Add another field to the online form?

Thinking out loud - here's an idea: Add another field to the online form that asks...

Why did you place this cache?

The answer would be displayed on the activated page for everyone to see.

Could it possibly be a useful tool to help geocachers find caches where the owner put some thought into the placement?

"I placed this cache because there wasn't already one here."

"I placed this cache to increase the density of hides in the area."

"I placed this cache because it's on my way home from work and I can check on it often."

"I placed this cache because somebody gave me a pallet full of ammo cans and I need room in my garage to park my car."

"I placed this cache because there wasn't already one here."

"I placed this cache to increase the density of hides in the area."

"I placed this cache because it's on my way home from work and I can check on it often."

"I placed this cache because somebody gave me a pallet full of ammo cans and I need room in my garage to park my car."

Exactly. These reasons would help us decide if we want to run out and find a cache placed "because there wasn't already one here" or leave it for another day when you just want to get out and find any cache or put it on the ignore list.

I remember a thread where someone posted in a cache log "Why did you bring me here?" and the cache owner posted a response "To find a cache. Why did you come here?"

Doesn't seem to me one needs a reason for placing a cache other than "so that someone could find it". I do understand that some people want to combine geocaching with site seeing, visiting places with historic, cultural, or natural significance. Combining geocaching with these other activities would certainly make a more enjoyable experience for many people. Even those who cache simply because they enjoy finding caches tend to leave longer logs if there was something besides the cache itself they can write about. We already have the scenic-yes.gif attribute. Perhaps adding historic or cultural icons or simply a Point of Interest icon to allow cache owners to indicate their cache is at or near some place the cacher may want to visit while looking for a cache is a good idea. Then those who prefer these kinds of locations can filter for this icon. I'd also suggest that premium members could create a "Wow locations" bookmark list to bookmark caches that are hidden in places that would also make good Waymarks.

So on all the existing caches it would read: "No reason Chosen" ????

Perhaps existing caches would have a canned message that says something about -not applicable, cache placed before this feature was implemented-

Of course, the opportunity to go back through old active caches and place something in the note field could be an option.

I remember a thread where someone posted in a cache log "Why did you bring me here?" and the cache owner posted a response "To find a cache. Why did you come here?"

Doesn't seem to me one needs a reason for placing a cache other than "so that someone could find it".

That's my point. If I saw "so that someone could find it", I'd put it on the backburner. If I'm in the area for a short visit I'd probably leave this one unless it's on the way to another cache where the owner filled in the "Why" box with something more interesting like "I placed this cache because my wife and I think it's a peaceful area for a quiet walk in the woods with the dogs".

I do understand that some people want to combine geocaching with site seeing, visiting places with historic, cultural, or natural significance. Combining geocaching with these other activities would certainly make a more enjoyable experience for many people....We already have the scenic-yes.gif attribute. Perhaps adding historic or cultural icons or simply a Point of Interest icon to allow cache owners to indicate their cache is at or near some place the cacher may want to visit while looking for a cache is a good idea. Then those who prefer these kinds of locations can filter for this icon.

Isn't filtering by attribute only a premium member feature? The above example of a nice walk in the woods with the dogs, would not justify a scenic attribute but might still show that the owner had a thoughtful reason for placing the cache.

Doesn't seem to me one needs a reason for placing a cache other than "so that someone could find it".

That's my point. If I saw "so that someone could find it", I'd put it on the backburner. If I'm in the area for a short visit I'd probably leave this one unless it's on the way to another cache where the owner filled in the "Why" box with something more interesting like "I placed this cache because my wife and I think it's a peaceful area for a quiet walk in the woods with the dogs".

I do understand that some people want to combine geocaching with site seeing, visiting places with historic, cultural, or natural significance. Combining geocaching with these other activities would certainly make a more enjoyable experience for many people....We already have the scenic-yes.gif attribute. Perhaps adding historic or cultural icons or simply a Point of Interest icon to allow cache owners to indicate their cache is at or near some place the cacher may want to visit while looking for a cache is a good idea. Then those who prefer these kinds of locations can filter for this icon.

Isn't filtering by attribute only a premium member feature? The above example of a nice walk in the woods with the dogs, would not justify a scenic attribute but might still show that the owner had a thoughtful reason for placing the cache.

There are also dogs-yes.gif and hiking-yes.gif attributes, so I suppose if you are looking for a nice walk in the woods with the dogs you could look for those attributes. Telling the hider you have to have a reason is not going to help you when you get people like me who hide the cache primarily for other people to find it. I'll put down that there is a hike and if dogs are allowed but that isn't the reason I placed the cache. If my reason was to bring someone to an "interesting" place I think I would list this as a Waymark. Why put in the effort of preparing a cache and hiding it if I was primarily interested in taking you to see the cityscape?

