The Purrfect Cointest

drneal

Fat Tuesday is over, and I certainly couldn't forget the forum felines!

The rules are simple, I want to see a picture of you with your cat, and a little story of your lives (be it one life or nine,) together.

Winner to be picked randomly on/or about April 5, 9PM. Winner to receive:

IMG_NEW-2-2.jpg

I'll start...the pictures are from 1988...no wimpy cats for us!

IMG_NEW-11-1.jpg

Good luck in the cointest!

ILYK

DRCD

! Edited by drneal

How do you put pictures into replies?

First reply evidently post, so try again!

I download my pictures to Photobucket (free), copy the URL (easier to understand after you download a picture,) paste the URL onto my reply, (copy and paste can be found under edit at the top of the page,) highlight the URL by clicking and holding the left mouse button and dragging the cursor across the URL(would that be the right button in the southern hemisphere...but I digress,) which will leave your URL highlighted. click on the little tree icon (insert image,) just below where it says size, and if you have truly been blessed by the Groundspeak gods, your image will appear after you hit the add reply button at the bottom of the page. I like to hit preview post first just to see if all is well.

Anyone got a better, easier to understand way, feel free to reply to the duke, but probably better to e-mail to help this cointest stay on topic!

ILYK

DRCD

8b789105-e332-4318-9673-fd82e8ccca9f.jpg

When Kitty met Baby.

Thorne when he was little with Tom the kitten.

This picture was taken the day we brought Tom home.

Didn't have a good camera yet so sorry about the quality.

Thorne and Tom are 6 1/2 now.

We try not to take photos anymore.

Dad might break lens. lol

Mike

zazth

DSCN0824-2.jpg

DSCN0828-2.jpg

This is my cat Mango. I found him, or I should say, he found me, about 12 years ago when he was a kitten, he followed me home when I was out for a walk. He's older now, so am I, but he still occasionally brings in mice and birds and things as prizes. He frequently likes to fall asleep in very inconvenient places, like the incoming mail box on the kitchen table, or in the middle of the living room floor. I really like Orange & White cats, they always have nice strong personalities.

I just knew you were going to do a cointest for the kitty people too. Thank you Dr. Neal! There are no kittens or cats in my life (only dogs and the puppies) as my son, regretfully, even not he is older, is highly allergic. Weird but that is life. I will still enjoy watching this thread as folks post their favorite photos of the babies.

Now, I don't own a bird but will that be the next cointest? And then maybe one for all other pets..........or maybe the birds could go into a category for birds and all others.

Again - thanks for your cointests!

Cache on - cache happy!

I just knew you were going to do a cointest for the kitty people too. Thank you Dr. Neal! There are no kittens or cats in my life (only dogs and the puppies) as my son, regretfully, even not he is older, is highly allergic. Weird but that is life. I will still enjoy watching this thread as folks post their favorite photos of the babies.

Now, I don't own a bird but will that be the next cointest? And then maybe one for all other pets..........or maybe the birds could go into a category for birds and all others.

Cache on - cache happy!

How are your adorable babies doing? :rolleyes: (The little ones born in mid-February)

The Little one on the right is my Baby , she is a 7th generation. When I was young (about 14) I saw a small kitty in an animal shop with big blue eyes, I paid $10 for it and loved it until the day he died, and the small one in my hand with the orange strip on the right is one of his descendants, and she too one day will have kittens and one of them will stay with me. Thats the baby, and mama and grand mama also live here still. She's full grown now and very very pretty long hair and sweet sweet kitty. She is one of only 3 cats ive ever had that I would call smart. She comes when called, knows her name, knows how to open the door, I love all my fur babys.

See the image here.

Oh!!! This coin is adorable!!!!!! WOW!!!!

Even if my code name is Gatoulis (male kitten), I actually do not have photos with the cats I had! :anibad:

Yes! I had 3 cats! My first one was Kiki! We had found a tiny kitten in our front door one day! I was a child, my sister was too, even if she was a little older than me! We loved that kitten! We took it, and she became a beautiful cat!!! I have to say that kiki comes from Kiriaki (Sunday)! that name exists as a normal female name, but we choosed to call her like that because we found her a Sunday! :D

she was the cleverest cat I have ever seen! she was even learned by her seld, to urinate in my chamberpot!!! She saw me and... WOW!! she was not touching any food that wasn't for her! she was...

when we left from that house to go to an apartment, the owner of the apartment didn't want any animals! We gave the cat to a friend until we manage to take the yes from the apartment owner!

when we did that, a week after, we went to take the cat, but she was gone! During this week, we went 1-2 times to see her! We asked our friend where the cat was and she said that she stole a fish so she send her off! Our cat was in the streets alone??? We couldn't understand why all this! Our friend was a cat lover! she had other animals... our cat wouldn't take any food.... then she told us... ok... I had forgoten to feed her for a couple of days, so... and I throw her in a garden near a road!

We had a fight... but we were feeling guilty for the poor cat! We searched and searched... nothing! We never saw the cat again! ;)

My second cat was Renata! I named her like that becasue that was the name of the girl that gave me the cat! :D She was a beauty! Hey I am talking about the cat! :D ...ok...and the girl was beautiful too! :D

She stayed with us until her last days! she was a black cat with white belly and she had some tiny orange stripes! Not many, but you could see them!

while we had Renata, I found a white kitten that was thrown in a garbadge big box! who could do that??? The cat was tiny, she was full of mucus of eyes, she was so thin...so dirty...

I took her and with the help of my mother we cleaned her, her eyes, we feed her and she became our Asproula! (aspro is white)! Even if she was a female, she and Renata became sister! Always together! when it was time to become mothers, asproula was helping Renata, and renata was helping asproula!!! amazing!!! Unfortunatelly after some years she wanted to go out! there she ate something with poison! :D We didn't managed to help her! we didn't know anything until...

she came home saw us, and said her catish goodbye! :D I will never forget her too!

sorry for the sad stories! Maybe this is the reason I do not have any photos! I know that I had to have! well.. they are still in my mind, still in my heart! sorry that you can not see them!

Ok, enough of sad stories!

My sister had cats too when she was a child! Here are 2 photos! :D

0001.jpg

0002.jpg

My girlfriend is a great cat lover!!! She has many cats! Sorry no photos of them! :D

my godfather (he is my uncle too), had and has cats, dogs, birds... His favorite cat is Yakoumis! :D I know! the name sounds funny! He is an amazing cat!!! My godfather says that sometimes is like a human! he is only missing the voice! :D Now he brought his girlfriend to live with him too! So, my god father has 2 cats...for now!!! :D

One day, while we were out, far away from our home we met this kitty! She was calm, and so pretty! And she looked so much like my first cat, KIKI!!! she was not a stray!

DSC00065.jpg

DSC00067.jpg

Thank you my friend for this cointest! :D

I do not have any pictures of me and Iffy, she is an elusive cat and will not be seen when company is at the house. She is half tabby and half Siamese with the Siamese tendencies.

070203Iffy04.jpg

She is finicky in all ways such as she will not use a litter box and waits at the door to be let out and spends about 10 minutes doing business before wanting back in. She will wake me up about 4:30 am to go out by sitting on my chest and meowing then she will come back in at 4:45 when I leave for work.

babyberniecrop.jpg

Bernie as a kitty.

P3140004-1.jpg

Bernie as a bigboy

P3060012.jpg He comes running anytime you tap his brush in the footstool.

Bernie Decided Wedge, our dog, needed to diet.

P2090010-1.jpg

About how many pounds is that cat...or is it all fur.....Bernie looks like a mini house....I love it...

He weighs about 22 pounds, but his fur does puff him out a bit too. He's a ragdoll cat that I had gotten for my wife shortly after we met. He has been a father to our pitbull/lab mix and to our younger cat and a few other puppies and cats along the way and has been extremely patient with all of them.. or maybe too lazy. They all get along very well as long as they remember he is boss. They never forget it :( Most morning he doubles as a bearskin rug in front of the bathroom sink and we have to work around him.

Edited by catsnfish

First let me start out by saying I have loved all the other cat pictures and the stories behind them. Now it is my turn to let you into my life with Max...

