What's up with shipping charges all of a sudden?

sunsetmeadowlark

I know postage on packages has gone up recently and first class is going up again soon but all of a sudden I'm seeing drastic increases in the prices people are charging to ship coins. I've been browsing the available coins the past few days and have found several I'd like to order but in nearly every instance I've decided not to because of the shipping charges. Seriously, $5-$7 to ship one coin is a bit much, even when you figure in a handling charge to cover supplies. Padded mailers don't cost that much!

Look into the size of the coin, as well as what other services they might be including.

My 10 commandments of Geocaching coin weighs more than 2 regular sized coins and I also require insurance. The postage and insurance alone cost about $3.50 for one these coins. I still then have to cover the cost of the packaging, time and gas to the post office, and time spent packaging the product.

Now, I know some people will say that they don't want insurance, but if I did that I would increase the cost of my coins to offset the chance of a loss. Now this would hurt people that purchased multiple coins from me as insurance starts at $1.70; and if instead of requiring insurance I tacked on an extra $1.00/coin, that buyer is now out $.30 for the second coin. Depending on the price of the coin, say $7.50, that is $5.30 for 6 coins @ $45. At $50.01 the price of insurance increases. That is almost another whole coin they could purchase, or can be viewed as a good portion of the cost of the shipping they are paying.

Another option I could use is to say that insurance is included in the cost of the coin; at which point I would just raise all the prices on my coins by $1.50. Instead of them being $7.50 they are $9.00 and now you are out $5.80 on 5 coins before you reach the $50.01 where the cost of insurance increases.

I thought about this a lot as you can see. I believe it was best not to inflate the cost of the product and to give a lower cost by charging the insurance. I also offer to combine shipping on all my auctions, and rates are based of the actual postage rate plus standard rate for shipping/handling.

Based on the number of coins it takes time to cut out the box board I tape the coins in and if they are too heavy for first class mail, I have to tape bubble wrap around that before they go into the flat rate priority envelope. I know some people just throw coins into a padded envelope, but I take the time to make sure they are safe and don't damage each other in shipping.

So you are correct, a bubble mail doesn't cost too much, but for me there is still: Packing tape, bubble wrap, time spent packaging, time driving to and from the post office, and the gas to and from the post office.

Thanks,

maldar

I know postage on packages has gone up recently and first class is going up again soon but all of a sudden I'm seeing drastic increases in the prices people are charging to ship coins. I've been browsing the available coins the past few days and have found several I'd like to order but in nearly every instance I've decided not to because of the shipping charges. Seriously, $5-$7 to ship one coin is a bit much, even when you figure in a handling charge to cover supplies. Padded mailers don't cost that much!

Consider what I've always had to pay.....

shipping of $15US is not uncommon for me.

So I consider carefully and consolidate, buy and then discover the next day a new coin listed that I want!!!

The sellers sets a price and the buyer decides whether or not to purchase at that price. We all make decisions like this every day. Why do you feel the need to tell us about your personal buying choices?

I agree that 5 to 7 dollars to ship a coin from US seller to US buyer is high, shipping has gone up but not very much. The last increase was so small we opted to not increase our shipping fees. As stated above a simple way to not support excessive shipping fees is to not purchase from that particular seller. If you are buying from a cacher and not a store you can also contact them and see if they would be willing to lower shipping cost, never hurts to ask.

Large shipping costs is why I buy less coins. There have been several times that I've been really close to buying a coin, but once the shipping price gets to $3.50 for one coin, I'm done.

I've done shipping on several coins. I've made a few of my own, and I ship for our local group. We don't use insurance. What we spend on insurace doesn't make up for coin losses. We lose maybe one or two packages. If you figure insurance cost on all the packages compared to losing 5 coins, it just isn't a cost that I'm willing to pass on. We've always gladly replaced the coins.

