Beware of PAYPAL handing your membership

rldill

I have had several problems with PayPal and my GC member ship I started out with a charter membership and lost it due to PayPal, I started a thread here the first time. It appears mine was not the only 1 lost due to PayPal according to that thread. At the end of my then current membership there was a hold placed on my account by PayPal for $30.00 for renewal but not paid, it took over a year to get it straightened out & then only during a paypal audit. I lost my charter membership due to it. My renewal come up for this year, Groundspeak got the money for it but paypal has placed 4 other $30.00 holds on my account saying they were for Groundspeak. Here is an email I received from PayPal regarding them.

Dear Roger,

Thank you for calling PayPal. I am sorry to hear about this situation,

and understand your frustration and concern over the transactions below.

Mar. 1, 2009 23:47:49 PST Debit $30.00 USD Denied ... Website Transaction

Mar. 1, 2009 23:47:41 PST Debit $30.00 USD Denied ... Website Transaction

Mar. 1, 2009 23:41:48 PST Debit $30.00 USD Denied ... Website Transaction

Mar. 1, 2009 23:41:40 PST Debit $30.00 USD Denied

We cannot release the holds. Denied charges through PayPal are treated

the same way as if it were your bank debit card, the charges get pended

for 3 to 5 business days and we have no availability to release the

funds for you as the holds are placed by your bank.

We appreciate your patience and understanding regarding this matter, and

wish you continued success on PayPal.

Sincerely,

Deborah

PayPal Resolution Services

PayPal, an eBay Company

I think this is a PayPal issue instead of Groundspeak. I called Groundspeak here is the email I received from them.

Hi Roger,

I have been through both PayPal and our store accounts and can not find anywhere that says you are being charged more then once for your current account. According to our records you should only be charged once at $30.00. If you are able to find transaction ID or order numbers for any other purchases please let me know ASAP and we will look into it immediately.

I am very sorry for the inconvenience,

Best Regards,

Jessica

---

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

www.geocaching.com

www.Waymarking.com

www.Wherigo.com

I have had several problems with PayPal and my GC member ship I started out with a charter membership and lost it due to PayPal, I started a thread here the first time. It appears mine was not the only 1 lost due to PayPal according to that thread. At the end of my then current membership there was a hold placed on my account by PayPal for $30.00 for renewal but not paid, it took over a year to get it straightened out & then only during a paypal audit. I lost my charter membership due to it. My renewal come up for this year, Groundspeak got the money for it but paypal has placed 4 other $30.00 holds on my account saying they were for Groundspeak. Here is an email I received from PayPal regarding them.

Dear Roger,

Thank you for calling PayPal. I am sorry to hear about this situation,

and understand your frustration and concern over the transactions below.

Mar. 1, 2009 23:47:49 PST Debit $30.00 USD Denied ... Website Transaction

Mar. 1, 2009 23:47:41 PST Debit $30.00 USD Denied ... Website Transaction

Mar. 1, 2009 23:41:48 PST Debit $30.00 USD Denied ... Website Transaction

Mar. 1, 2009 23:41:40 PST Debit $30.00 USD Denied

We cannot release the holds. Denied charges through PayPal are treated

funds for you as the holds are placed by your bank.

We appreciate your patience and understanding regarding this matter, and

wish you continued success on PayPal.

Sincerely,

Deborah

PayPal Resolution Services

PayPal, an eBay Company

I think this is a PayPal issue instead of Groundspeak. I called Groundspeak here is the email I received from them.

Hi Roger,

I have been through both PayPal and our store accounts and can not find anywhere that says you are being charged more then once for your current account. According to our records you should only be charged once at $30.00. If you are able to find transaction ID or order numbers for any other purchases please let me know ASAP and we will look into it immediately.

I am very sorry for the inconvenience,

Best Regards,

Jessica

---

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

www.geocaching.com

www.Waymarking.com

www.Wherigo.com

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems. Speaking for myself, my wife Sue and I have, since early 2005, used Paypal to pay our monthly Groundspeak membership subscriptions for anywhere from two to four Premium membership accounts each month, and, in all that time, we have have never had a problem with Paypal. And, I have used Paypal since 1999 to pay for a wide range of goods purchased on websites from across the world, and have received funds via Paypal from hundreds of consulting clients and customers from across the world, and I have never had a single problem that was at all traceable to Paypal. So, I am quite happy with them.

I hope that your problems with payments get resolved.

"We cannot release the holds. Denied charges through PayPal are treated

funds for you as the holds are placed by your bank."

....methinks it's your bank you should be contacting, since they're the ones that placed the holds, allegedly.

It'd sure be quicker & easier'n any 3rd party left-coast send-&-wonder-while-waiting route.

~*

"We cannot release the holds. Denied charges through PayPal are treated

funds for you as the holds are placed by your bank."

....methinks it's your bank you should be contacting, since they're the ones that placed the holds, allegedly.

It'd sure be quicker & easier'n any 3rd party left-coast send-&-wonder-while-waiting route.

~*

Yes. I had something similar happen once with an online order for which I had paid with my Paypal card, and it was certainly due to no fault of Paypal, but rather the online vendor and their credit card gateway vendor/bank. The weird storefront credit card gateway used by the vendor (Radio Shack online) ended up dinging my Paypal card five times for the transaction, that is, placing five holds on my account, each about a minute apart. I ended up having to wait about six days till the four spurious holds expired and the one real hold turned into a true debit. This was not Paypal's fault, but rather that of the credit card gateway vendor used by Radio Shack's online store.

Incidentally, between my wife Sue and myself, we have a total of four Paypal accounts, and we have had them for years, and we use them extensively, and we have never had a single problem with any of the four accounts that was traceable to Paypal.