As you can tell by my avatar, I do have a cat myself. I don't think I would ever try and keep a house without a cat. Over the years we have had many cats, most of which we got when they were kittens and kept them all the way throughout their lives. Our current feline master (we are their slaves) is named Max. He is a pure bred Fawn Abyssinian that we actually rescued from our local shelter. Him and a bunch of other pure bred cats and kittens were rescued from a hoarder. Most of them had a variety of medical problems from not being properly cared for and quite a number of them had socailization problems as well. A large number of the rescued kitties had to be put down due to their medical and social issues. Max was one of the lucky ones, he didn't have any medical problems nor any social problems.

I had worked as a manager for a pet store many many years ago and we had a customer who had an abyssian cat that was leash trained. This customer would bring his aby by once a month or so and I fell in love with the breed.

Now we fast forward about 20 years and my daughter is volunteering at the shelter. She comes home one day in tears telling me about all the cats and kittens that came in from the hoarder and how much it hurt her to see the bad shape some of these kitties were in. She did tell me that they had rescued a number of aby's from this persons house and told me that I should go over and take a look at them since our current kitty was getting up in years and wasn't doing so well. Since I was living in an estrogen household (my mother, my daughter, my girlfriend, my girlfriends daughter, and a female cat) I knew I had to find another male to help thin it out. The next day we headed over to the shelter and I began looking over the cats they had there. Most of them were just huddled in the corners of their cages, but one male aby was up and just kept walking back and forth rubbing against the bars and crying for attention. After contemplating my decision for about 30 seconds I had made my choice. We took Max (my new son!!) home the very next day! :)

Max has been a source of amusement and a great companion since that day. He has had his ups and downs, including the time he tried to eat a black widow spider and got bit in the mouth. I have never in my life had a cat that was so affectionate and caring. He always seems to know when someone is feeling down and will spend hours sitting in their lap or getting up in their face doing the head butt thing on their chin or nose until they come out of it. Like most cats, he loves to nap all day and has a knack for finding the warmest places no matter how inconvenient it may be to his human slaves. He also loves to play and will chase just about anything around the room; his favorite toys are balled up napkins or aluminum foil.

Below are just a few of the many pictures I have of Max. However as I sorted through them I noticed that I don't have any pictures of me and Max together. If that disqualifies me from the cointest, then so be it. I have actually enjoyed writing about my kitty and sharing his story and pictures with everyone here...

Sleeping on the desk in the last of the sunlight

Sleepingdesk.jpg

Where are you working today? This is MY chair and desk...

You can see that I placed a blanket into the cubby on my desk for him to nap in when he allowed me to work...

CantWork.jpg

I found another warm place to nap!!!

MonitorNap.jpg

Hiding in the recycle bin...

Recycle.jpg

How did I get up here? And how do I get down??? :(

Closet.jpg

A little story behind this picture. If you look outside, you can see a bunch of bird seed that spilled outside on the patio. Max noticed that a bunch of small birds were flocking in to eat all the spilled seed off of the ground and that the birds flew away whenever he approached the window. So he found that he could jump into the trashcan and wait for them there. Then he would pop out and scare the birds. It was one of the funniest things I have ever seen a cat do. he knew that he couldn't get outside to catch them, so he did the next best thing and kept scaring them all day like this. We were all rolling on the floor watching him do this. He would sit and wait for them for 20-30 minutes and then BAM out he came and away the birds would go...

Trashcan1.jpg

So that is our story about Max. He even has his own website for all his fans (although it needs an update). You can check it out by Clicking here...

Cache on - cache happy!

How are your adorable babies doing? :( (The little ones born in mid-February)

My babies are doing well ~ thank you ~ em sent.

Aren't these kitties cute? I just love seeing pets which are loved ~ and even some larger cats and some people with adventure in their lives.

Good luck all!