Edited by MustangJoni

I have only solf coins on EBAY. I typically charge $3.00 for a standard geocoin (1.5", 1.75"). If its much larger, or much heavier, i may increase this price slightly. I set my price based on package, shipping cost, and gas fees. I purchase padded envelopes in bulk on EBAY, which ultimately end up costing me $0.30- $0.50 each. I usually sell my coins on EBAY and I sell them in groups, so they close out together and I can ship them all on the same day - saving me on trips to the Post Office. Part of the $3.00 includes my EBAY listing Fee, Final sale fee, and PayPal fee. Online Coin Stores may have other overhead fees such as operating costs (website) and Credit Card Services (fees for accepting payment via credit Card) - which they ultimately may add into their Shipping Costs.

Part of the $3.00 includes my EBAY listing Fee, Final sale fee, and PayPal fee.

That's a violation of seller policy you know. We're not allowed to include those fees in our shipping & handling charges.

I do flat rate also, but delivery confirmation as well as all shipping supplies - mailer, tape, bubble wrap, labels & sharpie markers are included. That's in addition to postage, delivery confirmation and gas - all of which we are allowed to charge for.

Coin prices are down. Profits are down. The higher handling charge shifts some of the profit from the sale price to the shipping price. Others have pointed out the problem with insurance. I've found that if you pay for tracking on everything you amazingly have less "losses". Does it suck we have to do that? Yes. Insurance would raise the price further though.

As a buyer that just means you need to factor the entire price into what the coin costs.

My fund raising coin uses 3rd party fulfillment. When you calculate the cost of their time in the S&H charge it's going to be a bit higher than when someone is just charging for the materials and postage.

That's a violation of seller policy you know. We're not allowed to include those fees in our shipping & handling charges....

One more reason ebay is rather annoying. If you don't recoup the eBay and PayPal fee's that's just bad business. Since you can't tell if someone is going to use paypal or not, and you can't say "special Pay Pal Tax" on top of the purchase price it's another thing you have to factor into the bigger picture.

I recently got an American Express card. They charge merchants a higher fee than the other credit cards. Some place solve this by not taking Amex. I don't blame them. I think eBay is solving the PayPal problem by making it so everyone has to take it. Hmmmm...

MY MOTHER WORKS FOR THE USPS. We were talking about this last week,, dont quote me but this is what i think i remember her saying ,, its 60 cents for the inatial mailer with a object in it up to 2 ounces and then its 20 cents an ounce after that up to 1 pound.

and we were talking about sending coins in a card not a mailer....i may be wrong ,,short memory from that convo,,, i wrote it down but lost the paper too. ooops.

Edited by DJ.J.ROCK

MY MOTHER WORKS FOR THE USPS. We were talking about this last week,, dont quote me but this is what i think i remember her saying ,, its 60 cents for the inatial mailer with a object in it up to 2 ounces and then its 20 cents an ounce after that up to 1 pound.

and we were talking about sending coins in a card not a mailer....i may be wrong ,,short memory from that convo,,, i wrote it down but lost the paper too. ooops.

That sounds about right. I use to work at a Postal Contractor and I know that each ounce is additional, but I think that First Class only goes to 13 ounces. After that it is Parcel Post, or Priority. You also have Media mail, but that does not relate to us and Express is so expensive.

I ship internationally and using the postal service is the best route to go when doing such sales. When I thought to check to see what UPS would charge to ship one coin it came out to close to $60. I think that was to our friends Down Under. Now, that would have arrived in 2 days, but that is extreme. In all my time on eBay, only once has someone use asked to anything other than the cheapest way; and that was only express mail via the post office.

My post office must be ripping me off then. I just paid 79 cents just to mail a path tag in a regular sized brown envelope.

The sellers sets a price and the buyer decides whether or not to purchase at that price. We all make decisions like this every day. Why do you feel the need to tell us about your personal buying choices?

We do, but unless somebody says something, costs are just going to keep creeping up on us. They likely will anyway, but at least its out there that we don't appreciate it. Thanks for posting this sunsetmeadowlark.

I've passed on a lot of coins lately that I would have really have liked to have bought. Sales seem to go well anyway, so I fear that I'll be passing on even more in the future since we've proven that they'll sell at the higher price/shipping cost. Some of it may be due to increasing costs, I'll give you that. But how much have costs increased?

I do appreciate all of the work that sellers put into making their coin projects happen, and I'm not saying any of you should do it for free. But there's a point at which I can't really justify the expense to myself.

