FTF

redjada

heck, for one of my caches i offered to sing the congratulations song to the guy if he found it.

to my terrific surprise, the guy called me at home and there i was singing the song to a (then) near stranger.

it is never inappropriate to offer graciousness.

it is also not obligatory to offer firstfinders anything. sometimes they think you owe them something, but you don't.

If you feel like doing so, then go right ahead. I personally don't care who the FTF is and really don't pay attention to it.

I'll only contact a finder if he says something in his log that makes me want to reach out to him. I might have a question, or perhaps a comment. That is rare though.

I was just wondering. Is it appropriate to email the FTF cacher to offer congrats? And how about all the other finders of your cache? Do you send an email or just let it go? What is the proper thing to do when someone finds your cache? Thanks.

Usually, I'll put a "Congradulations to (the cacher's name/nic) for FTF!" in bold letter on the cache page.

I was just wondering. Is it appropriate to email the FTF cacher to offer congrats? And how about all the other finders of your cache? Do you send an email or just let it go? What is the proper thing to do when someone finds your cache? Thanks.

We place a FTF pin in all our caches, and have begun Putting a Congrats to the FTF Cacher on the Cache Page as soon as they find it.

I have never contacted a FTF of any of my caches. I have noticed that once a cache is found, other CO's have placed a "CONGRATULATIONS" announcement at the beginning of the description of the cache with the FTF's name. I started doing this myself on my caches. As you might well know, that as more and more people log their finds of your caches, the FTF's name gets buried at the bottom of the logs. The FTF's brief moment of fame. You can leave it on indefinitely or remove it after a period of time. Do whatever you feel is right my you. :)

I generally don't much care about FTF's, whether they be a cache I find or a cache I hide. So, no, I've never contacted anyone just because they found my cache first. Nor would I ever expect to hear from someone specifically just because I got to their cache before anyone else either.

I usually always contact my cache finders. For the FTF I put a "congrats" on the cache page along with an email to them. For subsequent finders I usually jot off a quick "thanks for visiting our cache" email.

Likewise. :)

Not only do I send the "congrats" email to the FTF, I put them and the STF and sometimes the TTF's name up on the cache's web page.

I also make it a habit to email anyone that takes the time and puts in the effort to post a nice log to my caches. I don't always hear back, but at least I'm being courteous in response to their nice log.

If someone just posts a short "SL, TFTC" I often don't bother.

I usually do both! I'll post congratulations to the FTF with a rolling banner on the cache page (e.g. Wildlife Encounter!) and then I'll send them a congratulatory note. All of the caches I've hidden so far are puzzle caches that take a bit of mental and sometimes physical effort to find. One of the reasons I like to contact the FTF is to obtain additional feedback on my puzzle and to see what method they used to solve it. Doesn't matter to me HOW they solved it (or even if they solved it at all!) but it does help me to create better puzzles in the future. And yes, it does give a boost to my ego when I receive a word of praise from the FTF themselves for the ingenuity and creativity of my puzzle cache! But the main reason behind my sending them an e-mail has to do with the fact that our geocaching community in Oklahoma is relatively small and chances are that, if we haven't already done so, we're sure to meet each other at one of our local monthly meetings. Sending a congratulatory note to another cacher .... FTF or otherwise .... is simply a gesture of friendship on my part and it's always rewarding to me when the recipient returns the favor. :)

I am new this geocaching bug (only 2 times out and 6 total finds) but I'll throw my two cents in. On each of our finds I wrote at least a little bit about the find and the site itself. I got an e-mail from one of the cache owners welcoming us to the world of geocaching and that he appreciated us leaving a little note about the find. He mentioned he likes it when others leave a few words as opposed to TNLN TFTF etc etc. This find happened to be at one of "my favorite spots" that I have visited many times prior to getting into geocaching and I of course had only good things to say about his cache location. I think he appreciated that we both appreciated the beauty of "the spot". In closing, at this point in my geocaching "career" I intend to comment at least a little on every find or non find. Once I hide my first cache I think I will enjoy/appreciate comments about my cache site choice good or bad. I may not neccessily expect it but comments would be more than welcome. As far as e-mailing every finder of ones cache I would think as others have said do whatever you feel. Once I hide my first I plan to e-mail every finder, especially the ones that leave good comments (or bad) on the log.

