pn-40 is it worth it?

well i am still trying to decide on what unit to buy. i like that this one has maps at no extra cost. how is it for geocacheing and routing? also considering the gpsmap 60csx. any good info is much appreciated. i have read about 1000 reviews over the 2 this weekend.

well i am still trying to decide on what unit to buy. i like that this one has maps at no extra cost. how is it for geocacheing and routing? also considering the gpsmap 60csx. any good info is much appreciated. i have read about 1000 reviews over the 2 this weekend.

Go to REI or a store that sells the models you're considering. Reading about them is good, but no substitute for handling them. Before this I ruled out the PN-40 because of the small screen. When I tried it in the store I found the small screen wasn't a problem after all.

I have a 60CSx at the moment which I've used for two years. Great unit, but the desire to go paperless is almost a necessity if you do a fair amount of geocaching. My replacement choices came down to:

1. Garmin Colorado - much better software since it was introduced and the price has really dropped. Really considered it when there was a $50 rebate last month. I let it pass as this unit doesn't get as much attention from Garmin anymore since the Oregon was released.

2. DeLorme PN-40 - a strong contender in the race to dominate the GPS market. This also had a $50 rebate (just recently expired) which made me take a closer look. The unlimited maps for $30 a year is another attractive selling point of Delorme. DeLorme is also a regular on this forum and they really listen to us. I didn't buy their GPS for a couple of reasons:

- The constant on requires the batteries to be removed after use or they'll be drained in a month.

- The battery door requires two screws, and although it's a really water tight solution, I much prefer the Garmin battery doors, especially if you have to do a lot of battery changes.

- The buttons aren't back lite like on my 60CSx. I like to know where the buttons are at night.

- Cosmetically the PN series are just ugly and look like child's toys! Sorry DeLorme, I know you're probably trying to appeal to the boaters, but safety yellow and international orange top the charts when it comes to loud. I bought an RC submarine which looks a lot like the PN-20. I have no doubt your next model, say the PN-60, will probably be a nice subdued color scheme and maybe have a better case size to screen ratio. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on DeLorme.

3. Garmin Oregon - A recent and still current $50 rebate combined with a slight price drop at Amazon.com made me pull the trigger on the 300 model. I already have a Garmin 24K Topo (includes routable roads) microSD so this was a good choice for me. The screen has daylight readable issues, but since I don't intent to mount the GPS I can easily make hand adjustments. Maybe I'll feel differently when I actually hike with it.

In the end it really comes down to personal preference. I highly recommend going to a store that allows a hands on inspection.

Really depends on what you want the unit to do.

The tried and true unit is the 60CSx. A superior blend of features and sensitivity. Most users fall in love with these units for a varity of uses. Easy to learn and easy to use. Driving, backpacking, biking etc.... However, it just lacks any real paperless Geocaching features.

The PN-40 is new but users are quickly learning to love them. The learning curve is steep but the unit holds an awful lot of potential with its powerful mapping features. It has true paperless Geocaching but it isn't as quick or easy to use as the Garmin Oregon -- yet.

I like the PN-40. It does everything well. The 60csx is good too, just not paperless features. I think the idea about going to REI or Bass Pro and touching the units is a good idea. I just can't see paying the extra bucks for the Oregon. If it was closer in price to the PN-40 I might have considered it as an option.

. i have read about 1000 reviews over the 2 this weekend.

You've done your homework. Is there anything in particular holding you back?

You might just need to buy one, use it for 2-3 weeks, and then make your decision whether to keep it or send it back.

I just got a PN-40 about 2 weeks ago. This is my first GPSr. I'm new to GPSr but have been using topos and a compass for several years. I like the pn-40 alot. Controls are easy to use. Screen is good. Usability also good. The TOPO7 software has a lot of functionality and takes some time to learn. I'm very happy with my choice. I looked at the Garmin Oregon & eTrex series and Magellan. I chose the PN-40 because of Delorme's mapping reputation and price was comparable to similar units. Also the new 2.5 beta makes transferring geocaching info so easy.

Have fun and good luck,

I did a lot of research too and concluded that while the 60CSx is a fine unit and sells for about the same price as the PN-40, the add-ons for the Garmin really add up. And even with the 60CSx + a PDA + GSAK + $100 maps you still have an older pieced-together setup that lacks the photo imagery of the DeLorme.

I also think the unnatural color will be much easier to spot when the day comes that I manage to drop my PN-40 into some dark underbrush or wherever. It's not a fashion accessory; it's a tool.

I know you've been doing a lot of research on this. At some point, you simply need to pull the trigger and get something in your hands to test yourself. The PN-40 has a 30 day money back guarantee from DeLorme so it's a very low risk proposition.