My post office must be ripping me off then. I just paid 79 cents just to mail a path tag in a regular sized brown envelope.

I'm not sure what they're doing differently, but oddly enough, I have found prices vary by post office on the same item. A pathtag in a regular envelope, I'd think would be something you could just slap a stamp on, no? I've never mailed them, I'm just guessing.

I'm not sure what they're doing differently, but oddly enough, I have found prices vary by post office on the same item. A pathtag in a regular envelope, I'd think would be something you could just slap a stamp on, no? I've never mailed them, I'm just guessing.

I thought so too..and I did that the first time I mailed one. I received an email from my buyer that her post office had charged her 30 cents insufficient postage. Since I don't want that happening to buyers..I have them all weighed now to make sure.

The best way to check actual shipping is to use the USPS.com - price postage calculator for exact shipping. I use this for mailing coins and have never had a package sent back( edit to add; as long as I put in the right information). There is a significant price charge between using the 'large envelope' versus the 'package' option. If you have a thin coin, you can probably get away with using the 'large envelope' and a 2 ounce rating would be .83 cents (at least from Montana). If I use the 'package' option then the initial price becomes $1.35. This is only the exact cost to ship a 2 ounce coin.

Then you take into consideration a number of options included in the shipping price;

*paypal fees (for those who accept credit cards or have something like payments pro, there is a monthly charge for us $30 a month)

*price of coinvelope (it costs money to have them shipped to the coin seller to)

*fuel to the PO/back home

*invoices (printed out at home for records)

*printer ink

* your time

*insurance (optional)

Much like what others have said above. I agree that anything above $3.00 to ship 1 coin within the US is excessive and I wouldn't pay it but on the other hand I suppose there are other factors to look at. Price of coin, does it balance out? If you (general) don't agree you definitely shouldn't buy. There is 1 vendor here who sells coins and only ships them priority w/insurance. His coins are very popular and when I pay shipping I cringe but those are his terms and I can understand why he does it that way so I make the choice to pay or pass.

A great way to get around shipping price is to arrange trades.

Edited by tsunrisebey

There is 1 vendor here who sells coins and only ships them priority w/insurance.

Yeah, I don't agree with the Priority only service. I think I understand why they may to it though. For me, I would have to be buying many coins to make Priority worth the cost.

I have been starting to watch the higher freight ones but i have not paid over 5.00 yet.

It is a good way to give EBAY less of your money.

Ebay does not charge a percentge on shipping.

Sell a 9.99 coin then you pay listing fees and percentage of sale.

Shipping 3.00 ebay does not touch.

Buyers total ends up being 12.99

Sell a coin for 5.99 and pay listing and ebay fees on just that.

Charge 7.00 shipping and EBAY takes no fee out.

buyers cost 12.99

The seller pays less fees with higher frieght.

Ebay will tell you it is best to offer free shipping and you will make more money.

They kept telling me that and i tried it one week and ended up paying Ebay more money then before because i added my shipping in the price.

I fought with ebay on this matter and I told them they where not honest to there customers by saying they would make more money.

I finally got there customer service people to agree that it does cost the seller more money to give free shipping.

I also got them to agree that this was false (Ebay will tell you it is best to offer free shipping and you will make more money)

I was not happy and i lost more of my percentage of sales to ebay.

Now for the postage issue.

I can not figure out our mail system.

I mail almost daily and the prices do change from teller to teller so i plan on paying the higher price.

I mail out of the US or Canada for 5.00 then a extra 1.00 per coin.

I had a order for 8 coins so the total shipping i charged was 5.00 1st and then 1.00 x 7 total charge of 12.00

When i mailed this out the total shipping was 11.70 at the usps counter.

I then had the lady check the rate on half the weight and it was cheaper to send it in two bubble mailers then in one.

I paid the 11.70 because i did not want to hassle with seperating it.

When i mail coins out of the US it cost me from .20 to 1.00 per coin to mail a extra one in the same envelope.

I have been adviced i will save money on shipping by using USPS Online and they give free conformation.

I am ready to start trying it and seeing.

