What are your favorite types of hides?

Hi, I am still pretty new to geocaching. I am learning what people consider a good hide. Please share the types of hide that you enjoy finding. Do you have a favorite type of hide that you make? Do you like to get hints on finding a cache? Thank you for your input. If you would like to include pictures of devious, tricky, or great camo hides, please do. I have looked all over the internet trying to get different ideas. I would love to see your ideas. Thank you, PascMiss

I like things with some sort of historical lesson. If that is nicely done, I can typically forgive a mediocre hide. Preferably, though, it is a small or regular cache that is fairly well hidden, but not impossibly so. I also like being brought to strange locations (I like abandoned transit infrastructure, particularly)

And my favourite type of hide (as in category, rather than style) is a properly done Letterbox Hybrid. See my 'Welcome to Ottawa,' JSDAFM's 'Bienvenue à Gatineau / Welcome to Gatineau' and my muse, Riverside's 'Welcome to Windsor.' - Ignoring the fact that they are all 'Welcome to...' caches, these two (the other of course being mine)along with 'Subway Cache' are the only three (albeit that I've only found 7) proper Letterbox Hybrids that I've found

I like there to be a purpose to placing the cache other than just a find. I just like to be taken to a location that I would want to visit if the cache was not there. For me this can be many different locations such as, rock formations at the end of a hike, Native American Rock Art, Caves, Old structures or Ghost Towns, Historical locations, road side attractions, Cemeteries, or little know hidden spots in towns or parks.

When I place a cache I always ask myself if the location would be worth driving to and would I want to be brought there.

Hi, I am still pretty new to geocaching. I am learning what people consider a good hide. Please share the types of hide that you enjoy finding. Do you have a favorite type of hide that you make? Do you like to get hints on finding a cache? Thank you for your input. If you would like to include pictures of devious, tricky, or great camo hides, please do. I have looked all over the internet trying to get different ideas. I would love to see your ideas. Thank you, PascMiss

Unusual containers or well camo'd containers made to look like something else..

But in the end, I don't really have a favorite type - wait, yes I do, the kind I can find! <_<

Nice long cahe-hike, with a few curves thrown in just for color.

See "Wild Game Feast". Or "Man, What a dump"

Another example is: "Campfire Micro"

I loves me some quiet time in the woods!

From the links:

Wild game feast: April 10, 2006 by geobudman (85 found)

Whooeeeeee!!! I took the long way in, which just happens to be a more or less straight line. After climbing Mount Mississippi, which as you should know, is the highest peak in the world due to the fact that there is no downslope to it. You get to the top, plant your US Flag, then walk back uphill the way you came, to the next higher level. So you turn around to go get your flag to plant at this "summit", and discover that it is uphill to where you put it to begin with. Unusual, but IT IS THERE!!! The armadillo is still there, too, but he didn't wave at me--he dashed into his hole! I then proceeded to Lake Longshore, which has only one bank. You walk and walk to get around it, but you never really get to the other side. You are always on the wrong side of it. Go figure.

After finally getting close to the cache, I found a game patch planted by the corp for hunters. Walking around it was a breeze considering where I had come from. As a matter of fact, the breeze was perfectly at my back, which allowed all of the horseflies and yellowflies to stay just ahead of me, by about 1 pace. Lovely....

I had to leave the patch to get to the cache, so I chose to use a game trail, which is now much larger than it used to be. As I was standing back up, wiping my hands and knees off with only small amounts of blood flowing, I spied my target. The only things in the box were the log book, a couple of maps, and a "matchbox" type car--good thing the pleasure is in the hunt!

I left a new 6 ft tape measure and a Mobile Mardi Gras coin for the next fool--er, fellow to trade and took nothing. Signed the log, thank goodness the pen was still there, because as usual, I forgot mine! I also camoed the hide a little better. Heh, heh!!

