Fish Creek Provincial Park - Calgary

GeoMeerkats

Concerns have been expressed recently about the policy regarding geocaching in Fish Creek Provincial Park. Several posts have stated that Park Wardens are removing geocaches and several geocachers have disabled or archived their hides.

I recently posted a query on the Alberta government website and received the following reply:

Thank you for contacting Alberta Tourism, Parks and Recreation.

Sandra Myers, a senior program/policy planner for Alberta Parks is the lead on a working group established to discuss issues and concerns related to geocaching in Alberta’s parks and protected areas. The end result will be development of a program statement that outlines Alberta Parks' position on geocaching. We are moving forward with our discussions and would be very interested in obtaining your input. Please set up a time to speak with Sandra on the phone. She can be reached at 780- 427-1742; or, if Sandra isn't available, you may also contact Maria Lynn, who is working with her on the policy - Maria can be reached at 780- 427-3120.

Thank you for contacting us - we look forward to speaking with you.

Alberta Tourism, Parks and Recreation

I spoke to Maria Lynn this afternoon and she repeated the statement that the Parks Department is currently developing a policy regarding the placement of geocaches in provincial parks. We discussed environmental concerns, such as people going off designated trails, trampling vegetation, causing erosion and so forth. However, Ms Lynn gave geocachers credit for generally being environmentally responsible and sponsoring events such as Cache In Trash Out. It is not their intent to interfere with recreational activities or people's enjoyment of provincial parks. Her group has been in contact with people from geocaching.com and local geocaching groups for input into the policy and they hope to have a position published within the next month or so. The Parks Department intends to set up a user name and post a page on geocaching.com where the policy will be available.

Ms Lynn was not aware of any policy on the part of Fish Creek management to remove geocaches from within the park boundaries, but she said the park staff may be acting on their own initiative without any guidance from Alberta Tourism, Parks and Recreation. She said she would check into that and get back to me with an answer.

In the meantime, there is an opportunity for geocachers to influence government policy. Please contact the working group at the numbers listed above to express your concerns. Sandra Myers will be out of the office until March 10, but Ms Lynn is available.

GW

Hi GW - glad to have a number to call. All my e-mails to the fellow I was told was drafting this policy have gone unanswered. I'll call tomorrow or Weds, depending on schedule. Thanks for joining the effort to preserve the ability to geocache in Alberta's Provincial Parks.