NEW COIN: Dark_Onyx 1982 2009 Personal Geocoin "Fantasy Butterfly"

dark_onyx1982

After many months of off again, on again artistic block getting this design just how i want it I am now stuck on color combinations. I would love to hear your ideas. I will be using all translucent hard enamels and most likely minting this coin in polished gold. Any ideas?

l_f2329ec3a3ee4565bd6c44554087c00e.jpg

l_7fc8339c53e14b5dbe129513141459bd.jpg

This coin means a lot to me I feel it relects my fun quirky side. I absolutely love butterflies, but i wanted to put a different spin on the normal butterfly look. I call this my fantasy butterfly. Thank you for any inspiration you can provide. :huh:

Edit to add: These will be trackable on geocaching.com.

Edited by Eartha

Love this design.

I would like to see another metal finish, The Nickel would be nice also and maybe a couple of Copper Finish.

Since this is a Fantasy Butterfly, You can go anywhere with the colors,

from deep rich color to Bright Sunny colors.

I can't wait to see the final and would purchase.

JMO,

Opalsns

I like the design a lot. I tend to lean toward the dark jewel tones in preference. I bet black or that deep purple with the design in gold would look very cool.

I also like a choice in metals when buying coins but that is certainly up to the person forking out the dough. :huh:

I thought about doing a "royal" version with jewel tones, but a lot of the darker translucents make it hard to see the underlying design through. My mom is gonna bring me her collection of Tranquility coins on Sunday so I can see a lot of the translucents in person, hopefully that will help me make up my mind a bit.

I wonder if doing a soft enamel or recessed enamel in Darker colors would show better. There was a coin made for A Pirate Quest and there were alot of little sea creatures under the dark blue enamel ocean. They showed quite well.

Also glitter could look nice in the smaller cutouts.

This is a great time for you. Enjoy your creation. And definatly get a sample or two to see a final result.

Just a side note ... Copper Finish with a translucent black, Might Look Awesome..

Opalsns

Edited by opalsns

I like it! It looks like it will be a really pretty coin when it is finished. :rolleyes:

Have you thought of having maybe certain small elements of the inticate designs stick up at main level so not everything is below the enamel, like maybe the dots or the triangular design in the center of the top wings? There would still be details underneath the enamel, but some could be visible metal.

This coin means a lot to me I feel it relects my fun quirky side. I absolutely love butterflies, but i wanted to put a different spin on the normal butterfly look. I call this my fantasy butterfly. Thank you for any inspiration you can provide. :unsure:

I love this design! I guess it will really look stunning with translucent enamels. With the gold finish I would like to see it with different shades of green, or maybe red and orange...

But the image that first popped up in my mind was shiny silver with the tribal patterns in black nickel... :rolleyes:

Personally, I'd go to the source. That is to say, take a look at some of the color combos found naturally in butterflies and follow their patterns. There are some surprising and stunning examples found with a good old google image search. Once you filter through all the monarchs you'll find dozens of really wild color combos. edit to add: Don't be afraid to run color breaks and patterns right over those 2nd level metals. They'll still show up clearly in almost every color!

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

After many months of off again, on again artistic block getting this design just how i want it I am now stuck on color combinations. I would love to hear your ideas. I will be using all translucent hard enamels and most likely minting this coin in polished gold. Any ideas?

This coin means a lot to me I feel it relects my fun quirky side. I absolutely love butterflies, but i wanted to put a different spin on the normal butterfly look. I call this my fantasy butterfly. Thank you for any inspiration you can provide. :rolleyes:

I see all these color options....

I kinda like it the way it is, why not do a DARK version, anyone can do BIGHT & PRETTY

It would take a real (Creative)Woman to go with a macabre...

And it would stand out from the norm.

congrats beautiful design what's on the back? as u asked for input i'd suggest raising all the metal to make it stronger and more butterfly like. would give you more scope with colours too - look at the tranquility coins for ideas i think they have used nearly every translucent colour and combo possible :rolleyes:

2. look at the swirled enamels on other coins - moab kokopelli for one and it's on black nickel. you can swirl translucent with opaque hard enamels too

congrats beautiful design what's on the back? as u asked for input i'd suggest raising all the metal to make it stronger and more butterfly like. would give you more scope with colours too - look at the tranquility coins for ideas i think they have used nearly every translucent colour and combo possible :rolleyes:

2. look at the swirled enamels on other coins - moab kokopelli for one and it's on black nickel. you can swirl translucent with opaque hard enamels too

Thank you all for your input and positive feedback! I can't show the back and spoil all the surprise now can i? :unsure: I will post updates as they comes. B)

Edited by dark_onyx1982

Ok, so I have come up with 3 legitimate color combinations and 1 very cooky combination I may use for my AE. I am considering a no enamel 2 tone edition, but i am not making any promises. :( It will depend on how the samples from the mint turn out.

Preliminarily my 2009 Fantasy Butterfly will have a Royal Edition, Gypsy Edition, Earth Edition, & a Cooky AE edition.

I am having so much fun with this coin. My husband was cracking up with some of the crazy color combinations i colored in earlier today before i got a bit more realistic about what others may like to see :)

Edited by dark_onyx1982

Ok, so I have come up with 3 legitimate color combinations and 1 very cooky combination I may use for my AE. I am considering a no enamel 2 tone edition, but i am not making any promises. :( It will depend on how the samples from the mint turn out.

Preliminarily my 2009 Fantasy Butterfly will have a Royal Edition, Gypsy Edition, Earth Edition, & a Cooky AE edition.

I am having so much fun with this coin. My husband was cracking up with some of the crazy color combinations i colored in earlier today before i got a bit more realistic about what others may like to see :)

Atta Girl,

Way to enjoy your creation. I can't wait... I want them all!!!!!!!!!!LOL!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOoooooooo HOOOOoooooooooo

Opalsns

I just wanted to add that I like the idea a lot too. I'd like to see the back of the coin, too!

Edited to add: Crystal? I threw away the envelope from the math trade, I'm afraid -- is that your name?

Yes :( My name is Krystal. I will show the back when i get the final artwork back from the mint.

This coin means a lot to me I feel it relects my fun quirky side. I absolutely love butterflies, but i wanted to put a different spin on the normal butterfly look. I call this my fantasy butterfly. Thank you for any inspiration you can provide. :)

Edit to add: These will be trackable on geocaching.com.

That is so cool. Currently we do not have any coins, but when we begin collecting this will be a good one to have!