Higher Freight charges = Less Money to Ebay and more to seller.

USPS with free conformation and less rates = Less Money to PaY Pal and more to seller.

HUMMMMM

I agree that the USPS is never consistent with it's pricing.

I think that some of this is due to the fact that not all their employees know all the regulations. As I stated above, I worked at a postal contract station. There are small fees that many people overlook. While a large 9x10 envelope may be the same weight as a 10# envelope, you should be charged an oversized fee for it, which is normally the cost of on extra ounce; which is also the cost of a postcard stamp. Any envelope over 1/4 of an inch think is also charged this fee. This is due to the fact that these cannot be processed by the machines and must be handled by hand. I cannot recall the number of times I had to remind a coworker about the extra fee.

Coins are supposed to be shipped package rate not letter rate or large envelope rate. You may get lucky and get away with letter or large envie rate from time to time, but the truth is, coins are not a flat parcel and therefore a bubble mailer should be considered a package. Package rate is higher than the other two first class methods.

I just shipped a box (GPS) to from Michigan to Shreveport LA and the cost (without insurance) was $3+...for a box! Adding insurance, it was still in the $5 range...coins shouldn't cost that much to ship!

Was that parcel post or 1st class. It sounds like a parcel post rate.

I just shipped a box (GPS) to from Michigan to Shreveport LA and the cost (without insurance) was $3+...for a box! Adding insurance, it was still in the $5 range...coins shouldn't cost that much to ship!

Was that parcel post or 1st class. It sounds like a parcel post rate.

Receipt says First Class.

I think you might remember the GPS in the box!! :) Sent to a newb in need!! It got me through the tough times and now is off to make someone else happy, THANKS!!

Last year, shipping 2 boxes box containing a backpack and some camping equipment cost $55 to Canada.

This year, shipping the same two boxes of equipment to the same address in Canada, with the same service (cheapest one available) cost $180.

I was shocked at the post office. I had to break the bank to get two hundred-dollar bills just to get my stuff shipped back after a camping trip.

I am not camping in the states ever again unless I'm actually driving down (as opposed to flying, and getting everything damaged when it goes through TSA).

Durring the Christmas mission i mailed 2 packages that where the same and one to the US was 5.77 and the out of US one was almost 30.00.

I took it back home and removed the sruffed animal then put it in a smaller box and mailed it.

I saved 22.00 dollars by removing a stuffed animal my kids made at Build a Bear for there mission.

I was really bummed out about it and had it all sitting at the USPS counter asking Why is it so much to add this one item and they said the size my daughter kept the bear and we put another nice coin in the mission to make up for the bear.

Back to the POST.

I have seen coin stores in other countries charging outrageous shipping to buy from them and i did not think that was right and i really wanted there coins.

I never bought from them and i never will.

The initial post wasn't meant to single out any particular seller and was primarily referring to non e-Bay sales of a single coin shipped from a US seller to a US buyer but it's interesting reading the different replies on this.

From the IP I thought we were singling out Ebay vendours for adding their auction and PayPal fees to the S&H fees but I guess I was wrong. Personally I refuse to pay $5 for shipping a coin especially when past experience showed that those ebayers charging that much usually took the longest to ship and also to give feedback. Higher prices for bad service? I don't think so.

As for $5-7 to ship a coin through a forum sale or even a merchant website.... PASS. I can understand a $2 surcharge to an order to cover handling costs and appreciate the honesty in putting out there for all to see. But a $3 surcharge to send your merchandise to the buyer is dishonest. If you're trying to make a living making coins and want the time it took to design and bring them to market to be compensated add it to the cost of the coin. Sorry, but if you can't produce a product cheaply enough to be competitive don't expect to be successful.

As for not wanking about prices.... if you don't mind being fleeced there is no point complaining about being sheepherded!! :anicute::)

I just shipped out 10 coins for a trade, yesterday. Only cost $2.70 for a bubble pack, First Class. It was almost 1-1/2 lbs.

I agree, $5 to $7 for one coin (domestic) is ridiculous. Even if you include the packaging...what's that....a $1?