On the way out, I found the right way to travel. Funny thing, every time I saw foot prints, they were headed in the same direction as me--not a single one going back the other way! Everyone must take the "short" route in, and the long route out, just like me!

For those that are interested, I smelled bream beds in several of the lakes and ponds out there. If you enjoy hiking into a fishing hole, these would be good places to try out!

Thanks for the great adventure!!

"What a Dump" May 4, 2006 by geobudman (85 found)

Great hike!!!! Good exercise. I really enjoyed the hike in and out. The mosquitos and horse flies appreciate you sending me out there, also. The population is down from before I took the walk, but the survivors are well-fed.

Spotted a beautiful King Snake on the way out, but he was too shy for me to get a picture of. He was stretched out across the road, so he must have been about 4-5 ft long. He continued on his way, and I went on mine. (Have a great day, Mr. Snake. Good luck with your hunting.)

This is my favorite type of cache--a long walk, and a well-hidden cache that you don't have to beat the briars to get to.

Took a computer game and a magnetic money clip. Left a golf ball, "Chums" and a Mardi Gras coin from Mobile. I also dropped a couple of silica gel packs into the log book package. As the instructions say, "do not eat"! Signed log.

Thanks for the hide!

Edited by geobudman

Bring me somewhere [historic, scenic, little known, out-of-the-way, with a story, on a hike, etc] and then tell me why you have brought me there and what I should see. The cache is just a bonus after that. However, I do perfer small or larger caches and I really like finding those ammo boxes.

...Please share the types of hide that you enjoy finding.

Do you have a favorite type of hide that you make?...

For finds. Anything with a regular contianer will always be better than the same hide with a micro. Swag even if I never trade is a plus. That said I'd not pass up a nice cache that could only be a micro to exist at all.

As for types of hides. Anything interesting in the area gives it a plus. Doesn't matter if it's a waterfall, a rattlesnake, or a homeless camp. I've seen trees, parks, and cookie cutter subdivisions. I haven't seen the sinkhole behind the mall, the natural spring in the parking lot with development all around, the awe inspiring grafitti zone where you are just impressed by the sheer talent some of these kids have. Ditto nature. I've seen a creek. But I haven't seen where the creek cuts through a fossil bed, or where there is a pool with carp the size of my house.

Sometimes a technical hide in a boring enfironment is a thing of wonder. Sometimes it's the company I keep who make all the difference.

My hides are variable as my muse has different inspirations. Some work, some don't.

The container can be any size as far as I'm concerned.

What I enjoy is being taken to a location of interest, even if it's just a park I didn't otherwise know was there. Learning something new is nice, be it historical, natural or whatever. Scenic views are also welcome.

When I know someone has spent some time on the container or taken the time to surprise me, I appreciate the hunt.

35mm containers under lamp post skirts are NOT what I'm talking about.

As for hints. As long as they are actually hints that help out of I get stuck. It bugs me that sometimes people say in the hint, something like, "If you need a hint for this one, get a new hobby." That's just rude. Sometimes people just overlook a hide or their eyes just don't register the container. Sometimes there is "Cacher Drift" and the container is not where it should be. A hint that helps me know what I'm looking for or gives me a real clue to help me find it is what I appreciate.

A good cache will make me say one of the following:

"Wow, what an incredible view!"

"Wow, I had no idea this was here!"

"Wow, I never knew this happened here!"

"Wow, what a clever hide!"

I can't really limit it any further than that, because I've found great hides of all sorts...different containers, different locations, long hikes and short drives, tricky hides and easy virtuals.

Make me pleasantly surprised, and you've hidden a good cache.

Edited by Team Perks

The kinds of caches I like include:

• interesting puzzles, especially the kind where you "just show up" at the posted coordinates, find the puzzle, and solve it
  • those that call attention to public art, including blinkers on sculptures
  • cleverly camouflaged containers
  • nice locations that are worth visiting regardless of whether a cache is there

• interesting puzzles, especially the kind where you "just show up" at the posted coordinates, find the puzzle, and solve it

What's a blinker on a statue? I'm asking because there is some public art here that I'd like to call attention to, but haven't exactly figured out how to yet. I live in So FL and am not a fan of the place. I think there are very few interesting places around here, that don't already have caches. I have some caches ready to hide, but am having a hard time finding places.