I have both the 60CSx (and owned the 60CS before that) and the PN-40. I've held onto my 60CSx while I made up my mind on the PN-40 but I'm going to be getting it ready to sell shortly. The PN-40 has an equal quality receiver, a clearer display and much better Geocaching features. The latest firmware update is most of the way to full paperless caching on the PN-40 and it works very well. In addition, the PN-40 comes with 1:100K topo maps for the entire U.S. at no additional cost while the 60CSx only comes with a basemap.

The biggest advantate of the PN-40 over any other available GPS receiver is the DeLorme Map Library subscription. For $30 a year, you can download all the maps and imagery you want. This includes scanned and cleaned up USGS 1:24K quads, monochrome aerial photography, color aerial photography, satellite imagery, NOAA charts and high resolution color aerial photography for 133 U.S. cities. The data is raster so it can be quite large. Still you can get huge areas on an inexpensive 16GB SD card. For a recent trip, I loaded all of Joshua Tree National Park with 1:00K topos, 1:24K USGS quads, monochrome and color aerial imagery and SAT-10 satellite imagery on one card. Selecting and download isn't the cleanest possible process right now but with a little practice it goes pretty quickly. The versatility of the imagery and maps is simply amazing. Switching between image types can also reveal things that you otherwise wouldn't see.

To get 1:24K topos on the 60CSx you have to either buy them from Garmin (which is expensive) or try free user created maps. Some of these maps are very good while other leave a lot to be desired. As with any free product, your mileage may vary.

Another important distinction of the PN-40 package is the inclusion of a full copy of DeLorme Topo 7. This program provides a powerful tool for maps, draw layers, waypoints, routes and more on your computer. It also has all the maps and imagery you've downloaded using the Map Library Subscription so you can view them while planning or reviewing a trip. It'll almost (but not quite) like having a portable copy of Google Earth. It also works with a tethered GPS receiver. The maps and imagery are awesome on a big computer screen, especially when they show your exact position. I find it very useful when exploring off-road by car.

Last but not least, DeLorme offers excellent support for the product. They actively participate in this forum and on the DeLorme forums. They also listen closely to user feedback and try to implement popular (but doable) suggestions in each firmware release.

The 60CSx is a great GPS receiver. It's accurate and easy to use. It's also getting pretty old and the new models from Garmin and DeLorme surpass it. Since the 60CSx and the PN-40 are around the same price, it seems like a no-brainer to me.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

No device this sophisticated can be manufactured without challenging its owners with a steep learning curve. That's true of the PN-40, and it's true of the TopoUSA 7. But, you get what you pay for in terms of reward for the time and energy invested.

For a map-o-holic like myself, the $29.95 "fix" of maps for a year can't be beat. The options appear limitless.

I've spent at least the last decade traveling with the DeLorme printed-on-paper atlases. They've led me to some wonderful places I would have never found without them. The PN-40 only enhances that experience.

If you've got the patience for a steep learning curve :) , the reward will be well worth your effort. It is becoming so for me.

As is being discussed elsewhere, the pn-40 is really only usable in the US.... step out overseas and you won't be able to (easily) find and store maps... you also won't be able to route on those maps (they are raster, not vector).

Depends on what you want out of the deal I guess. I travel a lot and even on waterways, so the PN-40 is a no-go. My 60csx rocks the house, btw, really super durable and functional. Lots and lots of maps available too, often for free!

As is being discussed elsewhere, the pn-40 is really only usable in the US.... step out overseas and you won't be able to (easily) find and store maps... you also won't be able to route on those maps (they are raster, not vector).

Depends on what you want out of the deal I guess. I travel a lot and even on waterways, so the PN-40 is a no-go. My 60csx rocks the house, btw, really super durable and functional. Lots and lots of maps available too, often for free!

I'm glad you're happy with the older tech the 60CSx has to offer, it's too bad you can't use the PN-40! One of these days, I am certain DeLorme will come out with maps for other countries, until then, I guess those of you who travel or live outside the USA will just have to suffer!

One of the drawbacks with the 60CSx, no field notes (no paperless feature to speak of, for that matter). This means you have to keep track of all the caches you find (which can be a hassle, especially if on a long trip or when your co-pilot isn't very good at keeping notes). Of course, there's always the new tech Garmins, but you'd still need to spend a lot more money for maps and such!

Of course, all these GPS units offer worldwide basemaps, so if driving directions isn't a need (say, if you rent a car with built-in GPS), any of these will help good enough on vacation!!

btw...those free maps, how's the routing with those?? I'm guessing geocaching isn't a priority with you, though, considering all your finds were made in CA (including the one on your cache)!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Excuse me, I was a little tardy this afternoon. However, now that I'm here:

That's a very accurate assessment. DeLorme does not offer any international maps (not even for Canada). It's very unfortunate (and I believe shortsighted). For international use, a DeLorme product would not be the way to go.

