Garmin 24K Topo Multi-State DVD?

Has anyone purchased a Garmin's 24K Topo Multi-State DVD, same as the microSD card, just more states and on a DVD?

In the last thread on this subject one forum member stated an unequivocally reply from Garmin that the DVD was NOT locked to a single GPSr. Can anyone verify that the DVD is indeed unlocked?

Any comments on the maps?

Has anyone purchased a Garmin's 24K Topo Multi-State DVD, same as the microSD card, just more states and on a DVD?

In the last thread on this subject one forum member stated an unequivocally reply from Garmin that the DVD was NOT locked to a single GPSr. Can anyone verify that the DVD is indeed unlocked?

Any comments on the maps?

That would be me. That's what the guy on the phone told me, ymmv. Best I have been able to find out is they won't ship until 3/15. Once they ship I'll probably be a guinea pig and find out.

Jim

Jim

That would be me. That's what the guy on the phone told me, ymmv. Best I have been able to find out is they won't ship until 3/15. Once they ship I'll probably be a guinea pig and find out.
Key piece of info in your reply. That would explain why I not been able to find the DVD at Amazon.

Many thanks. :huh:

Does this mean that the topo map is navigable on roads like the CN maps?
More . . . roads and trails, just like the SD card version. Although early word is Garmin's 24K Topos are light on trails.

The trails in national parks are well represented as I'm sure they're taken from the National Parks DVD. As for everywhere else, usually not so good. The other day while geocaching it occurred to me all of us geocachers could be collecting trail data on our hikes for uploading to a shared database.

I might purchase it once I learn more about it, see some screenshots, etc. I wonder how it will compare in road navigation to CNNA2008. I have that right now and it's great. It seems to know roads wherever I go, not just in the city.

I have the 24K Topo mircoSD and the roads are the same as CN2009. You'll enjoy the upgrade.

I might purchase it once I learn more about it, see some screenshots, etc. I wonder how it will compare in road navigation to CNNA2008. I have that right now and it's great. It seems to know roads wherever I go, not just in the city.

I have the 24K Topo mircoSD and the roads are the same as CN2009. You'll enjoy the upgrade.

I'm thinking, if I were to get the 24k Topos, with their road navigation, the only difference between them and CNNA would be the POIs that CNNA has. Is that how you interpret it? But then I just remembered that CNNA has the ability to look up addresses and create an autoroute to that address from present location, can 24k Topo do that? Does it exclude cities?

I'm thinking, if I were to get the 24k Topos, with their road navigation, the only difference between them and CNNA would be the POIs that CNNA has. Is that how you interpret it? But then I just remembered that CNNA has the ability to look up addresses and create an autoroute to that address from present location, can 24k Topo do that? Does it exclude cities?

Well the other big thing is CNNA covers US and Canada(?), while the topos will only cover a few states.

Jim

Yes it has POIs and you can look up addresses, and it covers the cities too. It autoroutes just like CN does with the added benefit of autorouting on trails too if you happen to have the trail showing on the map. What I really like about the mircoSD card is that the topo and roads are merged together so you don't have to hide or show maps to see one or the other. I also like that I can move the microSD card to any Garmin mapping unit that supports microSD cards. The card isn't locked to the unit, but a copied card will not work and that's how Garmin protects it from unauthorized duplication. The only real drawback of the microSD card is being limited to two states. For 99.999% of the time those two states are all I need. BTW, I just got an Oregon 300 which can display the shaded relief and 3D views of the microSD card that my 60CSx could not. The maps don't look as cartoonish either but in return you lose daylight visibility. I'm still comparing the two GPS models, but so far I'm really impressed with the mapping resolution when the microSD card is in the Oregon. If the Oregon series had better daylight visibility and the Topo 24K/CN9 had more extensive trail listings, then I think Garmin would clearly hold on to their lead in both hardward and software.

Yes it has POIs and you can look up addresses, and it covers the cities too. It autoroutes just like CN does with the added benefit of autorouting on trails too if you happen to have the trail showing on the map. What I really like about the mircoSD card is that the topo and roads are merged together so you don't have to hide or show maps to see one or the other. I also like that I can move the microSD card to any Garmin mapping unit that supports microSD cards. The card isn't locked to the unit, but a copied card will not work and that's how Garmin protects it from unauthorized duplication. The only real drawback of the microSD card is being limited to two states. For 99.999% of the time those two states are all I need. BTW, I just got an Oregon 300 which can display the shaded relief and 3D views of the microSD card that my 60CSx could not. The maps don't look as cartoonish either but in return you lose daylight visibility. I'm still comparing the two GPS models, but so far I'm really impressed with the mapping resolution when the microSD card is in the Oregon. If the Oregon series had better daylight visibility and the Topo 24K/CN9 had more extensive trail listings, then I think Garmin would clearly hold on to their lead in both hardward and software.

Well then, I look forward to it, and I'll consider it in 2010 - as a replacement for upgrading CNNA 2008.

Oh, one last question (you've been very helpful by the way) how many trails does it know, most of them, or is it kind of weak in areas? Like, I'm thinking only national park trails, or only state park trails, or something like that. In my area there is no National Parks, but there is plenty of Mendocino National Forest, and also Bureau of Land Management area, as well as large county parks.

Oh, one last question (you've been very helpful by the way) how many trails does it know, most of them, or is it kind of weak in areas? Like, I'm thinking only national park trails, or only state park trails, or something like that. In my area there is no National Parks, but there is plenty of Mendocino National Forest, and also Bureau of Land Management area, as well as large county parks.
It's weak on trails for all areas except national parks. Some places show a trail icon instead of having a trail, but usually you don't even see that. It's got good topo data and street data, just not much in the way of trails.
It's weak on trails for all areas except national parks. Some places show a trail icon instead of having a trail, but usually you don't even see that. It's got good topo data and street data, just not much in the way of trails.

Hmm. Ok, thanks.

Autorouting on trails would be great. Anyway to download onto a cheap netbook to use on the road? The sd card will be in the gps, since you cant copy it there's probably no way see location on the larger 10" netbook screen. or could you put the sd card in the netbook and attach the gps to show position on the netbook?

Carl

Edited by redzuk
Autorouting on trails would be great.
Why? Given a speed of 2-3 MPH, how would autorouting help? The only feature of trail autorouting I've heard of is providing linear distance. In Colorado, elevation gain is much more significant than distance to estimate time or effort. Besides, trails tend to have few intersections, unlike roads.

Anyway to download onto a cheap netbook to use on the road? The sd card will be in the gps, since you cant copy it there's probably no way see location on the larger 10" netbook screen. or could you put the sd card in the netbook and attach the gps to show position on the netbook?
The whole point of the DVD is to view the maps in Mapsource on a PC. I assume one could hook either a handheld GPS or external antenna and see position as you travel. I've not tried.

Trails, I was referring to four wheel drive and forest roads. Wouldnt pack the netbook when on foot or biking. I could draw in the route, but if the only option is straight lines connecting waypionts that doesnt help much. Would like to put some mnt bike trails on the map also.

Carl

Got a copy of 24K SW (CO, AZ, UT, NM) and have been playing with it, some surprises:

- The installer gives no choice as to the install folder. Defaults to All Users/Application Data/....

- The maps are installed/visible/usable in BOTH Mapsource and BaseCamp

- BaseCamp does NOT install maps to your GPS, you must use MapInstall

- Still trying to figure out BaseCamp's 4-panel interface.

- The map segments are 15' size

- I loaded just the Colo segments, created a ~900MB gmapsupp.img file.

A Question:

How do you switch maps in a Colo 300? I know how on the eTrex and Nuvi, not Colo.

Done from the map screen, so now I know.

Currently loading, w/ Mapsource, both the SW and Above the Timber Colo segments, I expect it to take over an hour w/ my Atom 330. Its right at 1GB.

Turns out the entire state of Colo with both the SW and Above the Timber Colo segments is 956MB, my formatted 1GB card is 952MB, doesn't fit. It took just shy of 2-hours to build the map set.

Edited by MtnHermit