Kids and Caching

BrrrMo

I ask this because most threads about swag address the stuff kids would like. Don't get me wrong, I cache with my 10 year old daughter.

Wish there was someway to post a Poll, or maybe there is. If there is let me know how.

My 8 year old and 3 1/2 year old go along...Though I think the 8 year old is more interested than the 3 1/2 year old :huh:

I don't have little ones, but my caches are designed for those who do. Since I can't imagine a child being entertained for very long by nano after nano with only a log sheet, I try to find property that has open areas for kids/dogs/cats to play without being stealthy. I put larger caches and really try to start the swag off with good toys.

I don't put much in a cache to attract adults, because an adult probably is just after the smiley anyway. Most folks I know don't trade, but I do like the idea of a little one sitting by the creek and plundering through my cache, hopefully in weather that's warm enough they can take off their shoes and go wading for a little while while they're there.

Edited because I can't spell "because".

Edited by ladyleo191

I ask this because most threads about swag address the stuff kids would like. Don't get me wrong, I cache with my 10 year old daughter.

Wish there was someway to post a Poll, or maybe there is. If there is let me know how.

We have kids along every time we go geocaching. Well maybe that's not saying much because we are kids. And do we ever love to geocache. We aren't in it for the swag sure we take some from time to time but we geocache because its fun.

I have been turned onto caching my one of my coworkers. I have since convinced my wife to join me and ever since we have taken our 14 month old on all of our adventures. It will be a treat to go out and explore with him as he grows older. Mark us down for a family of geocachers with a kiddo.

I have to take turns taking my kids they make finding caches a competition between them.

I have to plan different days and trips for them.

We still go out together they prefer to go with out the sibling. just to out do each other.

Edited by troop 1899

We have 2 kids 8 & 4, they both like geocaching very much and dont mind the micros, just as long as its not all micros for the day. If we go on long hikes we dont take the kids and we usually dont trade items, but always have swag with us as well as extra logs, baggies etc if a cache needs some TLC. We also enjoy hiding some tricky micros that may not be kid friendly, but we always make sure that we hide some for the kids too!!

I will attempt our first geocaching trip this weekend with my little ones. I borrowed a friend's TomTom. My hubby is away, and we are in the middle of standardized testing, so the stress level is high at my house. I'll take my 13, 11, 9, 7, and 1 year old with me and see what we can find...

Add us to the list, we cache with our soon-to-be 3 year old and our 9 year old. The almost 3 year old has been caching since she was just over a year old and now 'plays' geocaching at home, lifting pillows and such looking for treasure :huh:.

We've got another on the way and we'll be caching with it from the start, the three year old in a patapum carrier and the newborn in a sling carrier and the 9 year old carrying the swag bag and most likely complaining about it :ph34r:.

We know a NUMBER of cachers who cache with kids, the kids add a lot to it, sometimes are a true help and sometimes are a serious hindrance, lol! Just takes patience and a bit of working around things at times!

Riegerts, if you're going to be city caching a tomtom is GREAT and almost better than a handheld in some situations if your handheld is only a little etrex or something else small like that, but if you're going to be caching in the country be sure that you know how to use the map function, where you go to the map and click the little arrow in the top corner that shows where you are in relation to where you're going, otherwise it's hard to do. We learned how to cache on a TomTom and used it the first year, so it's VERY doable, just takes a bit of learning! Good luck and have fun and get those kids out and moving! Don't forget snacks, water and the camera!

Naomi ;)

I have caching kids and I typically only leave swag for kids. I think it's easy enough for adults to get whatever stuff they want, whenever they want.

We are going to go hunting for our first cache(s) on Sunday. I'll be taking my 8yr old step-daughter with me every chance I get. She's not into sports too much and there aren't kids around us to play with usually, so this is a great way for both of us to get outdoors and bond a little more. I also have a 3mo old son that I'll get out there as soon as he's ready!

I go out with my 4.5 year old son. He HATES Micros and Nano's. because tehr eis no "treasure" in them. he will go through the whole container, or dump it out and go through it. I then let him pick out what he wants to put in. He has a chest at home he puts all his "treasures" in. I do go out with my friend who is a premium member. He and I usually do it for the walk, and for TB's. But he goes with his sone as well. You need to use this hobby as an excuse and reason to spend time with your family AWAY FROM THE TV AND VIDEO GAMES! I know My son and I have seen so many cool things he NEVER would se otherwise. Deer, owls, hawks, rivers, lakes. We take our dog sometimes, he loves that. It is "real" time...not "pastime". Anyway...I feel pretty strong about it. I love my boy. And we will see if his 2 year old sister will like it too...later.

