pn-40

I am surpirsed this hasn't been moved yet.

Odd, I don't see a "report this post" message from you. Even so, no harm was done by having a topic in the wrong forum for a few hours.

I am moving this thread from the Geocaching Topics forum to the GPS and Technology forum.

Small screen, limited map options outside US, paperless caching cumbersome from what I hear. :rolleyes:
From what you hear? Ever owned one or used one?

Small screen? Yup, about the same size as Garmin's widely used eTrex series. High resolution and really bright, good contrast.

Limited maps outside the US? Absolutely true. But very good complete maps inside the USA, routable street level and topo contours included with the purchase, not a separate/expensive purchase option as with some other brands. Note the OP is in Stillwater OK; about as far "inside" the US as one can get :unsure:

Paperless caching is cumbersome? Huh? You can load complete cache description (including hiunts & logs) individually directly from the Geocaching site, or en masse with from pocket queries. Unless having too much utility at your fingertips is cumbersome, I don't know what you mean here.

I could also tell you what IS wrong with the PN-40, as I actually DO own one. It's an ugly shade of orange, for one thing. And the lanyard connection is on the top, not the bottom. And the buttons aren't backlit. And a good set of fully charged NiMH batteries only last 7-8 hours before you need to change them. And it's a bit bulkier/heavier than some competing models. And the +/- battery markings inside the case are small, hard to read. And they use a funny, custom connection cable instead of a regular mini-USB. Edit to add: Hmm, those are mostly usability details -- maybe they could concentrate less on "geek tech" and hire someone to look at "human factors" in design.

I could go on, but I think the benefits FOR ITS PRICE outweigh the problems. You can get a cheaper GPS that's not as good, or a better GPS that's a lot more expensive. The PN-40 hits the sweet spot.

Edited by lee_rimar

I saw on another thread that the OP had gotten a Triton 300 as an exchange on his explorist and was thinking about selling the triton and buying a PN-40. Sooo....

Maybe he got the PN-40 before selling his Triton and figured the Triton worked better for Geocaching and wants to return the PN-40? B)

...And yes, I do use a Triton 400 :rolleyes:

As far as Geocaching goes I think my Triton 400 is great, I don't need no stinking paper! :unsure:

Edited by SkellyCA

we;; thanx for the info and input. i did get the triton 300 and it is ok but not what my explorist was. it is a simi paperless but it has a crappy map and is not nearly customizable as i need it to be. i am still wanting the pn-40 just have to wait till i get rid of the triton to get it.(have it listed on ebay) and soooo sorry about putting this in the wrong forum. :rolleyes:

we;; thanx for the info and input. i did get the triton 300 and it is ok but not what my explorist was. it is a simi paperless but it has a crappy map and is not nearly customizable as i need it to be. i am still wanting the pn-40 just have to wait till i get rid of the triton to get it.(have it listed on ebay) and soooo sorry about putting this in the wrong forum. :rolleyes:

I thought I'd add my thoughts.... :unsure: I have/use a Triton 400 and a PN-20. I prefer the PN-20. They are both great but the PN-20 is way more user friendly and the included mapping software is unmatched.

Why do people think they should give advice to a specific unit when they don't even own one? Lee Rimar said it very well, and yes I DO own one, and still own a couple of Garmins, did own Magellans.... about a dozen total. They all have good points and bad points.

I wonder this myself! It's one thing to give opinion, but to make statements which don't hold water will not help anyone!

Why do people think they should give advice to a specific unit when they don't even own one? Lee Rimar said it very well, and yes I DO own one, and still own a couple of Garmins, did own Magellans.... about a dozen total. They all have good points and bad points.

I wonder this myself! It's one thing to give opinion, but to make statements which don't hold water will not help anyone!

It's called rumor mongering. It doesn't require facts to be coupled with experience and allows the information to be skewed.

Edited by TotemLake

Why?

What Is Wrong With The PN-40?

Small screen, limited map options outside US, paperless caching cumbersome from what I hear. :anibad:

I owned a PN-40 for about a week and returned it. There was a lot of hype for geocachers. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to transfer my pocket queries to the Unit itself. The software was very difficult to use. The power connection was non standard. I had to update the firmware to get geocaching to work at all. I finally figured out how to load geocaches one at a time through the geocaching.com website. But, who wants to load Geocaches one at a time? It doesn't allow GSAK the ability to manage your caches. I have used the Delorme Earthmate PN-40 and think that the Garmin 60CSx is better.

Why?

Small screen, limited map options outside US, paperless caching cumbersome from what I hear. :anibad:

I owned a PN-40 for about a week and returned it. There was a lot of hype for geocachers. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to transfer my pocket queries to the Unit itself. The software was very difficult to use. The power connection was non standard. I had to update the firmware to get geocaching to work at all. I finally figured out how to load geocaches one at a time through the geocaching.com website. But, who wants to load Geocaches one at a time? It doesn't allow GSAK the ability to manage your caches. I have used the Delorme Earthmate PN-40 and think that the Garmin 60CSx is better.

It's too bad you quickly gave up. There is a macro that handles pushing a PQ to the GPS now and there is work being done to make GSAK compatible. The software isn't THAT difficult, you just have to get your mind to quit trying to wrap around a menu based system and realize the tabbed system does make sense.

I do know the 60csx went through a few firmware updates so having to complain about this is academic doncha think? What's really cool is the firmware update came out soon after the release providing one more reason the customer support is supreme over any other brand out there right now.

But, who wants to load Geocaches one at a time?

I like the convenience of targeting, uploading and going. Of course, my style of caching is likely completely different from yours which makes this game pretty unique in its ability to accomodate all styles of playing.

Why?

The Topo7 software is a but clunky and not very intuitive, but if you put in the time you can figure it out. As far as not allowing GSAK to manage caches. That is simply not true. I've been using GSAK to manage caches for my PN40. When I'm done I simply click on the Convert to GPX selection and load that file to my unit through Topo 7.

As far as the non standard connection, I never saw that as an issue. Many Garmin and Magellan units use non standard connections. And updating firmware to bring in new features is common for all makes. We eTrex, 60CSX, Colorado and Oregon users have been using firmware updates to add new features to our units all along.

As far as the one at a time restriction for geocaches, someone wrote a macro what works nicely to load

your entire PQ with full paperless caching capability. It is slow, but works great. Also, DeLorme is working on an app to take care of this limitation and it will hopefully be released soon.