TOPO map question

I am probably missing something simple but...

I have a Garmin 60 csx. I am a premium member. I installed the topo maps on my computer. I believe I transferred them to my GPS, however I get the cache sites but the maps do not look like topo maps on my gps.

Any ideas?

On mine, I have City Navigator and Topo US. The topo is under the City Nav. I need to uncheck the appropriate City Nav map in order to see the topo underneath.

You have both maps on the card? I was hoping to be able to do this w/ two different maps I've got in mapsource. How do you put both on the card? I have a 4gb card and when I put one on it seems to overwrite the other one...what am I doing wrong?

On mine, I have City Navigator and Topo US. The topo is under the City Nav. I need to uncheck the appropriate City Nav map in order to see the topo underneath.

You have both maps on the card? I was hoping to be able to do this w/ two different maps I've got in mapsource. How do you put both on the card? I have a 4gb card and when I put one on it seems to overwrite the other one...what am I doing wrong?

After you get one map installed, go to the install location and rename it (I have mine named citynav2009.img and topo2008.img). Then you can install the next map. You can keep renaming and installing until you run out of space on the card.

After you get one map installed, go to the install location and rename it (I have mine named citynav2009.img and topo2008.img). Then you can install the next map. You can keep renaming and installing until you run out of space on the card.

Are you talking about while you have it hooked up to the computer or rename it in mapsource? Sorry, I'm usually pretty savvy about this - but just can't figure it out...thanks!

Ignore the recommendation about renaming maps. That's not the correct way to do it.

You can only install one mapset to your GPS. When you install, it will wipe out any previous mapset. However, a mapset can span multiple map products. So open up MapSource, and select the map product you want (such as Topo). Use the segment-select tool to select the maps segments you want to install. You should see them listed on the left (you may have to click on the Maps tab). Now switch to a different map product, such as City Navigator. You can now select additional map segments to the added to the mapset. Don't go over the maximum that your card/unit can handle. Your 60CSx will only handled up to 2GB. It doesn't matter if you have a bigger card that that. 2GB is all you'll be able to load. Don't take to the max. You want to leave some memory for tracks and POIs. When done, select the option to download the mapset you've created to your unit or card.

If you have a card reader, use that, rather than plugging in to the unit. The unit's USB connection is slow, compared to a USB2.0 card reader.

Edited by Prime Suspect

Ignore the recommendation about renaming maps. That's not the correct way to do it.

You can only install one mapset to your GPS. When you install, it will wipe out any previous mapset. However, a mapset can span multiple map products. So open up MapSource, and select the map product you want (such as Topo). Use the segment-select tool to select the maps segments you want to install. You should see them listed on the left (you may have to click on the Maps tab). Now switch to a different map product, such as City Navigator. You can now select additional map segments to the added to the mapset. Do go over the maximium that your card/unit can handle. Your 60CSx will only handled up to 2GB. It doesn't matter if you have a bigger card that that. 2GB is all you'll be able to load. Don't take to the max. You want to leave some memory for tracks and POIs. When done, select the option to download the mapset you've created to your unit or card.

If you have a card reader, use that, rather than plugging in to the unit. The unit's USB connection is slow, compared to a USB2.0 card reader.

Awesome, will this allow me to overlay map sets? For instance, I have a mapset that is an AWESOME topo map for my area but it doesn't have the streets in a city I frequent often, could I have my GPS viewing both of those at the same time?

Thanks again!

You can only install one mapset to your GPS. When you install, it will wipe out any previous mapset. However, a mapset can span multiple map products. So open up MapSource, and select the map product you want (such as Topo). Use the segment-select tool to select the maps segments you want to install. You should see them listed on the left (you may have to click on the Maps tab). Now switch to a different map product, such as City Navigator. You can now select additional map segments to the added to the mapset. Don't go over the maximum that your card/unit can handle. Your 60CSx will only handled up to 2GB. It doesn't matter if you have a bigger card that that. 2GB is all you'll be able to load. Don't take to the max. You want to leave some memory for tracks and POIs. When done, select the option to download the mapset you've created to your unit or card.

I still don't understand this. I opened up mapsource, found where you can select either topo or trip or waypoint manager. But as far as how to install it, I'm lost. There is a tab that says I can transfer to my GPS, which I have done, but it's still not there. Or at least I can't find it.

Why would I need to use a USB card to transfer it from my computer to the GPS? I guess this is all way over my head.

Also, I had read something about unlocking the maps. I don't have any unlock code.

The US Topo maps don't use unlock codes.

Did you select the map tiles in MapSource that you want to send to the GPS unit?

Did you get a message that they were being compiled and then sent to the GPS unit?

If they were sent, you need to go to the Map Setup screen and be sure that the maps are selected on the unit.

Perhaps this will help: From the map display > Menu > Map Setup - Information > Menu (use Show / Hide)

If you don't see your maps on this page, then you haven't installed them to your 60CSx.

MapSetup.gif

an image from another site

That did the trick for my problem. Im able to hide the map that doesn't give me the streets when I'm in the town I don't have on my good topo map, then just switch the topo back on when I'm out of that area again.

Thanks! Just wish there was a way to overlay both maps in that area so I could have the topo map w/ the streets from the other one...it seems to just use the topo when I have both selected...am I doing something wrong or is that just how it is?

I still don't understand this. I opened up mapsource, found where you can select either topo or trip or waypoint manager. But as far as how to install it, I'm lost. There is a tab that says I can transfer to my GPS, which I have done, but it's still not there. Or at least I can't find it.

Why would I need to use a USB card to transfer it from my computer to the GPS? I guess this is all way over my head.

Also, I had read something about unlocking the maps. I don't have any unlock code.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-...armin-gps-unit/

There are also lots of really nice and free Garmin topo maps there

Edited by myotis

Perhaps this will help: From the map display > Menu > Map Setup - Information > Menu (use Show / Hide)

If you don't see your maps on this page, then you haven't installed them to your 60CSx.

MapSetup.gif

an image from another site

That did the trick for my problem. Im able to hide the map that doesn't give me the streets when I'm in the town I don't have on my good topo map, then just switch the topo back on when I'm out of that area again.

Thanks! Just wish there was a way to overlay both maps in that area so I could have the topo map w/ the streets from the other one...it seems to just use the topo when I have both selected...am I doing something wrong or is that just how it is?

It depends on the map, some maps are transparent overlays. They will dipay on top of other maps. If you have both maps selected and you only see one map showing on the GPS it is not transprent.

I think that's your problem. You didn't insert the memory card that came with your unit into the GPS. If you don't remember inserting a tiny card, about the size of your thumb-nail, into a little compartment behind the batteries, then you need to do that.

Thanks "PRIME SUSPECT"...I believe my SD card is installed. At least I know it in the GPS, as I went looking for it when I got the new unit. it is behind the battery compartment. Is there anything I needed to do besides making sure it was there?

MYOTIS

Thanks also for your help. Exactly how do I use "show-hide" on the menu setup page. I found the menu set up page, and saw an area where got the maps. There is a checkmark by "bainbridge" but I don't see any topo maps behind it and I don't know what to do from there.

I know I must be doing something stupid wrong,but can't figure it out. Any more suggestions?