iPhone GPS/Geocaching App vs Handheld- Help a Newb Out!

TwoSox Trekkers

That's embarrassing. I got an error when trying to post and it left this blank. *sigh*

Anyway, I'm new to the sport and I have some questions re: using the geocaching.com iPhone app and a hand-held GPS. Currently, I have the former and not the latter.

My main question is whether or not the iPhone & app would suffice for urban cache hunting? Is it accurate enough? How do I use a GPS in conjunction with the app? I've never used a GPS before. I feel like I am missing a central concept but I may be over-thinking it.

Looks like the Garmin eTrex or Legend series would be good for a beginner like me.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I would go with a Garmin since they are very user friendly. The only thing bad about the iPhone app is that if you don't have good cell signal while out in the woods you are out of luck or if the phone batteries die you can't just switch them out like you could a regular GPS.

You could use the app do find the coordinates and description for the cache and manually enter the coordinates into your GPS, or use software like EasyGPS to load all the caches in the area you are going to and use the app for descriptions, hints, and the last logs on the cache.

Hope this helped... FD720

I would go with a Garmin since they are very user friendly. The only thing bad about the iPhone app is that if you don't have good cell signal while out in the woods you are out of luck or if the phone batteries die you can't just switch them out like you could a regular GPS.

You could use the app do find the coordinates and description for the cache and manually enter the coordinates into your GPS, or use software like EasyGPS to load all the caches in the area you are going to and use the app for descriptions, hints, and the last logs on the cache.

Both replies helped a bunch- thanks for the insight. I'm still looking at GPS's; time to plan a budget to get one. <_<

Edited by stormy_zen

Both replies helped a bunch- thanks for the insight. I'm still looking at GPS's; time to plan a budget to get one. :)

The upside of using your iPhone in urban settings is people will just think youre texting or playing crash bandicoot. GPSes are a bit stranger, although a blackberry in a protective case is about the same size.

The downside of using your iPhone in an urban area is you are openly using your iPhone in an urban area. Good way to get mugged depending on your town.

I have found the iPhone to be okay, but my five year old sporttrak is more accurate at showing direction. The iPhones "distance" readout, however, is right on most of the time.