Edited by hollora

We have 4 indoor cats and our outdoor barn cats but my special kitty is Angel. He walked around the side of our house when he was a little kitten and adopted us. We think someone must have dropped him off because all of the other cats were tiger. He must be part Siamese because he has the crossed eyes and the meow that they are known for. Angel used to be an indoor/outdoor cat until one night when he drug himself himself home. We aren't sure what had happened to him but he was a mess. His back leg was a mangled mess, so we made an emergency call to our vet and left him in their capable hands. When he came home he was minus one back leg, several toes on each front foot and had a permanent kink in his tail. We made the spare room into "his room" and he healed remarkably well. A year or so later he developed urinary tract stones. After numerous surgeries they finally cleared up although he is once again minus a few parts. I think that he has a wing named after him at the vet clinic. So here he is, looking smug as ever, with the daughter part of rbsb178 . In the background on the couch is one of our other cats Snidgewhistle but we will save her story for another time.EmandAngel006.jpg

Our Loki was named after the Norse god of mischief and mayhem and certainly lives up to his name! When we fist got him he was so tiny and cuddly, he loved to curl up on my chest and nap- especially when I was trying to work on my laptop. :)

He is definately the king of the castle and has us trained well! Loki loves clearing the table off (whether you want it or not!) and will empty the coffee table every night after we go to bed. In the morning we find whatever had the misfortune of being on the table scattered across the living room! He is so very curious, usually about the things we wish he would stay out of, and *loves* to drink out of the faucet!

Enjoying a nap with Sofi

Loki004copy.jpg

When he used to fit in the palm of Holmbiorns hand!

Loki008copy-1.jpg

Loki (almost) all grown up... notice the horns on his forehead? :ph34r:

Loki052.jpg

MIAU!!!! :rolleyes:

Nice cats!!!! Beautiful photos!!!!!! :D

Hmm... where is Bourgesfour with the photos of my Godson, Nikos the cat??? :blink:

B):D:D

Here we are!

This is Nikos with Leah just now:

LeahandNikos-1.jpg

He is getting big!!!!!!!!!!! We did name him after Gatoulis, lol! After we got him, we were all trying to think of a good name for him. I said "Well, Gatoulis is the name for a male kitten in Greek, Nikos told me", and the family said "oohhhhhhhh, Nikos is the perfect name for him!" So, that was that :D

Here he is hiding out in Leah's doll house a while back when he was a bit smaller....We couldn't find him anywhere and then Leah spotted him hiding out there...

NikosIntheDollhouse.jpg

He even has his own clay sculpture thanks to Laval K-9 :D

BigNikosandLittleNikos.jpg

And his own cache!

GC1N9WA Minet Nikos

He is so fun! He loves to play fetch and drink out of the toilet :D We are sure he is part dog!

I know I am a total dork for admitting this, but my crew has their own myspace page. I entered this pic in photo contest and came in 1st place. I put the aquarium screensave ron my laptop and my cat would pounce on it knocking the screen backwards and flat on the table.

l_98cf68f028d47c74653323f8bc5d323f.jpg

One of my other kitties got drunk and "earned" some beads.

l_30be6403ac9b49afd3c06e71e912b312.jpg

l_cd4e6b2f6c7d3946821a6106728de26c.jpg

If you are familiar with LOLCATZ you will enjoy these. My orange cat Maxwell is a total ham for the camera.

l_958a872e812f068055b635744c479dd8.jpg

l_c3ed2371b568c6fe5c3a81439dd09226.jpg

My first time participating in a cointest, but thankfully, my girlfriend and I (the both of us compromising thy_avatar) love our cats!

Our two cats are Disa, aged 2 yrs, and Luna, aged 7 months. Disa was our first kitten we adopted from the Baltimore Animal Rescue & Care Shelter; she was 8 months old. She's part tabby, part Bengal, which gives her some beautiful coloring and some astounding athletic abilities. As for Luna, we recently adopted her from a fostering friend at the tender age of 5 months; as far as her medical history states, she was born missing most of her tail. She was with her twin sister (fully-tailed, as it were) when we adopted Luna.

Ok, on to the pictures!

HPIM1742.jpg

HPIM1759.jpg

HPIM1806.jpg

HPIM1802.jpg

HPIM1583.jpg

HPIM1817.jpg

HPIM1607.jpg

HPIM1768.jpg

Disa is gorgeous!! does she like water like bengals do? Luna is adorable as well, looks like you have a pair of happy cats!

