Best GPS for me?

I want to buy a GPS system for geocaching and just general traveling. I would like something that has USB connectivity and can be used for traveling roads too. What do yall recommend? I was leaning towards the Garmin eTrex, but am having a hard time figuring out which one.

Thanks,

Edited by wilonpill

What's your price range? For mostly geocaching and turn by turn navigation it's going to be hard to beat an garmin oregon. You might also look at the Garmin nuvi 500/550. Doesn't have a great handheld form factor but does a better job of street navigation than the handhelds. Just remember with the oregon you'll have to drop another $80 or so for the street maps (city navigator 2009)

My price range is about as cheap as I can go and still be able to Geocache and do turn by turn directions. I still need a handheld with USB support, though.

I can spend what it takes to get the job done, but I don't want to spend more than I need to, but the 300$ for an Oregon is way out of my range. 200$ tops, preferably lower.

The Garmin eTrex Legend HCx looks like my best bet. It will take SD cards, which is just as good as USB connectivity if you ask me, and has turn by turn directions. I assume I will need to buy the maps right? What a scam that is <_<

I suggest you also consider the DeLorme PN-20, currently being sold for $139.99 w/free shipping from amazon.com. IMO it's the best overall value when comparing features in that price range, considering free street level and topo maps included on DVDs, $100 worth of downloads included, and DeLorme offers an annual subscription for unlimited downloads for $30/year!

Edited by bdev

The Garmin eTrex Legend HCx looks like my best bet. It will take SD cards, which is just as good as USB connectivity if you ask me, and has turn by turn directions. I assume I will need to buy the maps right? What a scam that is <_<

I have the eTrex Legend HCx and I would recommend it wholeheartedly! For the price you can't beat it and it has never....NEVER....let me down as far as getting me to GZ. I on the other hand can't see pine tree in a field at times, but the HCx hasn't failed. It does tend to bounce signal under dense tree cover, but then what GPS without an external antenna doesn't (and even some that do). If you get a signal bounce you just walk in a circle and it'll get you right back on track. I am very pleased with it in geocaching.

As far as turn by turn...it works, but remember you are looking at a tiny screen in a car and any handheld GPS is going to present a challenge when trying to watch

Edited by TEAM HARTSOCK

I suggest you also consider the DeLorme PN-20, currently being sold for $139.99 w/free shipping from amazon.com. IMO it's the best overall value when comparing features in that price range, considering free street level and topo maps included on DVDs, $100 worth of downloads included, and DeLorme offers an annual subscription for unlimited downloads for $30/year!

But from eveything I've read the Pn-20 is very bad at street level turn-by-turn directions, which is one of the 2 things he wanted most.

But from eveything I've read the Pn-20 is very bad at street level turn-by-turn directions, which is one of the 2 things he wanted most.

The PN-20 is slow for routing in a car, the map re-draws are the problem. Also, for calculating a route, it would likely be slow. If the routing is a must, I'd probably not take the PN-20! The PN-40 is another thing altogether, but the price is at $320 or so (with all the maps you'll need for routing and such). The PN-40 isn't the best for routing, but it sure gets me where I want to go! I think the PN-40 sounds like it's out of your price range though.

The PN-20 is slow for routing in a car, the map re-draws are the problem. Also, for calculating a route, it would likely be slow. If the routing is a must, I'd probably not take the PN-20! The PN-40 is another thing altogether, but the price is at $320 or so (with all the maps you'll need for routing and such). The PN-40 isn't the best for routing, but it sure gets me where I want to go! I think the PN-40 sounds like it's out of your price range though.

Note that if one is not going out on a 911 call, road routing can be accomplished with the bundled Topo USA 7.0 mapping application and transferred to the PN-20.

Additonally, the PN-20 provides true paperless geocaching right out of the box, with nothing else to buy (Palm Pilot PDA).

Note that if one is not going out on a 911 call, road routing can be accomplished with the bundled Topo USA 7.0 mapping application and transferred to the PN-20.

Really, that's your argument for the pn-20. Only 911 responders really need turn-by-turn directions without the use of a pc.

I wasn't practicing my Spanish, if you read English, try again.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

Really, that's your argument for the pn-20. Only 911 responders really need turn-by-turn directions without the use of a pc.

Is this going to be like dealing with myotis? One who rephrases the comments of others to mischaracterize them?

