FTF question

there's no need to delete the log; it's a legitimate find.

claiming to be FTF has certain entertaining properties, especially if the cache has a number of previous finders whose logs are just as visible.

deleting it would only deprive the community of amusement.

Check out this cache: Tomboys always a FTF Cache

Tired of always missing out on the FTF?

Problems skipping work, missing class and losing sleep just for the glimmer of being able to claim first to find?

The Tomboys have found the solution for you!

Here are the rules:

Anyone can claim and log a FTF, all you need is a little creativity!

What the heck to they mean you ask????

Here is an example:

If you are the first to find the cache while dressed in costume.... "FTF as one of Santa's little helpers"

or if you are out caching with your trusty cache hound....

"FTF with my pet hedgehog"

You get the idea.

Only only requirements is that you are creative and family friendly (nothing inappropriate kids) in claiming your FTF!

And as an added bonus, just for you as you claim FTF please feel free to log our FTF coin.

Wait! Wait! I want to play too!

I learned this from briansnat so blame him:

"How does this take away from your enjoyment of the sport?"

"How can you cheat at a game where there are no winners?"

"He is only cheating himself"

"Maybe you need to worry more about _____ (fill in the blank....world hunger, the economy, war, curing cancer, etc... )

Personally, I'll let them claim anything they want. People who read the logs can decide for themselves if it is really a FTF.

Is it acceptable to let them claim an FTF even though the original cache was placed in Jan of 06 and had 25 finds before I replaced it?

Who cares? Seriously, I mean it. Part of the reason that people are so ridiculous about FTFs and make absurd claims like the one you document is that people seem to care so much about FTF.

IMO, the vast majority of FTFs are completely worthless. Sure, if the cache is a really hard puzzle or a very tough hike there is some value to being first, but I really find it pathetic that people get so competitive about being the first to pull up the lamp-post skirt.

I am tempted to delete any log that has the string "FTF" in it on the caches I own. I haven't ever done it, but I'd sure like to.

I am tempted to delete any log that has the string "FTF" in it on the caches I own. I haven't ever done it, but I'd sure like to.

Ya wanna really fix 'em? Edit the cache description; change it to a Mystery cache becuz of the new ALR, that being a demand everyone claim it as an FTF on their log. A win-win win, win, win, win, win, errrr.....win win win.....ad infinitum.

Gigglez all around.

~*

i love you guys.

sure, let them claim to be world champions if they want. while they're at it, they can declare themselves to be the rightful king and queen of england. that one's gone out of style in recent years, but it was once very popular.

Um, just to be clear, they cannot claim to be world champions. I laid claim to that title years ago.

...as for king or queen of England, more power to them.

Edited by Unkle Fester

Well the two of them combined have 18 finds.

17 for one and 1 for the other.

I think I'll let the newbies bask in the warmth of their first FTF.

I would be inclined to send them an email congratulating them for their effort and for being the first to find the cache in the new location. It would be a nice gesture, would cost very little, and would likely gain you a pair of geocaching pals and fans. Well at least the fans part because they will think you are very cool, nice, generous, caring, sharing, etc. since you took a moment to acknowledge their acheivement.

Just a thought. :)

I would be inclined to send them an email congratulating them for their effort and for being the first to find the cache in the new location. It would be a nice gesture, would cost very little, and would likely gain you a pair of geocaching pals and fans. Well at least the fans part because they will think you are very cool, nice, generous, caring, sharing, etc. since you took a moment to acknowledge their acheivement.

Just a thought. :rolleyes:

I agree. It is a new location and in the big scheme of things, what does it really hurt to let someone have a little happiness. So, what if they are new - they still found it fair and square. I just hope they don't find this forum and think we're a community of negative - obsessive ninnys all over a silly FTF. It's not like it's the olympics or something.

Just a thought. :)

I agree. It is a new location and in the big scheme of things, what does it really hurt to let someone have a little happiness. So, what if they are new - they still found it fair and square. I just hope they don't find this forum and think we're a community of negative - obsessive ninnys all over a silly FTF. It's not like it's the olympics or something. No way these folks could see them. :anicute:

Well it certainly isn't the Olympics! I see them almost daily as I drive about the Seattle area.

Ya wanna really fix 'em? Edit the cache description; change it to a Mystery cache becuz of the new ALR, that being a demand everyone claim it as an FTF on their log. A win-win win, win, win, win, win, errrr.....win win win.....ad infinitum.

Gigglez all around.

~*

i love you guys.

i know you do.

if luvin' me is wrong, you don't wanna be right....&c.

now answer my dang PM about the snow pic!

(& the 1st person who suggests we 'get a room'....gets a smiley!)

~*

They can claim what they like, doesn't make it any more or less true than it would be though. I'm thinking that a simple email explaining that their visit was appreciated but it wasn't a new hide, would probably have been enough to explain their confusion.

I've seen people ask if the FTF "is still available" because the previous finder hadn't "claimed" it. That's somewhat silly too but it seems that some geocachers may use a definition of the word "first" of which many of us are unfamiliar.