Linux Solution

Arndtwe

I recently purchased a Dell Mini 9 and I absolutely love this thing. Everything I used on Windows either runs on Ubuntu or has a great (sometimes better) alternative. All except Geocaching software that is. Or should I say was? I was having a ton of trouble getting any Geo-software to run on my mini 9, even the stuff that supposedly worked on Ubuntu. And I was really missing being able to use EasyGPS as it was my favorite software on Windows. Then I found it. THIS (<-- link) post. It will instruct you on getting EasyGPS running on Linux. Now, it was done on Ubuntu, but since it's running through Wine, any flavor that can run Wine should work.

The only downside I can find with this whole experience, is that you cannot run the latest version of EasyGPS. You must settle with version 1.3.7. But that's ok in my book. At least now I can actually use my GPS with my laptop, and get one step closer to completely never touching Windows again. That to me, is big enough of an up side to more then make up for that one small downside ;-)

I recently purchased a Dell Mini 9 and I absolutely love this thing. Everything I used on Windows either runs on Ubuntu or has a great (sometimes better) alternative. All except Geocaching software that is. Or should I say was? I was having a ton of trouble getting any Geo-software to run on my mini 9, even the stuff that supposedly worked on Ubuntu. And I was really missing being able to use EasyGPS as it was my favorite software on Windows. Then I found it. THIS (<-- link) post. It will instruct you on getting EasyGPS running on Linux. Now, it was done on Ubuntu, but since it's running through Wine, any flavor that can run Wine should work.

The only downside I can find with this whole experience, is that you cannot run the latest version of EasyGPS. You must settle with version 1.3.7. But that's ok in my book. At least now I can actually use my GPS with my laptop, and get one step closer to completely never touching Windows again. That to me, is big enough of an up side to more then make up for that one small downside ;-)

I use Cachewolf and GPSman on Linux. No wine required. :rolleyes:

In my opinion GPSman is equivalent to EasyGPS.

Cachewolf handles everything else and can use GPSbabel to replace GPSman if you'd like a more intergrated solution.

I use Cachewolf and GPSman on Linux. No wine required. :mad:

In my opinion GPSman is equivalent to EasyGPS.

Cachewolf handles everything else and can use GPSbabel to replace GPSman if you'd like a more intergrated solution.

Can you tell me why both Cachewolf and GPSMan are required? I'm just looking for functionality similar to Cachemate - I'd like to load the .gpx file into my eeePC and be able to read about the cache and write notes on each cache while in the field. And is there an English version of the Cachewolf page?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.