Would you notice if someone was avoiding your caches?

When a cacher has personal problems with another player, the common advice is for them to ignore that person and not look for any caches they hide. If you were being ignored in such a manner, would you notice? Assuming that the cacher didn't leave logs like "Found them all in this area EXCEPT FOR THOSE LAME CACHES BY THAT ONE PERSON WHO SUCKS" or stick all my caches on a public bookmark list titled "Caches I'm ignoring because the person who hides them is totally nuts," I don't think I would notice. You'd have to notice them finding all the other caches in the area except yours, and back when I lived in a cache-dense area I never paid that much attention to caches I'd already found unless I had some particular reason to. I never monitored logs on other caches closely enough that I would have noticed anyone finding all the other caches but not mine. How about you? Think you would pick up on a snub?

Most likely not but...

I would rather be snubbed by someone who thinks my caches are lame, than be visited by the same person who might do something to my hide because they don't like my style.

On the other hand...

If I did pick up on it, my curiosity would make me seek out their hides. Not to do anything wrong or evil to them, but rather claim to the smiley and see if they delete my entry for whatever reason.

Would I notice on my caches? Probably not. Nor would I care.

There's a hider of 10 or so parking lot micros from my town, all the caches within 5 miles of my home coords. I'm pretty sure he has noticed me ignoring them. And I'm sure neither of us care there either. <_<

I'm not ignoring anything, just finding the stuff that I like. Easy.

If I were ignoring certain caches by certain cachers, the purpose wouldn't be for them to notice it, just for me to find the caches that are fun for me.

Most everyone does avoid my caches, so it's more a case of knowing the few that might find 'em. I've got a new cache out 2 weeks that's still waiting on FTF. 4 caches with no finds in a year, and 4 with no finds in 2 years.

'm not reading anything personal into the almost universal Not Finding on my caches. Most folks aren't into longer walks or multi-caches. I am.

Sure I've noticed some conspicuous absences in the logs on my caches. Does it bother me? No, it's their choice, and if they would have enjoyed the spots I feature with my cache hides, it's their loss.

I would say the same thing about myself and the spots I miss visiting because of ignoring a style of cache or hides by a particular geocacher. I don't make any effort to advertise which caches or cachers I'm ignoring, as it's not done as a public protest. Still, I know that geocachers have noticed certain patterns regarding the caches that I find and that I skip, and have drawn conclusions from that.

Sure I've noticed some conspicuous absences in the logs on my caches

Those holes in logs may not mean what you think

Just because I'm not logging them, it doesn't mean i wasn't there. I'm mainly in it for the <3 hamsters. Smileys are strictly secondary.

I learned the take something, leave no log technique from briansnat. Really.

When you're taking the ammo can and leaving gladware, it's really better to just not log at all. It's not personal.

When a cacher has personal problems with another player, the common advice is for them to ignore that person and not look for any caches they hide. If you were being ignored in such a manner, would you notice? Assuming that the cacher didn't leave logs like "Found them all in this area EXCEPT FOR THOSE LAME CACHES BY THAT ONE PERSON WHO SUCKS" or stick all my caches on a public bookmark list titled "Caches I'm ignoring because the person who hides them is totally nuts," I don't think I would notice. You'd have to notice them finding all the other caches in the area except yours, and back when I lived in a cache-dense area I never paid that much attention to caches I'd already found unless I had some particular reason to. I never monitored logs on other caches closely enough that I would have noticed anyone finding all the other caches but not mine. How about you? Think you would pick up on a snub?

Wouldn't notice (and really wouldn't care)..

I wouldn't notice.

Or care.

~*

I wouldn't care either.

The people that I want to find my caches find my caches. And they leave great logs.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

It would be interesting as a cache owner to know how many people are ignoring your caches provided they remain anonymous. I'm fairly confident that some of my hard puzzle caches are ignored. <_<

for the most part i wouldn't notice or care.

the one time i noticed, it was pretty hard to miss.

the local group was having an event and this one cacher made a big fuss that she wasn't coming because she had plans.

...which were to go to the town where the event was (not close to where she lived) and find all of the caches not related to the event and write pointy litttle logs about it later.

nobody really cared, but it gave everybody one MORE reason to laugh at her.

other side of the coin, there have been some cache owners who think i'm ignoring them and their caches and wonder why, except i'm not ignoring them. i just haven't been there yet.

and then there was this one cacher i really WAS ignoring who recently sent me a friendly email saying she was sorry she always seemed to miss meeting me at events and that she hoped to meet me soon. all i'm saying about that is that it's hard to meet someone who knows who you are and deliberately puts a big distance between the two of you.

so in that case i'd have to say she was completely unaware that i was ignoring her.

... If you were being ignored... would you notice?

Assuming that the cacher didn't leave logs like "Found them all in this area EXCEPT FOR THOSE LAME CACHES BY THAT ONE PERSON WHO SUCKS" or stick all my caches on a public bookmark list titled "Caches I'm ignoring because the person who hides them is totally nuts,"...

If someone was realy and truly ignoring my caches there is no way I'd know. It's only when they take time to not ingore me and get in my grill to tell me so that I'd notice. Then I'd probably just smile. After all they are doing me a favor by not finding my cache. Plus the active effort to ingnore me is one of those irony's that I enjoy in life.

If they kept it up, I'd probably place a cache in their honor that plays on their efforts to ignore the cache.

