Using Google Earth to Log Marks - Not Really!

CallawayMT

The new version of Google Earth is amazing, this was probably available in the past as well. Using the street view portion of Google Earth I just viewed an Astronomic Station placed in 1892 in Tacoma Washington.

Type "82 S G St" into your "Fly To" box and then go into the photo view and look Southwesterly and you can clearly see Tacoma Astronomic - SY2718.

You can get the imbed code to your website, but I could not get it to view here.

I am heading to the airport soon and will be going on the ground to recover this station, but was amazed to be able to see a photograph of it in Google Earth.

Soon to be in Tacoma,

Kurt

Edited by CallawayMT

The new version of Google Earth is amazing, this was probably available in the past as well. Using the street view portion of Google Earth I just viewed an Astronomic Station placed in 1892 in Tacoma Washington.

Type "82 S G St" into your "Fly To" box and then go into the photo view and look Southwesterly and you can clearly see Tacoma Astronomic - SY2718.

You can get the imbed code to your website, but I could not get it to view here.

I am heading to the airport soon and will be going on the ground to recover this station, but was amazed to be able to see a photograph of it in Google Earth.

Soon to be in Tacoma,

Kurt

How long are you going to be out here? Asks someone from the greater Seattle area?

That made me look at something.

Try looking at the north wall of the red brick building at 16310 Cleveland Street, Redmond Washington. Its the building on the south east corner of the intersection and its called the Matador.

There are two black doors on the north face of the building with a window between them. If you look below the east edge of the window you can just make out the disk mounted vertically in the brick work.

Kurt--

Thanks for showing us that view!

When we found this station in January of 2006, we were a little puzzled to see that it had been found many times by geocachers, but that the latest report on the data sheet was in 1905. We still haven't really figured out why that was. Enjoy your trip!

Cheers,

Andrew,

I am just here for a couple days and will be in survey meetings and conferences.

Which is why I did get to the Astro Station as soon as I arrived, I was able to walk to it within 45 minutes. No way I will make it up to Redmond.

m&h,

I am surpised that the Astro Station was not recovered since 1905 as well. Looks like you must have done it, so I won't bother. It was a cool old mark.

BDT,

I definitely missed that old post, but I will be using the function for a lot of things. I used it just yesterday on a question from a field crew involving a light pole in the position of a property corner and how to set a new monument. I looked at the street view and was able to have them set the corner as an RM and could see the best direction to do it.

SquareNail,

You can't beat me to the monument legitimately!

I did stop at SY2694 on my walk and I can see it in the street view photo.

Kurt