Why did you place this cache?

The answer would be displayed on the activated page for everyone to see.

Could it possibly be a useful tool to help geocachers find caches where the owner put some thought into the placement?

"Because I like seeing people go off the deep-end when I place a micro/nano cache"

Sounds like a solution in desperate search of a problem. I'll pass.

On this we agree.

We do have a local (North Alabama) cacher that already adds this to the description of his hides. Example:

Why did I place this cache here? I wanted to draw attention to this "secret" area.

Why did I place this cache here? I wanted to try a letterbox cache in this beautiful state park.

I kind of like seeing these in his hides but I don't think I'd like the results if it was a required field. I think there are better problems to throw the goon squad at.

OK. So far a stinker of an idea. With all the lame cache discussions on the boards (seems like 40% of the topics in the General Geocaching Discussions board are about lame caches) it just got me thinking about how we could encourage people to think about the hides they place.

If there were something on the form that made people stop and reflect for a minute, maybe it might contribute to more thoughtful cache placements. Not that "just because I wanted to hide a cache" geocaches don't have their place, they do. But based on the discussion boards and my own experience of being overwhelmed by the number of boxes in an area, I thought this might be a useful form field to help make finding the best caches that suit our caching personalities easier.

Doesn't seem to me one needs a reason for placing a cache other than "so that someone could find it". I do understand that some people want to combine geocaching with site seeing, visiting places with historic, cultural, or natural significance. Combining geocaching with these other activities would certainly make a more enjoyable experience for many people. Even those who cache simply because they enjoy finding caches tend to leave longer logs if there was something besides the cache itself they can write about. We already have the scenic-yes.gif attribute. Perhaps adding historic or cultural icons or simply a Point of Interest icon to allow cache owners to indicate their cache is at or near some place the cacher may want to visit while looking for a cache is a good idea. Then those who prefer these kinds of locations can filter for this icon. I'd also suggest that premium members could create a "Wow locations" bookmark list to bookmark caches that are hidden in places that would also make good Waymarks.

Combine GeoCaching with Waymarking. Works for me.

Edited by BrrrMo

I know some cachers who could write a cache page for a guardrail micro and make it sound like a great adventure. I'm sure those same hiders could "embellish" this new field as well.

For others, it would probably be a place to put some newly created acronyms.

RCP - Really Cool Place

ANMC - Area Needs More Caches

CTH - Close To Home

BIWT - Because I Wanted To

WN - Why Not?

Forgot one...

IWAIAOHRDFAAMTPLPOSJCB - It was as if an occult hand had reached... etc.

Edited by Team Black-Cat

given the "opportunity" to have to explain my cache ides, i would dutifully answer "because i wanted you to see this here really spiffy guardrail", regardless of the cache placement.

beautiful scenic walk?

historic place?

weird rock formation?

cool view?

they're alllll gonna get the guardrail explanation.

with my cache placements, i give you exactly how much information as i want you to have before you get there, and not a word more or less. if you do not wish to be open to surprise, you will miss out on my caches.

i like to keep people guessing. it's the reverse side of wanting to live in a world where there are surprises. life is more interesting off-balance, off-camber, off-label and just plain weird. if i have to put up with useless boring caches sometimes, that's the price of admission.

Two year ago I respectfully asked for a "Park and Grab" attribute. Apparently TPTB doesn't really care what loyal customers think when it comes to easier solutions to weed out geotrache. I could care less about the existance of garbage caches, and those that enjoy them. All i've ever asked for is a better way to avoid them, other than excluding all "1/1s" and all micros.

Edited by Kit Fox
with my cache placements, i give you exactly how much information as i want you to have before you get there, and not a word more or less. if you do not wish to be open to surprise, you will miss out on my caches.

i like to keep people guessing. it's the reverse side of wanting to live in a world where there are surprises. life is more interesting off-balance, off-camber, off-label and just plain weird. if i have to put up with useless boring caches sometimes, that's the price of admission.

I really like (good) surprises! :huh:

I don`t see how this feature would add any information that isn`t already in the cache description. The reasoning behind most cache placements can be inferred from reading the cache page. If they go on and on about the scenery or historical significance of the site, you can assume that they placed the cache there to show you the place. If the entire extent of the description is "micro in a walmart parking lot," then you can assume there wasn`t a significant reason behind that one and put it on your ignore list.

If I have a reason, I'll usually tell you in the description. If I don't, assume that it's just because I wanted to hide something for you to find. That's what this game is about, right?