There are a few CO's I avoid in our area, either because they are buttheads, or because they don't make an effort to check their caches when there are a lot of DNFs or its reported as missing. They always assume the cache is still there because they believe their hiding skills are better than everyone's finding skills.

Other caches I don't necessarily avoid, but since we have an abundance of LPC's and other lame Bison-tube-in-a-bush in our area, I won't make a special effort to find them unless its rainy and cold and I have nothing else to do (ie sock drawer already sorted, toe-jams already picked out). At minimum I try to keep a 2-mile swath cleared around the casa, and the rest I will get to eventually.

FYI -- the Wal-Mart parking lot is not scenic.

Wouldn't notice, but I think you all might be missing the real point in asking.

If your intent is to make hides that people WANT to find, this question wouldn't be asked in the first place.

This is my intent. I want fellow cachers to read the logs or hear about my hides and say to themselves, "That sounds interesting, let's go find that one."

I only have 5 hides, my 5th just got published yesterday. It's my first Mystery Cache, a Tree Maze Night Cache. The first to finds (a couple) were thrilled and their logs show it.

Most everyone does avoid my caches, so it's more a case of knowing the few that might find 'em. I've got a new cache out 2 weeks that's still waiting on FTF. 4 caches with no finds in a year, and 4 with no finds in 2 years.

'm not reading anything personal into the almost universal Not Finding on my caches. Most folks aren't into longer walks or multi-caches. I am.

I'd find yours if ya lived up here in the "south Georgia" part Florida but you place 'em too far away from us <_<

Would I notice if someone was avoiding are caches? I wouldn't know unless then told me and then I'd care so little that I'd probably forget they told me by the next day :lol: What were we talking about?????

Gosh, there are so many cachers around here, I'd be willing to bet I know the IDs of probably one percent of them. Conversely, approximately that same one percent know my ID. It follows that neither of us would notice the presence or absence of a particular ID on a log.

I'm sure there are folks who ignore my caches. I also ignore some folks' caches. It's nothing personal at all. We just enjoy different styles of hides.

Edited so I wouldn't yell at myself for poor typing skills.

Edited by ladyleo191

... If you were being ignored... would you notice?

Assuming that the cacher didn't leave logs like "Found them all in this area EXCEPT FOR THOSE LAME CACHES BY THAT ONE PERSON WHO SUCKS" or stick all my caches on a public bookmark list titled "Caches I'm ignoring because the person who hides them is totally nuts,"...

If someone was really and truly ignoring my caches there is no way I'd know. It's only when they take time to not ignore me and get in my grill to tell me so that I'd notice. Then I'd probably just smile. After all they are doing me a favor by not finding my cache. Plus the active effort to ignore me is one of those irony's that I enjoy in life.

If they kept it up, I'd probably place a cache in their honor that plays on their efforts to ignore the cache.

My thoughts exactly.

Hmmm, it seems as if Renegade Knight is ignoring my hides... :)

I'm not reading anything personal into the almost universal Not Finding on my caches. Most folks aren't into longer walks or multi-caches. I am.

Agreed.

There's commonly other kinds of caches that are ignored besides lame urban micros. Hard puzzle caches come to mind. Top of the list might be the caches I prefer to hide involving a few miles of walking to a scenic location. Seems that more Americans would just assume leave those trails alone. Same goes with the majority of cachers. That doesn't mean I'll stop hiding them because the few logs that do come back to me are always positive.

I like a good multi, if it doesn't require a calculator, sextant and night-vision googles to complete, especially if it has a good twist at the end.

One local one takes you through a beautiful park, with the final being at a well-hidden *something* that is totally out of place. Despite being scuffed up and dirty, I chuckled all the way back to the main trail. It was like being the butt of a good joke.

We live in the boonies where there's maybe a dozen cachers. Believe me, we notice the snub but we love the snub ! The snub proves that the snubber is intimidated by you for some reason.

We have one snubber in particular who thinks he's a hard a** so here's what we did....We placed an evil micro hide 600' from the back door of his place of business !!

One good snub deserves another !!!

I'm not particularly tied to the members of the local community. I've never attended an event and I've only met a few cachers on the trails. I don't think I could possibly know whether someone is ignoring my caches. It would take some high octane paranoia for me to even suspect my caches are being ignored.

But my forums posts are another matter entirely. I KNOW you people are ignoring me. C'mon, you know who you are!!! Now STOP it! :blink:

:anitongue:

Edited by Trinity's Crew

There is one in our area that I am starting to ignore. He just started and has been going around bragging that he is the best and most dedicated cacher out there. He said that at an event and I thought everone there was gonna drag him outside and beat him. The first couple of caches he put out were ok. But now they are turning lame. He puts out one at least once a week anymore and they are so lame that I can find them without leaving the house.

As for others ignoring my caches, if they are they are. I would not notice and it would not bother me.

I know that some users are ignoring my cache placements and I think that is good. I also get to choose which caches I seek or not. I still seek some of their caches (depending on type and placement) and log my finds as "Thanks for the hide" . I know that I don't play well with others, and I did not start geocacheing to make new friends but I don't have to act like a geojerk because someone don't like me.

It would be easy to notice around here as there are so very few of us running around.

It however would not bother me.

We're in an area where there are only a couple dozen cachers and I still think you would have to be really OC or very insecure to even notice or care.

I can't really say we'd notice, but like you I can say we wouldn't care.