Among all the 'pimping' of the pn-40, it's amazing to me that people don't drill this fact into the ground.... however thank you for answering this question!

So allow me to help here and mention that the Topo USA 7.0 product is just what is says: USA as here:

http://www.amazon.com/Topo-USA-7-0-Nationa...3739&sr=8-1

However, to circumvent being subject to further criticism of not drilling down sufficiently, allow me to note that the product includes neither vector nor raster maps of Bulgaria!

Swaziland, anybody?

I'm glad you're happy with the older tech the 60CSx has to offer, it's too bad you can't use the PN-40! One of these days, I am certain DeLorme will come out with maps for other countries, until then, I guess those of you who travel or live outside the USA will just have to suffer!

One of the drawbacks with the 60CSx, no field notes (no paperless feature to speak of, for that matter). This means you have to keep track of all the caches you find (which can be a hassle, especially if on a long trip or when your co-pilot isn't very good at keeping notes). Of course, there's always the new tech Garmins, but you'd still need to spend a lot more money for maps and such!

Of course, all these GPS units offer worldwide basemaps, so if driving directions isn't a need (say, if you rent a car with built-in GPS), any of these will help good enough on vacation!!

btw...those free maps, how's the routing with those??

10-4, Roddy,

So if he wants to go paperless geocaching (what this forum is about anyway) on a waterway in Yugoslavia, he'll need a Slavic language Palm Pilot. :huh:

btw...those free maps, how's the routing with those?? I'm guessing geocaching isn't a priority with you, though, considering all your finds were made in CA (including the one on your cache)!

Well I cut down the post quote... Yea I DO wish I could get more info on the gps for caches, it's true, but one inaccuracy is that the thing does keep track of which caches I find... (however I don't log finds anyway, just sign notes, if that, trade items, and leave :huh:) I mostly love caching because it adds another dimension to something I might do anyway (go for a bike ride, hike, visit a country, etc).

As for routing, I don't really rely on it too much, for example I was on foot or bike in Switzerland recently so... though I could route it wasn't necessary. Sometimes I find routing helpful, but not all that much... I was just mentioning to be fair the limitations of the pn-40.

Cowboy:

I'm not sure why all the sarcasm, cowboy, though it is amusing. (It's a little more than 'just helpful' though!) I just think that people over-look (as I initially did) the limits of the machine, thinking, incorrectly, that the pn-40 is more versatile than it is - after all it does include a lot of fantastic features, and most machines are capable of multiple map sets.

I would be curious (but perhaps only curious!) to really see and explore the base-maps... on the garmin anyway it's pretty dadgum selective - like just a dot for a city such as... Zurich or whatever... maybe one or two highways. I could be fun, I can see, to cache 'blind' without streets, but that's a different use - I like to use the things to get around with confidence, and perhaps plug in an intersection and at least use the 'go-to' function, even without routing.

So yea, I do sorta believe that not being specifically up-front about the lack of versatility of the pn-40 is a bit disingenuous on the part of delorme. However obviously I just asked the question and found out - and am happy to pass info on, for as long as it doesn't bore me (which might be shortly, honestly). I really didn't mean to stir up such emotion! It IS amusing though. All this talk about lying and blah blah blah!

So sorry you slept in today - is this what happened last night?

duty_calls.png

Edited by Couchsurfer

So yea, I do sorta believe that not being specifically up-front about the lack of versatility of the pn-40 is a bit disingenuous on the part of delorme. However obviously I just asked the question and found out - and am happy to pass info on, for as long as it doesn't bore me (which might be shortly, honestly). I really didn't mean to stir up such emotion! It IS amusing though. All this talk about lying and blah blah blah!

So sorry you slept in today - is this what happened last night?

duty_calls.png

You are kidding...right? I mean, did you see anywhere that the PN-40 DID offer maps for other than the USA?? No? So, because you perceived the unit would, you find it at fault for your mistake? Makes sense to me!

You also realize that the DeLorme can import maps with Xmap, right? I believe (but could be wrong since I'm not overly tech savvy) it's been said elsewhere that the free maps you can get ahold of can also be downloaded to the PN-40 (again, could be wrong here).

I also like how you say the routing is important and then backtrack rapidly when called on it! Not bad! Didn't answer the question though, how are those free maps at routing over there in the faraway countries?

Edited by Rockin Roddy

"You are kidding...right? I mean, did you see anywhere that the PN-40 DID offer maps for other than the USA?? No? So, because you perceived the unit would, you find it at fault for your mistake? Makes sense to me!