Edited by Team Talley

I did at first but later on I got turned off by the self-congratulatory nature of many of the first finders' logs. Everyone needs an occasional pat on the back but stroking yourself ad nauseum in a FTF log with "yay me, I am the greatest" like you've just cured cancer all by yourself? I've noticed that the content of some of these same people's ordinary logs is mostly me, me, me. Nothing about being appreciative of the cache or the effort that went into placing it.

I did at first but later on I got turned off by the self-congratulatory nature of many of the first finders' logs. Everyone needs an occasional pat on the back but stroking yourself ad nauseum in a FTF log with "yay me, I am the greatest" like you've just cured cancer all by yourself? I've noticed that the content of some of these same people's ordinary logs is mostly me, me, me. Nothing about being appreciative of the cache or the effort that went into placing it.

Preach it brother :huh:

We always rush tight out as soon as we get notification of the FTF, and check the log to verify. We also make sure they re-hid properly, didn't disturb anything. Any time we find a discrepancy of any sort,or even a hint of one, we delete the found log and then refuse to respond to their emails.

If they leave a log like "TFTF" or similar, we delete it and notify Miss Jenn.

I try to send an E-Mail to them. I think it might encourage them to hide caches. I have always said treat others the way you expect to be treated. I always- well not Always try to edit the cache page itself to reflect FTF's. This is somewhat of a reward for the FTFer. I don't always put a prize for the FTF in the container and this may offer a bit of a consulation prize! But really to each his own. I personaly like the idea of finding $100.00 bills as a FTF instead of an E-Mail!

:rolleyes: I think I will have to put this sort of thing in my FTF logs now:

"Another FTF for Six Little Spookies who also cured cancer while finding your cache! I'm planning on fixing the economy with my next FTF, so keep 'em coming!" :unsure:

I used to respond to every person who found one of my caches, with just a "Hey, with all the great caches out there I appreciate you taking the time to hunt for one of mine." type note. I don't bother now unless I read something in their log that particularly amuses me.

Usually, I'll put a "Congradulations to (the cacher's name/nic) for FTF!" in bold letter on the cache page.

Do you spell their name right?

:D:D:D:(:)

Sorry, I could not resist.

That's what happens when you let the browser suggest the correct spelling. Hey,,, it was underlined... :D

In all of my later caches I put a small laminated FTF card with the name of the cache and my nic.... hopefully someone will be pleased

I usually post a congrats to the finder on the cache page. Will send an email if it happens to be somone's first FTF which happened recently. I will contact if something interesting is said or a question asked or if one of my caches is a first find for a new cacher, that happened today. :(

The finders I tend to send notes to are the ones who log DNFs and then log their happy Found It when they have success. I appreciate the fact that they found my cache worthy of more than one visit and that they took the time to log their experiences.

Woo hoo FTF logs by the local hounds certainly don't get an email from me. Unless of course they go hunting the cache at times they shouldn't, as stated on the cache page. No congrats to folks who can't manage to play by whatever rules might be set by the cache owner or the land manager.

:ph34r: Yes, by all means, please fix the economy right away.... especially the stock market. My mutual funds are sucking air big time. And while you're at it my saving could use some help so I'd appreciate it if you'd raise the interest rates but keep housing prices down low. I know this is a lot to ask but if you do this for me I will name my next cache after you to show my appreciation. Thanks! :)

OK, :) what's a cache lottery. It sounds interesting.

Check the write-up at GC1MTPC.

For those who can't see the page, instead of a prize for FTF, the prize is for one of the first x finders (five in this case) to log the cache, names drawn from a hat lottery-style. Future ones will involve first ten answers to a riddle in the container, etc.