Sorry. You don't usually come across as a complainer but it sounds like you want me to do your work for you in this case. If you want to download and go, you take your chances. If you want to be selective, read the page.

I hide all of 'em because I want something for you to find using your little high-tech gizmo, anything else is gravy. Sometimes I add gravy, sometimes you get plain bacon & eggs with dry toast (or biscuits, if you're lucky).

Two year ago I respectfully asked for a "Park and Grab" attribute. Apparently TPTB doesn't really care what loyal customers think when it comes to easier solutions to weed out geotrache. I could care less about the existance of garbage caches, and those that enjoy them. All i've ever asked for is a better way to avoid them, other than excluding all "1/1s" and all micros.

But aren't most 1/1's park & grabs anyway? No, seriously. :huh: (And what makes something a park & grab to begin with? This cache and this cache are both less than a 100-foot walk from parking, if you have the right vehicle; does that make them park & grabs?)

Anyway, back to the original topic: I agree with Flask; I will divulge as much about my cache hides as I choose to tell. If I want you to know why I hid a cache, I'll tell you why in the cache page anyway, and I (as I suspect most cachers) don't need a question to prompt me to tell you. Sometimes it'll take a full page's worth of text. Sometimes I might not even say anything at all.

... If there were something on the form that made people stop and reflect for a minute, maybe it might contribute to more thoughtful cache placements. ...
In my opinion, this line of thought falls apart when you realize that when people are filling out the form, the cache has already been placed. For many (most?) people, the form is just a bit of necessary paperwork. It's not a cache planning tool.

But aren't most 1/1's park & grabs anyway? No, seriously. :huh:

By definition, you appear to be correct. The term 'park & grab' suggests a very easy cache that requires very little walking, a 1/1. Edited by sbell111

Sorry. You don't usually come across as a complainer but it sounds like you want me to do your work for you in this case. If you want to download and go, you take your chances. If you want to be selective, read the page.

Thanks. The last couple of years I've really been feeling overwhelmed by the number of caches. I've been caching since 2001 but I don't do a lot of geocaching (about 100 finds or less per year) so the caches that I have to search through are growing exponentially. If I want to spend the afternoon geocaching within, for example, 10 miles of City Hall in a large city a 40 minute drive from where I live, I'd have to spend hours reading through 329 cache descriptions and their logs. My method currently is, I download caches in destination area to my GPS and PDA and head out. I get to ground zero and check the GPS for nearby caches, then I read the description off of my PDA. If the cache doesn't suit my mood I check for the next nearest. It's been my experience that I can waste a lot of time and driving with this method. I don't want to filter out micros and 1/1 because I've found some really nice micro hides and 1/1 hides. In fact I keep a bookmark lists of the micros I've enjoyed finding.

I'd ideally like to see a "Cream of the Crop"/"Gold Star" rating system (or any good rating system) so I can spend more time enjoying choice caches. I'm not interested in finding every cache that's been placed. Just not my thing. I don't mind the "just because I wanted to hide a cache" local geocaches. They're good when I need a cache fix and can't drive out of town to cache. But when I drive for miles and have a limited amount of time to cache, I want to spend as much quality time as possible.

How do other people maximize quality time? Do most of you spend hours researching before heading out to your destination? Do most of you try to get every cache that's out there?

Edited by J.A.R.S.
... My method currently is, I download caches in destination area to my GPS and PDA and head out. I get to ground zero and check the GPS for nearby caches, then I read the description off of my PDA. If the cache doesn't suit my mood I check for the next nearest. It's been my experience that I can waste a lot of time and driving with this method. ...
Interesting. That's the very method that I use to avoid wasting time and excessive driving. The only difference is that I don't drive to the area until I have identified the first interesting cache. Edited by sbell111
... My method currently is, I download caches in destination area to my GPS and PDA and head out. I get to ground zero and check the GPS for nearby caches, then I read the description off of my PDA. If the cache doesn't suit my mood I check for the next nearest. It's been my experience that I can waste a lot of time and driving with this method. ...
Interesting. That's the very method that I use to avoid wasting time and excessive driving. The only difference is that I don't drive to the area until I have identified the first interesting cache.

And you base "interesting" on what criteria?

Interesting. That's the very method that I use to avoid wasting time and excessive driving. The only difference is that I don't drive to the area until I have identified the first interesting cache.

And you base "interesting" on what criteria?

Well, I used the word 'interesting' twice in my post, so let me explain each one. The first one conveyed the fact that the while JARS and I both use the same method, one of us feels that the method wastes time while the other feels that it saves time. The second use of 'interesting' speaks to caches that I find to be engaging or otherwise fun to find. This tends to be a moving target based on my whims at that moment in time.