Disa actually hates water :ph34r: It may be in part from a mutually-traumatic bathing experience when she was a kitten, though. She's getting more "ok" with it, but by no means what's typical of Bengals. Luna, however, has jumped in the toilet before (mainly trying to jump on the toilet seat, and not checking to make sure the lid is down :unsure:), and enjoys playing in the sink if you're using the toilet. :rolleyes: Luna: cute, but not so smart.

Here's a picture of Twitch helping Bruce read the newspaper. Cats love paper! We never thought of ourselves as cat people until this kitty moved in. He was a stray that I'd found a home for, but then the new owner had to move and gave him back to me. I couldn't take him to the SPCA, so we kept him for a while until I could find another home for him. After a week or two I just accepted that we were it! He must have had a tough life when he was young, because he's afraid of children, dogs, most cats, boxes, and laundry baskets.

Twitchreadingthepaper.jpg

babyberniecrop.jpg

Bernie as a kitty.

P3140004-1.jpg

Bernie as a bigboy

P3060012.jpg He comes running anytime you tap his brush in the footstool.

Bernie Decided Wedge, our dog, needed to diet.

P2090010-1.jpg

About how many pounds is that cat...or is it all fur.....Bernie looks like a mini house....I love it...

He weighs about 22 pounds, but his fur does puff him out a bit too. He's a ragdoll cat that I had gotten for my wife shortly after we met. He has been a father to our pitbull/lab mix and to our younger cat and a few other puppies and cats along the way and has been extremely patient with all of them.. or maybe too lazy. They all get along very well as long as they remember he is boss. They never forget it :) Most morning he doubles as a bearskin rug in front of the bathroom sink and we have to work around him.

He looks like His Royal Boo-ness, my cat (also a Ragdoll)

DSC01872.jpg

His_Booness-1.jpg

Edited by ATMouse

I love all the pictures and stories in this cointest!! I'm not entering the cointest as I already have u purrfect cat geocoin, but would like to share some pictures of our two cats as well.

First Mizuki. She looks a bit like Max from JohnMac56. Mizuki (or Zuki in short) is a half Abyssinian, half Siamese female cat.

Here she just a little kitten, four weeks old and sleeping together with her sister. This is the first time we saw her :-)

099a02fb-b971-4f63-8278-3d8b6a93d9d3.jpg

When we brought her home at twelve weeks old, we discovered she really likes Heineken beer (but of course she never gets it). She's got strange taste for a cat. Loves rice and indian pappadums. Everything eastern...

4409bc1c-56f3-486f-901c-176d121d0e02.jpg

She's been acting like a princess from the start and I've never seen a cat that needs that much attention and has that much energy!! Eventually our other cat gave in and luckily they get along very well now.

1a70fce1-c17b-4b22-8050-bff29e7964c5.jpg

Zuki is the most active and most intelligent cat I ever had. She can be either very sweet or driving you completely crazy! When she has too much energy, shé 's like a rocket all day long, and she really growls like a lion instead of making normal cat noises ;-)

c93df6ba-c580-45f4-8603-8049a34664a5.jpg

Lucky for us, she loves sleeping as well once in a while:

ebeecdda-8b47-43c6-952e-ec782586d2a7.jpg

And she thinks she is the the Boss in the house:

ecc19461-2ebd-44ad-938d-46e88daeab7e.jpg

Edited by Li-Z

And then our other cat Zappa. She's a very sweet and easygoing cat. A bit shy, likes to sleep on the couch or outside in the sun most of the day. And in between she likes to play or cuddle. Altough she got more active and playful since Mizuki came to live with us. She doesn't have much strange habits. Except that she love to lick everyone and everything. She thinks she needs to 'clean' the phone, my keybord, my sweater, my hands and of course Mizuki as well. And then we have to clean the phione, the keybord etc. again ;-)

Just like Mizuki she likes to 'talk' a lot and let you know she's there.