-Adam

Don't have any of my own, but "at any & every opportunity" would be my answer. Not to mention, they can be downright handy as 'cache monkeys'!! :huh:

Besides all the cliche'd "togetherness & outdoors" responses, they're a joy to watch, especially when they're in 'Discovery' mode! Hadn't thought about it before, but maybe that's why nearly all the swag I've bought lately is for da kiddys. (That, & they're so-o-o-o easier to please than 'adults'!)

~*

Edited by Star*Hopper

My wife an I have a nanocacher along with us often. He just kind of rides in his pouch.

We have taken kids ages 7-12 with us on various occasions and love to do so. There's been one or two times when the kids find it, even a harder cache, before we do. The swag hasn't played into too much except with one.

The younger set seem to really enjoy it if they find it, so I will often find it and be near it to allow them the "ah-ha!" moment.

It reminds me of a time long ago during Moral Mushroom hunting and I didn't want to be along, so my mom sat me by a tree and said "stay there." As I pouted I saw a mushroom. And another and another and another. And then I called everyone over.

Just gotta keep in on it.

I started out by taking all the kids along. I burned the kids out on park & grabs and the fascination quickly wore off and boredom set in, well not to mention that one bad experience involving a swamp & thorns (for the girls).

I still take my son (oldest) out with me but the girls are getting older and could care less, the cache had better be in a really cool location or have a special draw - makes the adventure a bit easier.

Kids now 13, 11 and 9

Our "almost" 7 yrs old comes along with us all the time. In the past we would go get micro hides while our son was in school, and he would cry because we went geocaching without him! He use to hate micro's because of the "no swag", but he now enjoys them because of the trickiness of the hides. Our son found a 3 1/2 star dif. hide while we were overanalysing the hide. So you can say that Mom & Dad were not smarter that a 1st grader!

This is a great adventure for kids! I have my Cub Scout Den (Tigers) who found out that we're geocachers, and they are antsy to go find treasure!!! So I need to plant some temp. hides for them SOON! :rolleyes::unsure:

I take my 3 yr old daughter 99% of the times I go. Here is what I get out of geocaching... The challange of finding a small item placed some where by someone and I have to think move and act to find it. Here is what she getts out of geocaching. Exercise exposier to wildlife and what kid doesnt love the small toys. This also teaches her about sharing. All around it is a great family hobby. We also try to place items that other kids would enjoy.

Thanks,

Dave and Becca

Geocaching3-6-09.jpg

I take my 2 1/2 year old often. She has been caching with me for over two years. She is quite the little trail hiker. I do it more to bond with her,, and get her out and about from a young age. We talk about birds and trees, some times bugs and what ever other wild life we come across.

I take my 11 year old nephew along to about 10% of the caches I seek. He doesn't really care much about the swag, but is always interested in the ones where people leave actual money, even if it is just a quarter, hehe. Usually, he's more interested in finding the cache before his aunt, lol.

He doesn't get overly excited about going geocaching itself, but since he spends a few days out of the week at my house, it gives us a chance to get out of the house and do something different together. I'm a paranormal investigator, and that is a hobby he's DEFINITELY interested in, so we try to hit caches that are near local haunted hot spots or cemeteries.

I've recently found out that I'm pregnant (7 weeks right now) and the doctor has approved of light caching, hehe. This baby will most likely be following in mommy's footsteps and join her cousin and I on our outings.

Yea - I take the kids with me quite often. Got x3 geokids - 9yrs, 7yrs and 2yrs. The two year old sits in a baby back pack on my back. Did a d4 t4.5 with all three of them and my wife last weekend. Loved it. You've got to plan ahead even more when you have kids but it's such a fantastic activity for the family.

You asked if there was a way one could conduct a poll - there are free polls that are really easy to set up in minutes - try : http://www.polldaddy.com/

post it back to this forum thread to get some votes!

Just today I took my 5 and 7 year old daughters on their first Geo Cache. They call it "Treasure Hunting", but they will get the terminology soon. They were excited about it all day.

They were able to solve the riddle clue with a little prompting, and were not even disappointed that instead of treasure, it was a micro cache that they signed their names to it. Now they want to go do one every day. Next one will have to wait until the Garmin Oregon I just ordered arrives. They are going through their trinkets for "swags" right now.

This is an excellent Daddy-Daughter activity that engages their brains and muscles and gets them outside and away from the TV and computer. I cant think of a better activity than to explore and learn Geocaching together.

