TN State Natural Areas

O-Mega

Today I got this message:

---------------------------------------------------------

ATTENTION:

Dunbar Cave State Natural Area staff has removed this Geo-Cache (Billy Goat Gruff) per park regulations, which now state that Geocache's are not allowed in TN State Natural Areas. Please remove any other Geocache's from Dunbar Cave State Natural Area as soon as possible. Any further questions should be directed to the Park office (931) 648-5526.

Billy Goat's Gruff

I promptly placed the cache in question on hold but since they are now closed I could not call to get more info (I will in the morning), but I was wondering if anyone else has had their caches likewise removed or put on notice. It would of been nice if someone would of put out that such regulations were forthcoming so we could at least state our case to them.

O-Mega

ATTENTION:

Dunbar Cave State Natural Area staff has removed this Geo-Cache (Billy Goat Gruff) per park regulations, which now state that Geocache's are not allowed in TN State Natural Areas. Please remove any other Geocache's from Dunbar Cave State Natural Area as soon as possible. Any further questions should be directed to the Park office (931) 648-5526.

Billy Goat's Gruff

I promptly placed the cache in question on hold but since they are now closed I could not call to get more info (I will in the morning), but I was wondering if anyone else has had their caches likewise removed or put on notice. It would of been nice if someone would of put out that such regulations were forthcoming so we could at least state our case to them.

O-Mega

My bet would be that the six month permit has been up for quite a while, and each manger can issue a permit even in a Tennessee Natural Area, this policy has been in effect for three years

Max Cacher

ATTENTION:

Billy Goat's Gruff

O-Mega

My bet would be that the six month permit has been up for quite a while, and each manger can issue a permit even in a Tennessee Natural Area, this policy has been in effect for three years

Max Cacher

Oh, I wish it was that simple. I called this morning and It seems that the land manager has decided to not allow any physical caches there at Dunbar Cave State Park (the Earthcache can stay). He has been advised by his people that the nature areas are being overused, he actually told me that too many people were visiting there. While he stated that he had nothing against geocaching per se, he said that it contributed to "pig trails" and it was detrimental to the area.

Although there is an official trail to the cache, it was under a small wooden bridge and though you could reach it from above, it is more natural to go down into the runoff that runs under it. I am not sure I can convince him otherwise, but I will try and get a face to face with him and his people to see if there can be any compromise.