66845f16-9267-41a1-bf6c-faaacf04cd66.jpg

9a59d284-42cf-4334-865d-bd91daeaf4a0.jpg

I think Zappa likes Mizuki....:

30cc02b3-ff13-462e-b0fd-7b97bc7aaeff.jpg

Another one together:

30e6603d-d7eb-4093-827c-046e4c220ec9.jpg

His Royal Boo-ness is a handsome fellow!!The ragdolls are really an enjoyable breed, how much does your Boo? weigh? He looks to have been fed a bit more sensibly that Bernie :)

He is a BIG fellow, but not fat - about 20 lbs. Ragdolls are supposed to be big - that's why we got him.

He had rather a rough start in life; his first owner was a woman who had a Ragdoll female and wanted to get a friend for her. Well, she hadn't asked her girl FIRST and she HATED Boo...made his life a living hell. She wouldn't let Boo use the litterbox in peace, even.

So we got him (paid for him, in fact), because we had been wanting a Ragdoll. He lives with us and our two dogs. Our youngest dog, Flyn the flatcoated retriever, is his best buddy.

bestfriends.jpg

He is a lovely fellow! Sweet and gentle, the most gentle cat I've ever known. My only problem with him is he WON'T be treated. He only eats his kibble. I'd love to be able to give him a nibble of something nice - a bit of turkey, a smigen of hamburger...nope. It is all Not Food.

Edited by ATMouse

We didn't realize Bernie was a ragdoll until he was several years old. we came across a photo that looked just like him and the page was talking about Ragdolls, the more we read, the more we knew he was definitely one, in fact he could be a poster child for ragdoll behavior. They are the gentlest cats we've ever known as well and very tolerant of everything except an empty food bowl, he will eat cat treats but won't touch people food at all.

I certainly have enjoyed seeing the pictures and reading the stories about all the feline friends. Aren't we lucky to have been chosen by such wonderful creatures? I'm sending my entry. It's a picture of me and my cat Suze Q aka Zeta.

Three years ago, my son and I went to adopt a calico cat after the death of my cat, Smudge. We got to the owner's house and found three kittens: the calico, a male kitten and Suze. My son picked up the calico and said, "We're taking this one home." Meanwhile, I was loving on Suze. She immediately molded herself to my shoulder, laid her cheek up against mine and purred. Oh my! I told my son, "No, we are taking THIS kitten home." After much gnashing of teeth, you guessed it, we brought both kittens home. They have been our delight. It's the first time I have had sister cats and it has been a wonderful experience.

Suze has a very demanding personality. When it is meal time, she will make a pest of herself until you stop and feed her. You can bet she is the first to the food bowl and will even "bully" my older cat until she gives up her portion to Suze. She is wide open until it's time to sleep. Then she will cry until I help her find an appropriate napping spot. It could be in one of her favorite chairs, in my lap, on my bed, in a linen closet or in a spot of sun. She still likes to "ride" on my shoulder and will let me carry her around the house and out to the mailbox that way. Suze never backs down from a challenge and this has proved for some interesting and amusing situations. She loves to climb on top of doors and to the top of shelves without consideration of how she will get down. She faced off with a copperhead snake 5 feet long, not giving up until my husband killed the snake! Sometimes, she visits neighbors and comes home smelling like bacon! Once, she went visiting and got locked up in a garage for a weekend. She slept for 3 days after that adventure! Our lives have been enriched by all of our cats, but I am especially thankful for my sweet Suze Q.

Thanks for the cointest!

mollysuze.jpg

I was adopted by this cat about 3 months ago.

Shadow.jpg

The picture is of Shadow and my lap.

The story is how I got Shadow. My aunt went into the cellar one day and found her sitting on the top step patiently waiting for someone to find her. This is when we learned the last ice storm was too much weight and it broke the outside cellar door. The hole was just large enough for her to climb through. She was nothing but skin and bones.

You couldn't ask for a better cat. She will follow you all over the house (hence the name) and if there is no one to follow she just finds a lap to curl up on and goes to sleep.

Shadow1.jpg

Shadow laying on my side.

Shadow is a sweetie for sure. I had a black cat named, Sam, when I was a little girl. I cut his ear with pinking shears one time and he forever had a zigzag ear. Before anyone gets upset... let me tell you, he was a fierce Tom and was forever getting into fights. His other ear had been bitten and I was just trying to make them match!

Does anyone have neighbor cats who come to visit?