Next are you going to accuse me of lying as myotis did here?

Noted here in Post #76:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...15010&st=50

Nor does listening to beta testers that do not give the whole truth.

See, the problem here is that if I've been successful of lying by omission, that is, not telling the whole truth, how does myotis know that?

It's a contradiction it terms.

Falsely accusing me of lying is one of two things, a mistake out of ignorance or a malicious lie in itself.

Ahhh... I feel as if I'm being fought over <_<

I guess the best option would be to try them out for yourselves. I don't know about Garmin, but DeLorme has a 30 day guarantee in which you can return the unit for a full refund. Or better yet, perhaps you know or live nearby some cachers that own the models you're interested in. I'm sure they would be happy to tell you their thoughts or even let you give each model a try so that you could form your own conclusion. There is no perfect GPSr for everyone. It will ultimately depend on the features and functionality that you consider most important to yourself. It's great that you are trying to make an informed decision before investing your hard earned money. Good luck with your decision and let us know what you ulitimately decide on. (Watch him buy a new Lowrance or Bushnell model instead! LOL) j/k :lol:

On a side note, I learned a while back not to butt heads with Team CowboyPapa. He's way smarter than me, just ask him! No seriously though, IMO he's a very intelligent person that has extensive experience with DeLorme products. As I believe he is part of Team Serious, DeLorme's beta testers, there are times when, due to NDAs, he cannot give out a lot of information about things that are in development. However, I have never known him to lie about anything in these forums.

Edited by bdev

Is this going to be like dealing with myotis? One who rephrases the comments of others to mischaracterize them?

Next are you going to accuse me of lying as myotis did here?

Noted here in Post #76:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...15010&st=50

Nor does listening to beta testers that do not give the whole truth.

See, the problem here is that if I've been successful of lying by omission, that is, not telling the whole truth, how does myotis know that?

It's a contradiction it terms.

Falsely accusing me of lying is one of two things, a mistake out of ignorance or a malicious lie in itself.

Then enlighten me. What I took from your post is that you can easily make routes on the PC that can be used with the pn-20 on the road. My response was that most people, even those not involved with 911 services, prefer to use the interface of the GPS without the PC.

I don't know why you would bring in another post in which I have no involvement. Please don't try to associate me with something that doesn't involve me at all.

Bdev does make a good point about trying the units out yourself. Since you won't be buying immediately see if you can get your hands on the units and see how they work. Maybe you can live with the shortcomings of the pn-20 on the driving side in favor of the paperless caching. Maybe you can live with the paperless shortcomings of the etrex in favor of the better driving utility.

I don't know why you would bring in another post in which I have no involvement. Please don't try to associate me with something that doesn't involve me at all.

Apologies extended.

Furthermore, I regret that the OP, wilonpill, gets all wrapped up in the usual my Ford is better than your Chevy wrangling. At the OP's pleasure, I would be happy to answer and further question regarding the performance characteristics via a PM. Note that such response on my part would be reflective of my actual hands-on, in the field usage.

For example, of you want to know if there are audible warnings, beeps or buzzes and how far before the turn, I can answer that.

As I believe he is part of Team Serious, DeLorme's beta testers, there are times when, due to NDAs, he cannot give out a lot of information about things that are in development. However, I have never known him to lie about anything in these forums.

Copy that, bdev. I appreciate the appreciation.

I endorse the recommendation that both you and sanramonhunter made regarding the hands-on, side-by-side test and maybe a place like REI would accommodate that.

But let me expand on the OP's reference to my Jeep. As it does have a factory installed, in-dash NAV/GPS with a large screen and voice guidance, I do feel qualified to pass comparative judgements on handhelds. And the envelope please? There really is no comparison.

Actually, I went up and back recently for 800 miles using the road routing on my PN-40 just as a side-by-side. And I've done shorter runs with my -20 and another tonight with my -40. If I had nothing else the PNs are certainly better than nothing, and if I felt the occasional need, perhaps monthly, buying a windshield mounted, Tom Tom type might be a stretch.

To expand on my previous 911 comment, I do not look at my handheld when I'm going down the interstate at 70mph. Yes, if I did need regular road routing and had only a handheld, I would get the windshield mounted, Tom Tom type in the largest screen size available, which is 5.3" diagonal, IIRC.