My Road Trip

I am taking this route to get home from Hurlburt Field FL to Dallas Oregon.

grr... I dont know what is wrong with my link, I cant make it work right. Here are the actual addresses in the order I am going if you can copy / paste them into Google maps or copy the raw URL and paste it into your browser:

1: Hurlburt Field, FL

2: 315 Beale St, Memphis, TN

3: 100 Broadway, Nashville, TN 37201

4: 424 South 4th St, Louisville KY

5: 49 S Meridian St, Indianapolis, Marion, Indiana 46204

6: 450 St. Louis Union Station, St. Louis, MO

7: 13000 Highway 244, Keystone, SD

8: 321 NE Kings Valley Hwy, Dallas OR

maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Hurlburt+Field,+FL&daddr=315+Beale+St,+Memphis,+TN+to:100+Broadway,+Nashville,+TN+37201+to:424+South+4th+St,+Louisville+KY+to:49+S+Meridian+St,+Indianapolis,+Marion,+Indiana+46204+to:450+St.+Louis+Union+Station,+St.+Louis,+MO+to:13000+Highway+244,+Keystone,+SD+to:321+NE+Kings+Valley+Hwy,+Dallas+OR&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=30.425545,-86.724303&sspn=25.586468,37.924805&ie=UTF8&ll=39.232253,-85.517578&spn=23.053135,37.924805&z=5

I am hoping people who live or have cached along my route will be able to help me out choosing caches to get along my way.

I am looking for really cool or memorable caches or just caches in really neat places.

My trip is going to be at the end of June 2009, I am trying to plot out my caching and give plenty of time for people to submit some ideas!

Thanks!! :)

Edited by Greg&Dinah

I am hoping people who live or have cached along my route will be able to help me out choosing caches to get along my way.

I am looking for really cool or memorable caches or just caches in really neat places.

My trip is going to be at the end of June 2009, I am trying to plot out my caching and give plenty of time for people to submit some ideas!

Thanks!! :)

Wallace ID, right off of I-90. The cache that I found has been archived, but there is a new one, Wallace Silver. This is in a small park that is a "must see" location. I would suggest it even if there was no cache there. You can be on and off the interstate in five minutes, but plan on at least a half hour exploring.

Looks like a great trip. See you are going through Louisville. I've been looking at some caches there that look interesting. Most are in or around Falls of The Ohio State Park located at Clarksville, Indiana. Quite a few earth caches there along the river. Falls Of The Ohio (EC) and Sandstone Erratic both look interesting. The area is full of interesting earth caches and lots of Lewis and Clark history.

Yeah, swing up and hit the Original Stash plaque, it's not that far away. And while you're in the area, maybe hit up my cache, That Sinking Feeling (GC1GR3J) in Keizer, just north of Salem. It's inactive at the moment, but it should be back out in the wild well before you get out here. Sorry for the shameless plug, but my hide is, well, pretty freakin' awesome!

Since I live in the Salem area, I will be getting the caches up in the portland area, but probably wont stop on my road trip for them since i can just drive up there anytime. By that point we will probably be just ready to be home :huh:

some good ones here to me to look for :ph34r:

Found a Lord of the Rings series in Memphis I will have to try to get as well ;)

Found a Lord of the Rings series in Memphis I will have to try to get as well ;)

Here's one more DO NOT MISS cache in Memphis: The Grotto

I linked you to the picture gallery. It's a wowzer of a virtual and it even has a log to sign if you get there before dusk.

I hid a few of my smashed pennies there on my last visit. If you plan on doing it, send me a PM and I'll give you a treasure map. :huh::ph34r:

If you're going to be in Keystone, SD, I'd definitely stop at Badlands National Park along your way! The gallery for Buffalo Pie - Badlands National Park should give you an idea of how awesome the park is. Truley unique, and after a looooooong drive across SD on I-90, the first glimpse of the badlands to the left as the rolling hills give way to the red rock, was... incredible.

Definitely also stop at the Devils Tower in Wyoming.

I can't get your link to work... When you head west, are you planning on sticking to Interstates and heading up 90 through Montana, or will you be cutting across Wyoming to hit I-84 in Idaho?

If you cut across, I'd recommend taking US-14, rather than 16. I think it's a more direct route, but more importantly, you'll go up through the mountains in Bighorn National Recreation area, the views are spectacular.

I'm pretty sure Yellowstone and all it's got to offer is a no-brainer, if you're going that way, but make sure not to miss Grand Teton the hike I took past the cache that link points to, is probably, to date my favorite hike I've been on (though, some banff and glacier spots come close). It's was incredible. We parked at the visitor center by Jenny Lake and went around from the south. After this cache at the Inspiration Point, we headed up the relatively flat, and absolutely magnificent Cascade Canyon Trail, taking the north fork of the trail up to lake Solitude. When we got up to the lake, it was obvious why it was named that. Such a peaceful spot nestled between the mountains. Very silent. Then a long steep haul up the ridge and back down the Paintbrush Canyon trail. If you've got the time, I highly recommend it. It's a long loop, but very well worth it. My legs handled a little better than my shoes, haha. I needed to go shopping after this one!

Continuing west from here, theres a small, gem of a park in Idaho called Craters of the Moon. Spent a nice afternoon there. Definitely a cool spot.

Between Missouri and South Dakota, if you find yourself in southwestern Minnesota on I-90, the Pipestone National Monument is a very special place.

Outside of Portland, there is Multonomah Falls, and you were probably already planning on hitting up the Original Stash Plaque :(

Have an awesome trip! Im so jealous :)