Cachin Kids Geocoin Design Competition

Brave Defender

:huh: Sounds like a good idea. Wish someone in New Zealand would come up with an idea like that. I would be keen to get my hands on one of your new coins when they are done

Cool! We did something similar at GCF. The winning designs (chosen by a very prestigious panel of judges) are being minted by Oakcoins into the official, trackable Take a Kid Geocaching event coins (we'll be posting more info about this soon).

Haggis is a traditional Scottish dish.

This is what i found.

Is there another term for it??

Since the rapid decline of the natural stocks in the 1930's, hunting the wild Haggis has been strictly forbidden - only the Queen is allowed to 'chase' the Haggis, although she chooses not to exercise this right.

Therefore all store bought Haggis is now sustainably farmed, although one day we hope to see a large scale reintroduction of this wonderful indigenous European marsupial back into its natural habitat of the Highlands of Scotland. The distinctive 'pouch' of the Haggis inspired the wearing of the Sporran as part of traditional Scottish national dress.

2009 is Homecoming year for Scotland and the 250th anniversary of Robert Burns' birth.

See you there.

ATB

Mac

Edited by SaltercreaseRangers

Haggis is a traditional Scottish dish.

This is what i found.

Is there another term for it??

Since the rapid decline of the natural stocks in the 1930's, hunting the wild Haggis has been strictly forbidden - only the Queen is allowed to 'chase' the Haggis, although she chooses not to exercise this right.

Therefore all store bought Haggis is now sustainably farmed, although one day we hope to see a large scale reintroduction of this wonderful indigenous European marsupial back into its natural habitat of the Highlands of Scotland. The distinctive 'pouch' of the Haggis inspired the wearing of the Sporran as part of traditional Scottish national dress.

2009 is Homecoming year for Scotland and the 250th anniversary of Robert Burns' birth.

See you there.

ATB

Mac

Mac,

You are correct in what you say, however as it is the year of the Homecoming I have been granted special license to obtain by humane means one brace of Greater Spotted Haggii. :anibad:

Edited by Brave Defender

WickedPedia: A Haggis is a small three-legged animal native to the Highland glens and mountains of Scotland.

When seen running around the steep hilly slopes like Craig Dhu, it's pretty obvious that the animal has two legs on the outside and one leg on the inside! The inside leg is shorter which means that the animal can only run round the steep mountains and hills in one direction or they'd come tumbling down in a heap at the bottom!

There are two known species of Wild Haggis native to the Highlands with the main difference being that one has the single short leg on the left and the other has the single short leg on the right. The two species coexist on the hillsides with each running clockwise or counterclockwise. There is no cross-breeding because the male of one variety cannot cannot mate with the female of the other variety... turning to face his intended mate would cause the male to topple over on his mismatched legs!

This doesn't pertain to your contest BUT wasn't there a contest last year where kids competed, we voted. Well, what became of That con? anybody know?!?

Fairyhoney I don't have an answer to that one this idea was suggested to me by another cacher who thought it would be a good idea to get the kids involved in fundraising for an event!

I am not sure if you have checked the link to our website in the first post. Can I put yor mind at ease and assure you everything is above board and laid down in the rules on the competition page. I know you are not suggesting that this is the case with this competition. I am sincerely hoping that I get a good response from all the budding artists to make it a bit fun for the kids and get a design on a coin that someone may not necessarily have been in a position to fund themselves :)

Edited by Brave Defender

Cool! We did something similar at GCF. The winning designs (chosen by a very prestigious panel of judges) are being minted by Oakcoins into the official, trackable Take a Kid Geocaching event coins (we'll be posting more info about this soon).

This doesn't pertain to your contest BUT wasn't there a contest last year where kids competed, we voted. Well, what became of That con? anybody know?!?

Fairyhoney I don't have an answer to that one this idea was suggested to me by another cacher who thought it would be a good idea to get the kids involved in fundraising for an event!

I am not sure if you have checked the link to our website in the first post. Can I put yor mind at ease and assure you everything is above board and laid down in the rules on the competition page. I know you are not suggesting that this is the case with this competition. I am sincerely hoping that I get a good response from all the budding artists to make it a bit fun for the kids and get a design on a coin that someone may not necessarily have been in a position to fund themselves :)

I wasn't implying anything here, I saw what you were doing - which is an EXCELLENT idea - and it struck me that there was once a project that involved getting kids involved.I was only curious about what happened to it and was hoping that others coming here might know. I am sorry that I used your posting to try and solve my curiosity. Oops, upon further looking, I see that DresselDragons answered

GOOD LUCK on your endeavor. and again, sorry

I am not sure if you have checked the link to our website in the first post. Can I put yor mind at ease and assure you everything is above board and laid down in the rules on the competition page. I know you are not suggesting that this is the case with this competition. I am sincerely hoping that I get a good response from all the budding artists to make it a bit fun for the kids and get a design on a coin that someone may not necessarily have been in a position to fund themselves B)

I wasn't implying anything here, I saw what you were doing - which is an EXCELLENT idea - and it struck me that there was once a project that involved getting kids involved.I was only curious about what happened to it and was hoping that others coming here might know. I am sorry that I used your posting to try and solve my curiosity. Oops, upon further looking, I see that DresselDragons answered

GOOD LUCK on your endeavor. and again, sorry

Fairyhoney I did recognise that you were not implying it was anything to do with this competition :blink:

I just wanted a little clarity so that posts were not misread, no need for apologies, no harm done :rolleyes: