Garmin 60CSx support 8GB SDHC?

Seoul

Well....

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/g...t/searchsupport

Question: What is the largest sized microSD card that can be used in my X-Series device?

Answer:

The X-Series handheld devices are designed to accept a standard microSD card that will allow the user to add detailed MapSource maps such as City Navigator and/or Topo US to the device.

The largest card the X-series devices will accept is 2 Gigabits. Please note, the X-series devices are not compatible with the double speed "Ultra" or the SDHC high capacity formatted cards.

Once a card is installed into the device, MapSource maps may be downloaded.

Last modified on: 01/16/2009

Well....

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/g...t/searchsupport

Question: What is the largest sized microSD card that can be used in my X-Series device?

Answer:

The X-Series handheld devices are designed to accept a standard microSD card that will allow the user to add detailed MapSource maps such as City Navigator and/or Topo US to the device.

The largest card the X-series devices will accept is 2 Gigabits. Please note, the X-series devices are not compatible with the double speed "Ultra" or the SDHC high capacity formatted cards.

That’s the official Garmin line; however, it is incomplete, and in the case of SDHC, it is inaccurate. Support for SDHC was added quite a few firmware versions ago.

As for the size, cards larger than 2 GB will be recognized by the unit and all of the card can be accessed. However, there is a limit in the unit firmware on the maximum number of maps (2025) and the maximum size of map file that will be recognized (about 2 GB). I suspect that Garmin doesn’t want to say that cards larger than 2 GB can be used, because some people would miss the bit about the 2 GB map limit and complain when they couldn’t use the whole card for maps.

Any free space on the card can be used for recording track logs or for carrying around any files that the owner might want. Since the unit can be used as a (very slow) usb card reader, the files can be anything. They don’t have to be related to GPS.

Some people create different mapsets of the maximum size and store them under different names on the card. They can then change mapsets quickly by connecting the unit to a computer and simply renaming the files. The unit will recognize only one map file at a time: the one with the default file name. (I forget what the name is, but you can see it on your card in Mass Storage mode.)

I personally have a 4 GB SDHC card in my 76CSx, because it didn’t cost much, and I figured the extra space might come in handy for something.

It very often different in whats supported and whats working.

What I do is to have several gmapsupp.img on my 8GB card.

gmapsupp1.img

gmapsupp2.img

gmapsupp.img

I then use my cell phone to rename either 1 or 2 to gmapsupp.img

This way I do overcome 2025 segment 2GB limit.