100% FAIL

JJ522

newb here. i just recieved my garmin etrex legend c yesterday and after an unnecessary ammount of hours, i have no idea how to enter in coordinates... what?

what do i need to do?

Have no fear. This is not obvious like you might think. When I got my GPS I read the manual cover to cover, but had no clue how to enter a waypoint. Mark my location yes, but enter a waypoint somewhere else? I was figured out how to download waypoints from the computer long before realizing that how you enter waypoints was to mark your location and THEN edit that to what I needed. Why didn't they just say so in the manual? Sheesh.

newb here. i just recieved my garmin etrex legend c yesterday and after an unnecessary ammount of hours, i have no idea how to enter in coordinates... what?

what do i need to do?

Have no fear. This is not obvious like you might think. When I got my GPS I read the manual cover to cover, but had no clue how to enter a waypoint. Mark my location yes, but enter a waypoint somewhere else? I was figured out how to download waypoints from the computer long before realizing that how you enter waypoints was to mark your location and THEN edit that to what I needed. Why didn't they just say so in the manual? Sheesh.

I would agree if it was not pointed out on page 7 of the users manual.

Jim

what do i need to do?

Jim

You read all the way to page 7? Show-off :huh:

First of all, thanks HeadHardHat for always helping us newbs out.

I just received my Etrex Legend HCx last night and I've been reading through the manual today. I noticed there is a "proximity alarm" that you can set. Is this at all useful? I'm thinking it sounds cool, but in reality, I imagine your gps is going to tell you how close you are to GZ (assuming the coords are accurate, which I know isn't usually the case)

what do i need to do?

Jim

GPS V manual?

First of all, thanks HeadHardHat for always helping us newbs out.

I just received my Etrex Legend HCx last night and I've been reading through the manual today. I noticed there is a "proximity alarm" that you can set. Is this at all useful? I'm thinking it sounds cool, but in reality, I imagine your gps is going to tell you how close you are to GZ (assuming the coords are accurate, which I know isn't usually the case)

Your thinking is correct. For the most part the proximity alarm is about as useful as a "hint" that says, "From the parking lot go to the only tree within 1000 feet."

having said that, i must admit I enjoy hearing the bell go "ding" on my new Nuvi 255 (with the GSAK macro by pilotsnipes) when I drive close to a cache. Useful? Not very. But I enjoy the little Pavlovian rush anyway. :anibad: