flash Mob?

fairyhoney

Ah, come on guys, I am a VERY unorganized person - Yo would nOT want me to put one on.

Hmmm . . . it seems that you could be describing me! But I put one on . . . I bet you could handle a measly little 15 minute event!

Even so, I'd be happy to to put one on over the the Spring Fling neck of the woods BUT . . . I'd need somebody to do certain location work for me . . . find one, get land manager permission, and make sure it can handle the number of cachers that are likely to appear on Spring Fling day. Any takers? :)

Ah, come on guys, I am a VERY unorganized person - Yo would nOT want me to put one on.

Hmmm . . . it seems that you could be describing me! But I put one on . . . I bet you could handle a measly little 15 minute event!

Even so, I'd be happy to to put one on over the the Spring Fling neck of the woods BUT . . . I'd need somebody to do certain location work for me . . . find one, get land manager permission, and make sure it can handle the number of cachers that are likely to appear on Spring Fling day. Any takers? :)

I'd need somebody to do certain location work for me . . . find one, get land manager permission, and make sure it can handle the number of cachers that are likely to appear on Spring Fling day. Any takers?

I think we can handle it!

So, who's putting it on?

Ah, come on guys, I am a VERY unorganized person - Yo would nOT want me to put one on . However, would be willing to help as long as it isn't too far north :D .

So. isn't there a set day each year or something :D ?

Not it!

May 2nd is the date. More info at The Podcachers Forum

HEY what do you know - It's the same day as Spring Fling :) - AGAIN :D:D:D

And CITO.

So, who's hanging around after the Spring Fling to help clean up...

Or should we post an event to get people to do so...

Edited by The Jester

Ah, come on guys, I am a VERY unorganized person - Yo would nOT want me to put one on . However, would be willing to help as long as it isn't too far north :D .

So. isn't there a set day each year or something :D ?

Not it!

And CITO.

So, who's hanging around after the Spring Fling to help clean up...

Or should we post an event to get people to do so...

The Flash Mob would be Before the Spring Fling :D

Things always work themslves out - Thank Goodness. :D

Not it!

And CITO.

I admit I'm way late bringing this up because I haven't been paying attention to Spring Fling, but it sure makes it harder to say "We give back to the parks because of our CITO efforts" when we undermine those efforts by scheduling conflicting events on the official CITO weekend. Not only do they draw people away from attending CITO events, but they also discourage people from hosting them because of concern that the conflict will result in poor attendance. There are 51 other weekends to hold non-CITO events, and now Flash Mobs want to draw people away from CITO events too? I find this very disappointing.

It looks to me that a CITO weekend consists of two days, Saturday and Sunday. Spring Fling and the Flash Mobs are both set for Saturday. That still leaves Sunday for a CITO event. I'm hard pressed to believe that there is a move afoot to undermine the weekend's CITO efforts. Frankly, Spring Fling was on my horizon before my knowledge of an official May 2nd & 3rd CITO weekend. And I had always thought an official CITO day (weekend?) for geocachers was in April. But no matter when it is, there will often be conflicts, probably not deliberate.

But none of this should stop anybody from a CITO event either that weekend or any other weekend of the year. I held one last September. The weather was lousy and it conflicted with a cache machine. But that still didn't stop over 30 cachers from CITOing one of the worst WDFW sites in the region for two hours in the rain, gathering nearly 1/2 ton of garbage, and standing around, still in the rain, afterwards to gab.

I never meant to imply that the scheduling conflicts are intentional, only that for the greater good the day(s) officially dedicated to CITO should be scrupulously avoided for other events. Of course undermining the CITO effort isn't the purpose behind any conflicting events, but it is a result. The reality is that you can't be in two places at once and you'll never know how many people chose not to host a CITO event because of the conflict.

It looks to me that a CITO weekend consists of two days, Saturday and Sunday. Spring Fling and the Flash Mobs are both set for Saturday. That still leaves Sunday for a CITO event. I'm hard pressed to believe that there is a move afoot to undermine the weekend's CITO efforts. Frankly, Spring Fling was on my horizon before my knowledge of an official May 2nd & 3rd CITO weekend. And I had always thought an official CITO day (weekend?) for geocachers was in April. But no matter when it is, there will often be conflicts, probably not deliberate.

But none of this should stop anybody from a CITO event either that weekend or any other weekend of the year. I held one last September. The weather was lousy and it conflicted with a cache machine. But that still didn't stop over 30 cachers from CITOing one of the worst WDFW sites in the region for two hours in the rain, gathering nearly 1/2 ton of garbage, and standing around, still in the rain, afterwards to gab.

What the Purple Fluted One said. :) I've already scheduled my Cougar Mountain CITO for Saturday, May 2, and folks are signing up. In a previous year, I attended a CITO in the morning (one of Prying Pandora's) and the Spring Fling in the afternoon (as did a few others), so it wasn't really a conflict, at least for us.

And, as PFO points out, there's also Sunday, with no Fling or WWFM to conflict with CITO events. I hope a Kitsap cacher will choose to host a CITO on May 3, so a park in their area will get a cleanup that weekend and dispel any concerns about the overlapping events.

Finally, to give Shop99er and crew the benefit of the doubt, I read his date issues in the Fling thread and sounds like he had conflicts no matter what date he chose, and he needed to make a decision that took into account the schedules of his large crew (40 people, wow!) and reserve a venue early so he could get one big enough to support the throngs that flock to the Fling. Sorry I'll miss it!

Edited by hydnsek

I admit I'm way late bringing this up because I haven't been paying attention to Spring Fling, but it sure makes it harder to say "We give back to the parks because of our CITO efforts" when we undermine those efforts by scheduling conflicting events on the official CITO weekend. Not only do they draw people away from attending CITO events, but they also discourage people from hosting them because of concern that the conflict will result in poor attendance. There are 51 other weekends to hold non-CITO events, and now Flash Mobs want to draw people away from CITO events too? I find this very disappointing.

Obviously scheduling Spring Fling to conflict with the Official CITO weekend wasn't intentional. These events are planned way ahead of time before they're ever published. CITO weekend usually falls around Earth Day, which is April 22nd this year, so it was assumed the CITO weekend would be around that date.

Although there are 51 other weekends to hold non-CITO events, there are also 51 other weekends to hold CITO events!

Flash Mobs only last 15 minutes, so I don't think they will draw people away from anything.

A buddy an I are going to be in town during this time from Missouri. We plan to attend the CITO event that is being held during the same time the Flash Mob should be held. It would be AWESOME if the Flash Mob was held very close to the CITO event. We are looking forward to caching your part of the world.

A buddy an I are going to be in town during this time from Missouri. We plan to attend the CITO event that is being held during the same time the Flash Mob should be held. It would be AWESOME if the Flash Mob was held very close to the CITO event. We are looking forward to caching your part of the world.

There will be several CITO events that day - do you mean the one at Cougar Mountain? If so - thanks! - but that's quite a ways from Port Orchard, where the Spring Fling and at least one potential WWFM will be held. If someone does a WWFM event in Bellevue or Seattle, you'll have a better shot.

thecowboywayne & I are working on the Bremerton one. Will hopefully get posted soon.

Can someone confirm that this one has been cancelled. I will not be able to make the Spring Fling but thought I could get Arlene to drive me to the one in East Bremerton. I was able to trace it down in the Event Calendar as GC1NHIN. but when I did a search for it. It come up saying it was unpublished. I can understand cancelling it as I would have been the only one showing up. Thanks everyone and enjoy theSpring Fling. Dick

WWFM - Lake Boren: wow, what a turnout! I counted 65 silly souls cavorting with umbrellas around Lake Boren Park, to the astonishment of my neighbors. Well done, Flash Mob!

Thanks to all the attendees for getting into the spirit - colorful umbrellas, "Singing in the Rain" dancing around the lawn - and making this WWFM event such a success!

The Lake Boren Flash Mob:

23ba2980-0717-44f9-836a-f6918d83a65c.jpg

Singing (and dancing) in the rain:

669be03c-dbca-44a4-b32f-98dbbc225917.jpg