So, buying a new gps...

jdcb

Or at least new to me. There are two available and i haven't used either model. My choices are the Garmin Legend (the blue one) or a Garmin Rino 120. Which would be the better pick (I'm thinking the Rino due to the radio, but this will be a geocaching tool first, so want the most accurate/durable).

Or at least new to me. There are two available and i haven't used either model. My choices are the Garmin Legend (the blue one) or a Garmin Rino 120. Which would be the better pick (I'm thinking the Rino due to the radio, but this will be a geocaching tool first, so want the most accurate/durable).

Not the Legend, unless it's the Legend H, and I've not heard much about the Rino units. What price range are you looking at??

The legend uses older tech which will not keep signal in coverage (you'll lose signal under trees and around tall buildings or canyons and such), the "H" has the higher sensitive eceiver chip allowing it to get better reception.

Reception is EVERYTHING when caching. If you can't walk into the woods and keep signal, you're going to be banging your head against the trees and wishing you had a btter GPS! Just MHO!

Reception is EVERYTHING when caching. If you can't walk into the woods and keep signal, you're going to be banging your head against the trees and wishing you had a btter GPS! Just MHO!

Oh totally. I was using my bothers Garmin Etrex, the yellow one. I just up and refused to use it anymore when I went geocaching with my brother. I was showing an accuracy of 3 m and was reading at zero, and he was walking right up to it 20m's away.

The legend is $80, they guy is asking $160 for the Rino

Oh totally. I was using my bothers Garmin Etrex, the yellow one. I just up and refused to use it anymore when I went geocaching with my brother. I was showing an accuracy of 3 m and was reading at zero, and he was walking right up to it 20m's away.

The legend is $80, they guy is asking $160 for the Rino

Unless the Legend is the "H" (should say Legend H or something to that extent), it'll be the same as the yellow. It IS the same as the yellow except it offers maps as well.

Is your limit $160? You can get some realy good units for that range, or some very nice units for a bit more! For $160 or less, you can probably come up with the DeLorme PN-20, this is a great unit, just has slow processing (which could be a problem for road routing, but the other features really make this unit shine over similarly priced units).

One way to go is to get on amazon.com and bring up a few GPS units...the Venture HCx, Legend H (or whatever they have these days), the DeLorme PN-20 and PN-40 and any others you might want to compare. Amazon.com has some very detailed descriptions as well as reviews!!

If you're serious about geocaching spend the extra money and invest in something you'll be happy with as you develop geosence. Definitely consider a unit that provides paperless caching and a good reliable receiver. The radio won't help you at all unless you have another radio to talk to and they only have a range of about 1/4 mile or so unless your line of sight. Think about a Colorado, Oregon or PN-20/40. Also the GPSMAP 60CS series is a great GPS, but doesn't have paperless caching. Don't waste your money on something you'll outgrow in a couple of months.

Edited by RonFisk

Thing is right now, I'm gpsless. Don't got one, so haven't been able to cache since last summer unless I was with someone or knew the area really well and could find it without one, and I can't spend the $600 for an Oregon. Gonna check out the Garage Sale section on here after lunch.

If you're serious about geocaching spend the extra money and invest in something you'll be happy with as you develop geosence. Definitely consider a unit that provides paperless caching and a good reliable receiver. The radio won't help you at all unless you have another radio to talk to and they only have a range of about 1/4 mile or so unless your line of sight. Think about a Colorado, Oregon or PN-20/40. Also the GPSMAP 60CS series is a great GPS, but doesn't have paperless caching. Don't waste your money on something you'll outgrow in a couple of months.

I'd echo this!!

Thing is right now, I'm gpsless. Don't got one, so haven't been able to cache since last summer unless I was with someone or knew the area really well and could find it without one, and I can't spend the $600 for an Oregon. Gonna check out the Garage Sale section on here after lunch.

Have you guys used the Delorme's, they look pretty good, I've never heard of them.

Have you guys used the Delorme's, they look pretty good, I've never heard of them.

NOW you're talking!! YES, I own the PN-40 and I must say, it's AWESOME!! For the $330 or so, you get everything you'll need right in the box. Maps included, routing in the box, paperless YOU BET!! I highly recommend this unit to anyone looking for a new GPS and has any interest at all in caching!

Love my PN-40!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

And I own a PN20. If you can afford it, go with the 40. The speed, extra memory and features are worth it. However if you are on a budget, definitely consider a 20. Its a very capable unit for caching. The maps are a HUGE plus, and DeLorme offers a 30 day guarantee so you can return it if you decide its not for you.

Where are we seeing the pn40 for 330? I'm seeing 399 at cheapest on thier website. If I'm going to consider spending above $200, I'd like new...

Disregard, my friend. The PN-40 isn't for you, as you are in Canada and the PN-40 doesn't have maps for you! Xmap might be helpful, but I can't recommend it as I don't know anything about it! Maybe someone else could be of help there. Xmap is a mapping software used with the PN series to import maps!

Amazon.com is a great place to buy from, this is where you'll find the price I mentioned (or maybe cheaper, haven't checked in awhile to know where they've gone with their prices). You can also compare several other GPS units in amazon.com, just do a search!!

Sorry, the PN-40 would have been a great unit for you, maybe you should think about moving a bit south?? :rolleyes:

With that one out, your next best would be the Garmin Colorado (look on amazon.com for pricing), Garmin 60CSx (or any of the other Garmins in the range you want to spend! Good luck!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

I'm reading on Delorme's forums that you can use xmap with the canadian maps without much issue, only side-effect is you can't plan routes with the map (which I don't care about). I'll call delorme tonight for some presales info.

I'm reading on Delorme's forums that you can use xmap with the canadian maps without much issue, only side-effect is you can't plan routes with the map (which I don't care about). I'll call delorme tonight for some presales info.

Great! Please post what you learn, I am interested in hearing more about the Xmap!

Hang in there! You'll find something you're happy with. I have a love/hate relationship with my Colorado, but if you can overlook some of it personality traits it's a great unit. It does only have a 2D compass, so you have to hold it level to use it. The PN20/40 have 3D. That's not a problem for me as I rarely use the compass anyhow. For that matter no Garmin units have a 3D compass. That a real shame. USB2 would also be nice. Just don't rush into something you'll regret later.

Garmin eTrex Legend HCx - $188:

http://www.pcnation.com/web/details.asp?it...81AA&GEN0=Y

Garmin eTrex Vista HCx - $225:

http://www.pcnation.com/web/cart_stage.asp

DeLorme Earthmate PN-40 - $340:

http://www.amazon.com/Delorme-AE-7985-201-...1646&sr=8-1

DeLorme Earthmate PN-20 - $140:

http://www.amazon.com/Delorme-AE-7843-201-...1986&sr=1-1

I have had several of those units (currently own the Legend HCx and PN-40, and previously owned a PN-20), and they are very nice. If you want to spend the extra $100 for Xmap and spend the time making the maps for Canada, then the PN-40 is an awesome unit, but I think it's way out of the price range you were looking for if you factor in Xmap. Now, you could go down to the PN-20, which I have also owned, and do the same thing with Xmap, but with either PN series handheld, you won't be able to make use of the Imagery Subscription, which is one of the benefits of the units.

For you, I would recommend the Garmin Legend HCx, it has a high-sensitivity receiver, nice color screen, expandable memory, and it holds signal very well in cover. Plus, it's right around the price you wanted. But for a little more, you could move up to the Vista HCx, basically the same as the Legend HCx, but adds an electronic compass and barometric altimeter. And you can get routeable Canadian maps from Garmin, although that is an extra cost.

Garmin eTrex Legend HCx - $188:

http://www.pcnation.com/web/details.asp?it...81AA&GEN0=Y

For you, I would recommend the Garmin Legend HCx, it has a high-sensitivity receiver, nice color screen, expandable memory, and it holds signal very well in cover. Plus, it's right around the price you wanted. But for a little more, you could move up to the Vista HCx, basically the same as the Legend HCx, but adds an electronic compass and barometric altimeter. And you can get routeable Canadian maps from Garmin, although that is an extra cost.

Much better deal on the Legend HCx with CA maps included here: LINK

Have borrowed and used both the Garmin Legend and the Vista HCX. Just purchased the Vista HCX and am very happy. Found that you can get great deals on the internet, new not Refurbs - look closely to make sure it's not a refurb/ unless it's a reputable company. Walmart.com had some deals also.

Edited by Broom61

Have borrowed and used both the Garmin Legend and the Vista HCX. Just purchased the Vista HCX and am very happy. Found that you can get great deals on the internet, new not Refurbs - look closely to make sure it's not a refurb/ unless it's a reputable company. Walmart.com had some deals also.

I've owned lots of refurb electronics, and I've never had a problem with any of it. I say, if you find an even better deal on a refurb'd unit, take it as long as it has a factory warranty on it. But that Legend HCx deal at Costco is smoking, especially since it comes with the City navigator software!

When I got into geocaching two months ago, I purchased a reburb'd Vista HCX for about $200. It's a great little unit, and I personally used the electronic compass quite a bit. However, my wife immediately took to geocaching, so sharing one unit got old quickly (shame, shame, LOL!) and I really wanted to go the paperless route. So, after a bunch of reading on these and other forums, I purchased a PN-40, taking advantage of Delorme's $50 rebate. Thus far, I've been really happy with the PN-40, and I'm a Mac user, so don't get to take advantage of everything the unit has to offer.

In your price range, I would consider both the Legend Hcx, as well as the PN-20. You just have to decide what is most important for you, and how you're going to use it. That will help narrow things down quite a bit.

Best of luck, and let us know how it goes.

Thismorning I bought the Venture HC for $200 Came with a car mount, car power addapter, and the MapSource MetroGude Canada software.

Not going to open the package till I do a little more research, but it seems to look like a good unit. It was on sale, so I bumped my price range a little.

I've been very happy with my PN-20. The only flaw is the slowness when doing on-the-fly road routing. If you do it in advance on Topo 7, there's no problem.

I have a couple of observations to add to what the others are saying. In addition to geocaching, I'm also a cyclist. The features for cycling are first rate. In topo 7, there is a setting to tell it to plot a road route for a cyclist as opposed to a car. After rides (and cache trips) I transfer the track record back to my PC as a log for my bike ride or caching trip.

Another good feature is the service. In fact, to me it's the number 1 advantage that DeLorme has over other units I've owned. DeLorme does not outsource their support to India and they're very responsive. I also managed to crack the outer screen of the case (totally my fault.) For a fee (I don't remember what it was) they replaced it the broken case and returned the unit to me very quickly.

I had a problem with my Magellan and it was difficult to communicate (as in understanding their English) with their support people. I once tried ordering a replacement USB cable and they sent me the wrong one.