I sell coins and my shipping charge is $2.50 for the 1st, plus $1.00 each addition coin. And that includes PayPal Fees, Postage, and materials.

I think you might remember the GPS in the box!! :) Sent to a newb in need!! It got me through the tough times and now is off to make someone else happy, THANKS!!

Sweet, the GPSr that keeps on giving. Should get a TB for it and each time it is given away it gets logged.

Holy Cow, I mail them all the time in a 2x3 yellow taped to the inside front of a 6" envelope and mail it for the reg. rate of .42. Every now and then they try to caharge an additional .17 for non bendable, but I show them that it does bend. "Has to bend 1" if laid on a table with half off the edge."

I just shipped out 10 coins for a trade, yesterday. Only cost $2.70 for a bubble pack, First Class. It was almost 1-1/2 lbs.

I don't know how that qualified for first class, as the weight limit for first class is 13 ounces.

USPS site info on services.

I also looked up the cost of the weight you stated, and the only service that will ship at that weight is Media Mail, which coins don't qualify.

USPS site info on Media Mail.

I call your bluff JB. 10 micro coins maybe. I know 5 regular coins is in the high $3 range for me inside us with no delivery confirmation and once you hit 6 or 7 coins, you're in the priority mail arena.

Edited by AtlantaGal

I agree, $5 to $7 for one coin (domestic) is ridiculous. Even if you include the packaging...what's that....a $1?

I sell coins and my shipping charge is $2.50 for the 1st, plus $1.00 each addition coin. And that includes PayPal Fees, Postage, and materials.

Xpax bubble mailer bought in bulk: .12, Shipping Label .05, Ink: .03 = packing:0.20

This will all change soon again as USPS rates are going up soon, but to mail a pathtag in a regular envelope, it should go non machineable rate 42cents + 20cents for non machineable, the PO has 62cent stamps for this purpose, i would still tape the pathtag in a 2x3envelope inside, the less the object moves, the better chance it has at surviving the trip, as for coins, we dont sell many, but trade often, we put tracking on everything, you would be suprised how far out of the way something go. but the 75 extra cents, can save it from "not getting there".

Barry of sweetlife

I suspect a $7 fee is just a fee that accurately reflects the packaging and handling component. Otherwise want your coins just dumped in a flat rate envelope? As a not really commercial outfit I rely on volunteer power to keep the shipping costs down and the packaging quality up ( son is still moaning about the first aussie coin we mailed out :) So I was somewhat disappointed to see the shipping charges for a certain fundraiser coin not only add a paypal surcharge but a similarly commercial postal charge.

also: In juggling the various rates it's quite hard to get it to be spot on to what an individual coin actually costs - there's a spread and a flagfall and a lone coin can be the winner or loser depending on how that is done. Without a pre-sale that's not possible to forecast so it would be better to err on the side of a higher charge than have a problem!

Coins are supposed to be shipped package rate not letter rate or large envelope rate. You may get lucky and get away with letter or large envie rate from time to time, but the truth is, coins are not a flat parcel and therefore a bubble mailer should be considered a package. Package rate is higher than the other two first class methods.

I disagree that the package rate is necessarily the appropriate one. According to DMM 101 - Physical standards for Retail Letters, Flats and Parcels, those items which make a letter non-macineable are different from things which make a flat non-machineable - which makes sense since letters and flats are supposedly sorted using different equipment. As long as the coin is secured within the flat, doesn't lead to uneven thickness (more than 1/4" variation [so if the coin and it's flip are less than 1/4" thick you should be good there]), and if the package is flexible alone the appropriate axes (don't tape the coin along a major axis) a bubble mailer should fit the definition of a large envelope.

At the current rates, there is only a 20¢ difference between a flat and a parcel, but come May, I believe that that difference will increase to 34¢ - on top of the postage increase. [:)]

This said, I carry copies of the appropriate postal regulations with me to the P.O. and have needed them on occasion when dealing with the counter staff or their managers. As they make their rules increasingly complex, the P.O. is becoming a more expensive P.I.T.A. each year.

It's only a violation if im claiming it in my description. I don't - so Its not a violation

<smile>

That's a violation of seller policy you know. We're not allowed to include those fees in our shipping & handling charges.

