom Mymaps on Google. I might develop a new mymap over a month or so; and I've also searched for other relevant "public" mymaps on Google to use their info. So when it's done, I will upload it. If I'm doing results of searches on Google maps, I just use the send to GPS feature of Google maps, but I don't think Triton is available yet as an option, I didn't see it listed. There are Garmin, Tom Tom and a few others right now.

Brian

I managed to get one route to work and upload to geocaching.com to get points along a route but have been unable to get a second one to work. Here is a link to the driving directions I created:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=...ie=UTF8&z=8

I used http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input

to convert the first one but can't seem to get the second one to work.

hmmm my first link doesn't seem to be working on here either maybe that's why it's not converting properly