Back to topic, though. I like the larger hides as well. I don't trade swag, but I leave it and like to see what others leave. I like the ones that bring me somewhere at least slightly interesting, too, but we do have a lot of urban sprawl down :) here so there aren't a lot of cool hikes and definitely no mountains. But we do have some really nice parks that caching has brought me to.

What's a blinker on a statue? I'm asking because there is some public art here that I'd like to call attention to, but haven't exactly figured out how to yet. I live in So FL and am not a fan of the place. I think there are very few interesting places around here, that don't already have caches. I have some caches ready to hide, but am having a hard time finding places.

Back to topic, though. I like the larger hides as well. I don't trade swag, but I leave it and like to see what others leave. I like the ones that bring me somewhere at least slightly interesting, too, but we do have a lot of urban sprawl down :) here so there aren't a lot of cool hikes and definitely no mountains. But we do have some really nice parks that caching has brought me to.

I too like to see the scenic stuff but, most are taken.

My favorite though are a really clever evil cache. I had a really nice 3/4" bolt hollowed out and painted to look rusty. It got some good reviews after it was finally found. I have had to put it on standby because someone felt they needed it more than I.

I have a really nasty one that I plan on hiding this spring that should really torque some of the ol' trad cachers off.

What's a blinker on a statue?

Blinker, or Blinkie is apparently a regional term for a nano (I've never heard it outside of these forums). Actually the only cache around here that I can think of, off to top of my head, as being physically on a piece of public art is an Altoids Tin. I wonder how it's doing - I had said that it wouldn't last the winter when I found it... I digress...

I think that the reference is something to the effect of 'Blink and you'll miss it'

What's a blinker on a statue?
The Cacheopedia article has a photo...

180px-Nano-cache.jpg

Blinker, or Blinkie is apparently a regional term for a nano (I've never heard it outside of these forums).
Around here, a nano is just a very small micro. Blinkers are nanos, but not all nanos are blinkers.

I think that the reference is something to the effect of 'Blink and you'll miss it'
AIUI, the name comes from the first blinker caches, which were made from blinking LED jewelry (using the battery compartment as the cache container).
AIUI, the name comes from the first blinker caches, which were made from blinking LED jewelry (using the battery compartment as the cache container).

Ah yes... I remember having read that

As for small micros, around here, we just tend to refer to them as what they are in the case of Bison Tubes (etc...), and reserve the term 'Nano' for things that have a log that is basically a piece of shredded paper

We like all caches, but the ones that stick out in my memory were ones that took us someplace nice, a scenic view on a hilltop overlooking a lake, or a walk out onto a rocky outcropping into the ocean...things like that.

That said, we'll usually pick an area to cache and try to find all the caches nearby rather that looking at specific types or sizes.

I like hides that entertain me like:

Caches that require a nice hike. Scouting's Highest Honor ~ "Mt. Baden-Powell" andThroop Peak

Caches that show me unique geological features I didn't know about, that also require a nice hike!Simi Cave, Take your best shot, EL INDIO AMIZONICO!, Wrightwood's Giant Slide

Great virtuals. California's Treasures and Bye Bye Blackbird

Multicaches that take me on a historical tour. Weeping Willow

Caches that provide me with a history lesson. History of Cajon - The Upper Toll House

Neat spots you would have never learned about had it not been for geocaching.The Lonesome Oak, Hill 582 - A Tribute to Railroading!

I've done a lot of caching in urban environments, so I like urban caches that are clever, or in some way different from the usual magnetic hide.

Of course, my only cache hide is an urban micro that copies the style of multiple local cachers, but you gotta start somewhere, right? =D