Will a gps with an electric compas get me closer to a cache?

Brassine Family

I currently have a Garmin etrex venture hc. there are several caches I have searched for that have been in heavily wooded areas with a lot of fallen trees. according to my gps, I have gotten within 40-50 feet of the cache but then I have to take slow steps over or around fallen trees and stop etc, so there for obviously the gps goes bonkers.

If I upgrade to a gpsr that is equipped with an electric compass, depending on the conditions etc, would I have a better chance of getting closer to the cache enough for my "geo senses" to kick in?

Most of my DNF caches are roughly 1/4-1/2mile into a wooded area/forest.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

My Magellan Explorist has an electronic compass, when I get close to the cache I switch to compass mode, it tells am which direction to go, as well as a count down in Feet or meters to the cache, I usually get with in 1-7 feet of Ground zero,

it is a definite help to me

Coman123

I've tried them, I really have but frankly I have little or no use for an electronic compass in my GPS unit. In many cases, it was just too jittery as I closed in that it had me doing the drunken bee dance. They require frequent calibration and are thrown off too easily. Having said that - I know many cachers just would not attempt a cache without one.

I use the Garmin 60CSx and once I found out about using the compass I fell in love with it. Just remember to calibrate it every time you use it.

I use mine while I am driving and hiking to the Cache, when I get to approx. GZ I use the map page, start the DBD.

I find it much easier to see when moving than the little black triangle.

I've tried them, I really have but frankly I have little or no use for an electronic compass in my GPS unit. In many cases, it was just too jittery as I closed in that it had me doing the drunken bee dance. They require frequent calibration and are thrown off too easily. Having said that - I know many cachers just would not attempt a cache without one.

I'm guessing you really mean the navigation arrow was too jittery. There's no reason the compass would get "jittery" as you got close. It's just a compass, not a divining rod. It works pretty much the same no matter where you are (excluding the poles, of course). The navigation arrow's jittery-ness is just a graphic display of the GPS error that you're experiencing, regardless of whether or not you have an electronic compass. The navigation arrow movement is based on the changing bearing readings, which is solely a GPS function, as opposed to a compass function.

I dont think it's the compass that makes a difference, it's the sensitivity of the particular unit. I had an eTrex Legend that was fairly unreliable under heavy tree cover and sometimes it had problems under very heavy cloud cover. (I only realized this once I saw how much easier it was for other cachers in the same conditions). After finding 500 caches with my Legend I upgraded to a Garmin 60CSX and it made a huge difference.

I cache with the electronic compass switched off. I found it annoying to have to calibrate it so often. I still use the arrow to point me in the right direction but I make sure I'm moving so that it knows which way I'm heading.

Save yourself the money and learn to deal with the limitations of your unit. When I had a unit that didn't have an electronic compass, when I had slowed down too much for it to work, I'd back up 50-100 steps and approach the area again at a good pace.

One of the very few times I disagree with briansnat. I generally don't use my electronic compass. But, when I am near a cache in rough terrain and/or bad reception, I can turn it on and do a quick calibration. Try that backup and quick pace re-approach on a 45 degree hill full of rocks and fallen trees. Good luck. An electronic compass is a tool. It has limitations, but will be well worth the money in some situations. The rest of the time just leave it off.

P.S. This is a never ending debate, and I doubt anyone that has ever formed a strong opinion about this has ever been persuaded to change their mind. So, make up your mind now, one way or the other. And then keep a death grip on that conviction.

An electronic compass "might" help you get to the lat/long coordinates published for the cache. That's not the same as getting to and finding the cache. At the end of the day, this isn't a game that is about navigating to a set of coordinates. It's a game about finding geocaches. Use your GPSr to get you close, then use your brain to find the cache.

An electronic compass "might" help you get to the lat/long coordinates published for the cache. That's not the same as getting to and finding the cache. At the end of the day, this isn't a game that is about navigating to a set of coordinates. It's a game about finding geocaches. Use your GPSr to get you close, then use your brain to find the cache.

For some the game involves both features. :)

My understanding is that the compass assists the gps in knowing where you are in relation to the waypoint when you have slowed down too much for the gps to determine that itself from satellite readings. It helps keep the arrow pointed in the general direction the gps wants you to go.

It does nothing for the gps's accuracy. A 50ft radius is going to stay a 50ft radius.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Having never used one I can say I am strongly convinced that it is not a necesary tool to enjoy the game. I did my first 15 caches with just Google maps and triangulating based upon landmarks i could see from aerial map. it was tough, but it was a blast. the expolrist 400 i got on the cheap has proven great, I dont have the slghtest idea what everyone is complaining about in regards to the software.