I do flat rate also, but delivery confirmation as well as all shipping supplies - mailer, tape, bubble wrap, labels & sharpie markers are included. That's in addition to postage, delivery confirmation and gas - all of which we are allowed to charge for.

It's only a violation if im claiming it in my description. I don't - so Its not a violation

<smile>

With ethic like that! Remind me to not and buy from you.

Taken from Knowing the Rules for Sellers.

Actions that avoid paying eBay fees – Selling fees help eBay support both buyers and sellers. Listing practices that circumvent (avoid) fees are unfair to sellers who pay the appropriate eBay fees and may provide a poor buying experience.

Examples of listing practices that are not allowed on eBay include:

* Offering the opportunity to buy the listed item or other items outside of eBay.

* Offering low item prices but unreasonably high shipping or handling charges.

* Listing an item that requires an additional purchase.

* Including contact information (e.g., email addresses, domain names, phone numbers) in the listing title, subtitle, item location, or images.

* Listing an item where a seller allows buyers to choose from a selection of items.

Taken from Your User Agreement.

Using eBay

While using eBay, you will not:

* post content or items in an inappropriate category or areas on our sites and services;

* violate any laws, third party rights, or our policies such as the Prohibited and Restricted Items policies;

* use our sites or services if you are not able to form legally binding contracts, are under the age of 18, or are temporarily or indefinitely suspended from our sites;

* fail to deliver payment for items purchased by you, unless the seller has materially changed the item's description after you bid, a clear typographical error is made, or you cannot authenticate the seller's identity;

* fail to deliver items purchased from you, unless the buyer fails to meet the posted terms, or you cannot authenticate the buyer's identity;

* manipulate the price of any item or interfere with other user's listings;

* circumvent or manipulate our fee structure, the billing process, or fees owed to eBay;

* post false, inaccurate, misleading, defamatory, or libelous content (including personal information);

* take any action that may undermine the feedback or ratings systems (such as displaying, importing or exporting feedback information off of the sites or using it for purposes unrelated to eBay);

* transfer your eBay account (including feedback) and User ID to another party without our consent;

* distribute or post spam, chain letters, or pyramid schemes;

* distribute viruses or any other technologies that may harm eBay, or the interests or property of eBay users;

* copy, modify, or distribute content from the Sites and eBay's copyrights and trademarks; or

* harvest or otherwise collect information about users, including email addresses, without their consent.

So, YES, it is a violation if you claim it or not in you description.

Doesn't matter what size the coin is, that's BS unless they are shipping to you priority. First class for a dragon spinner or rainbow bridge (3" coin) is about $2.80 ~ so they are basically just ripping you off unless there is insurance ($1.85) included.

Since you can't tell if someone is going to use paypal or not

Yeah you can. Ebay is exclusively paypal now. All other payments such as money orders or personal checks are against ebay policy.... along with another 5000 other things that are against ebay policy... :huh:

Yeah you can. Ebay is exclusively paypal now. All other payments such as money orders or personal checks are against ebay policy.... along with another 5000 other things that are against ebay policy... :huh:

I just discovered than in the past couple days, as I had errors popping up on eBay about that. Too bad I cannot afford a merchant account.

WOW

No wonder i have not seen a few of my regulars bidding.

I had some good customers using checks and i never had any issue.

WOW

No wonder i have not seen a few of my regulars bidding.

I had some good customers using checks and i never had any issue.

<post removed by moderator>

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

It will also depend on whether the clerk decides that what's inside is a "Stiff Object"(extra for that, since they process by hand)

Doesn't matter what size the coin is, that's BS unless they are shipping to you priority. First class for a dragon spinner or rainbow bridge (3" coin) is about $2.80 ~ so they are basically just ripping you off unless there is insurance ($1.85) included.

Yep. I just bought a dragon spinner, 9 micro coins, plus 4 other regular size coins from a website and was charged $5 shipping for the lot. And I did not pay inflated prices for the coins. Huge thanks to this seller, I appreciate it! On the other hand, I just passed on a purchase because the (non ebay) seller wanted $9 to ship three 2" coins.