Fine, I'll be the crotchety one. I don't have kids. In fact, I tend to find kids annoying (though with a few exceptions).

So, I go caching so I can get away from other people's kids. :anibad:

We're with you. We just cant stand the thought of having children to spoil our midnight geocaching ftf runs.

Don't get me wrong we need the kids to keep the sport alive, but I'll let others 'bear' that responsibility.

I got more than 5 and less than 8 kids. :anibad:

I take kids whenever possible. I have stated before that you can do things with kids that otherwise look suspicious. Kids are the best Geotools around. You can toss them over a fence or send them through thick undergrowth. They can stand on your shoulders and get that extra 3-4 feet you need. They make great subjects for video when hunting a cache.

Take them kids along. They turn a good caching run into a great caching run.

Well there is and here it is:

<script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8" language="javascript" src="http://static.polldaddy.com/p/1436563.js"></script><noscript> <a href ="http://answers.polldaddy.com/poll/1436563/" >Do you take children GeoGaching with you? Plus or Minus comments welcome.</a> <br/> <span style="font-size:9px;"> (<a href ="http://www.polldaddy.com"> surveys</a>)</span></noscript>

Edited by BrrrMo

Kids love geocaching! :( I'm 13 and I am a member of a 4-H GPS club and go caching at least every month. Me and my little sisters have been geocaching with our dad since I was 10. The biggest frustration is that the adult is the one holding the GPS most of the time. Geocaching is a great thing to do with kids, and micros give you the same thrill of the hunt as others when they're done right.

Got 2 boys- as long as there aren't too many micros they love it. We just started with a bunch of TB's to release when we go to Mexico (our own and ones we liberated from other caches) so they are really excited about that! FYI- my kids also like georging- www.wheresgeorge.com

Kids love geocaching! :) I'm 13 and I am a member of a 4-H GPS club and go caching at least every month. Me and my little sisters have been geocaching with our dad since I was 10. The biggest frustration is that the adult is the one holding the GPS most of the time. Geocaching is a great thing to do with kids, and micros give you the same thrill of the hunt as others when they're done right.

We got lucky and found a 2nd gps on the cheap. Now the kids have one to use and the grownups still feel like they are in control. :( My 7 and 9 yr old LOVE watching the coords while we are en route, and they learn math/practical application stuff as well!

I have four kids (12,10,9,3) and usually we have extra kids with us too on our big cache runs.

We refer to the 3 year old as the "cache retrieval tool". Seriously, you can get little kids to crawl anywhere and stick their hands into anything!

The 9 year old is responsible for anything overhead. He is the cache monkey for our group as well as the best eyes - if we can't find a cache he is the goto guy!

The 11 year old rarely finds the cache, but he's always a cheerful addition to the group and we put him in charge of the camera. You know how when you try to show a cat something by pointing and you have to bring your finger directly to the object? Yeah, that's my 11 year old with geocaches.

The 12 year old usually volunteers to stay and "watch the car", but he's a good source to call from the woods when we need info from the cache page that I forgot to bring out.

Kids are awesome tools, they just require lots of maintenance to keep them working properly.

I have 3 kids (8,6,4) and they love it! They do get competitive when it comes to actually making the find, and they love digging through all the SWAG! It is an awesome hobby that the whole family can do, and it gets us all outside moving around and falling in love with nature and light poles! :laughing:

I also like the opportunity it gives my older ones to go online and log their find. It really helps them learn to express themselves through writing...seriously!

I have a 2 year old and a 6 year old. The 2 year old is always with me. We frequently cache during the day when the 6 year old is in school. They both love it!! In fact, no matter what we are doing during the day, if my daughter (2) hears the word cache or geocache, she runs to the GPS and hollers at us to "go caching!" The 6 year old is happiest when we aren't just finding micros and nanos, but he's happy with all of it! As long as it's a place he can get out and search, he's good with it!!

What? Who takes adults caching with them?

Kids love geocaching! :rolleyes: I'm 13 and I am a member of a 4-H GPS club and go caching at least every month. Me and my little sisters have been geocaching with our dad since I was 10. The biggest frustration is that the adult is the one holding the GPS most of the time. Geocaching is a great thing to do with kids, and micros give you the same thrill of the hunt as others when they're done right.

It's great to see another cacher like myself out there who reads theese things :ph34r:

I'm 14, and a runner, so alot of the time i will go searching for caches around my home by myself or with my little sister. That way I don't have the "adult holding the GPS all the time" problem, I'm the only one who really knows how to work it. :unsure: I agree- for myself, mircos are just as appealling as other caches if you approach it right.

- ClanBlakley # 3