Published caches too close

My understanding of the cache saturation guidelines is that beyond traditional caches, it applies to physical stages of a multicache and puzzle caches. I am also to understand that reviewers are able to see those waypoints, even if not publicly displayed, to help avoid caches being too close together.

I have two puzzle caches with final locations in a small park in a neighborhood. With a lake in the middle, I placed them such that they were more than .1 miles apart, but still within the park.

So how do I handle it when a reviewer published a cache that is right about 200 feet from the final, physical cache for one of my those puzzle caches? I personally contacted the reviewer to ask for help with this but never got a response. That was a little under a week ago.

Then just a little while ago, I got home to find another cache published. This time, it is about 250-300 feet from the second puzzle cache I placed in that park. So I now have two traditional caches, both by the same person, that are now under 300 feet from my own caches.

Doesn't this go against the guidelines and shouldn't the reviewer be helping to prevent this before being published? How do I approach this, especially if the reviewer has already ignored me once on it?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I am going to key in on one word in your post: "lake".

Could it be that exceptions were granted due to the fact you would have to walk across some portion of the lake to go directly between your final and the new caches??

A good question, and I had thought of that. If yes, I would be okay, as it actually increases the distance. But the answer is no, you do not need to go across or around the lake to reach my caches from the new ones. In fact, both new caches are on the same side of the lake as the respective caches of mine they are too close to. Now need to go around the lake. You can just walk a little ways down the trail and arrive at mine from each of the new caches.

Guidelines are, of course, guidelines. Reviewers can make of them what they will, usually with good reason. Pointing it out the reviewer is all you can do. If the reviewer thinks that, in this case, 350 feet is all right, then there is no reason to make a federal case of it. The fianl decision is the reviewer's, not yours.

Guidelines are, of course, guidelines. Reviewers can make of them what they will, usually with good reason. Pointing it out the reviewer is all you can do. If the reviewer thinks that, in this case, 350 feet is all right, then there is no reason to make a federal case of it. The fianl decision is the reviewer's, not yours.

If there is a good case, then I am willing to accept that. And guidelines are just that...guidelines. But what's the point of the guidelines, especially ones designed to help prevent oversaturation, if somebody isn't there to help say "Hey, you're a bit too close to this other cache. Move your cache about 200 feet in either X or X direction and you'll be good to go."

Even more so when the new caches are bragging a bit about how they helped bring caching to a virgin park.

I figure I'll leave it up to the reviewer, but if this is how they are going to operate, allowing anyone to place caches without regard to how close they are to nearby caches, then it just helps set a precedent for others to follow.

I will ask another question. Did you list your final co-ordinates on your cache page but with the co-ordinates hidden? Or in some other way communicated the location of the finals to the reviewer? If the reviewer does not know where your final is, how do you expect them to protect it? Could be that the traditional placers were playing battleships with the reviewer to find your final. He ended the game by publishing their caches.

Jim

I am the reviewer at fault here and archived the two caches involved, with a short note of apology. Here is a public apology as well. Glen

A thanks to RattlingCrew. I had not meant to cause problems publicly, only to ask for help in whether this was an issue or not.

To the above questions, yes I had final coordinates posted on both.

A distance of 200-300 feet is still a pretty good buffer, but the point about following the guidelines is reasonable.

There is a traditional cache that was published about 30 feet from one of my puzzle multi-caches and I was quite disturbed by that. Turns out I had entered to coordinates incorrectly on the cache page, so it was my fault. I slapped myself in the face and felt much better.