You also realize that the DeLorme can import maps with Xmap, right? I believe (but could be wrong since I'm not overly tech savvy) it's been said elsewhere that the free maps you can get ahold of can also be downloaded to the PN-40 (again, could be wrong here).

I also like how you say the routing is important and then backtrack rapidly when called on it! Not bad! Didn't answer the question though, how are those free maps at routing over there in the faraway countries?"

Actually, I naively thought (at first) that perhaps you could load up garmin maps on the pn-40, that the delome maps included were just a teaser. This is strictly the impression I first had when I viewed the product online. I had been using my 60csx for a few years and just hadn't looked around other corners.

Sure the maps that come with the pn-40 are USA, but who's to say anything about what might be possible. I don't think that it's unreasonable to assume that there might be other maps available, other than the ones it comes with.

How I got into this discussion is that I was searching for a device for a friend in Europe - as someone said in another thread "I wouldn't gift the Xmap software on someone" - my sentiments exactly. It's not a moral issue, it's just confusing, and I'm not the only one apparently.

As for 'free' maps, there are a lot of answers to that question, but it's not too relevant - for example I found (limited) routing (more like location finding i.e. intersections etc) on a Costa Rica map I dled for free but it's sorta silly for Costa Rica anyway... all the dirt roads and such. I haven't even tried on my Switzerland topo, because I have garmin maps for europe anyway on my 60csx. As for it being important - well I mean for ME it's not critical, but for others it is. Looking up locations by address, however, is certainly nice, I would even say super-duper nice. I use it all the time in big cities. Can the topo usa for delome do that? I must admit I'm not the one you needs the answer, in the end I am turned off to the pn-40, so "the case is closed".

(One thing that would seal the deal for me would be updatable public transportation on any mapset... my god I would love that. But that's sort of pie-in-the-sky.... but that alone might convince me that the pn-40 would be super-rockin, even if it was for the US - seems it's a bit far off though. Open Street Maps has a few people working on it but still... I'm waaay of topic here.)

Edited by Couchsurfer

Cowboy:

I'm not sure why all the sarcasm, cowboy, though it is amusing.

Roger that, and a BIG 10-4! :P

If I can't sit here and chuckle as I compose, I won't compose! ;)

I don't totally agree on the

disingenuous
, however.

But, I'll look into that shortly. I'm leaving in a bit to take my grandson to soccer practice and I'll be passing my some car lots. I'll check the stickers to see if those without GPS/NAV mention the lack thereof and...... :huh:

Holy moly, Couchsurfer. My '06 Jeep Grand Cherokee has factory installed, GPS/NAV in the dash. I'll check it for.......... never mind. :ph34r:

Now, I'm really LMAOAROOTF

OK, over and out!

Cowboy says:

"If I can't sit here and chuckle as I compose, I won't compose! :huh: "

I've got nothin' but love for ya man! And if your jeep can navigate over water, I will be seriously impressed.

This friend in another country...do they have stores there?? Do they sell GPS units there? Maybe the first place to look would be...there?? I mean, if Garmin has a unit for the country in question, the maps will be included, right??

Now, if DeLorme were to offer or even advertise their product somewhere their maps don't support, THEN I could see your confusion!

Cowboy says:

"If I can't sit here and chuckle as I compose, I won't compose! :huh: "

I've got nothin' but love for ya man! And if your jeep can navigate over water, I will be seriously impressed.

No big deal, actually. But then I've never tried to ford a stream more than 2 ft deep.

And don't worry about off topic, happens every 15 minutes, regardless.

Quote:

"This friend in another country...do they have stores there?? Do they sell GPS units there? Maybe the first place to look would be...there?? I mean, if Garmin has a unit for the country in question, the maps will be included, right??

Now, if DeLorme were to offer or even advertise their product somewhere their maps don't support, THEN I could see your confusion!"

Perhaps you haven't been out of the country much (haha, that would explain this conversation) and briefly considered exchange rates.... tariffs, the world-wide availability on the internet, or etc...

Let's be honest - it would be easy enough to think that the delorme would somehow have maps available outside of U. S. of A. - not to mention Canada... and what about all those folks who live near the boarder?

It's not THAT hard to think that a GLOBAL Positioning System might work effectively outside of, say, one fraction of the world... Jeeze I'm arguing with a piece of wood here... and I'm not even trying... I didn't pick an argument with ya buddy! All I'm saying is that it would be easy to assume the Delome would be like the other benchmarks in the field - and cover the world. After all, this is their signature product, the one that is supposed to blow the others away. It is fantastic at what it does, which is limited when compared to other's coverage.

Do you work for them or something? Or: How long have you been a troll?

Metafilter.jpg

Edited by Couchsurfer

Quote:

"This friend in another country...do they have stores there?? Do they sell GPS units there? Maybe the first place to look would be...there?? I mean, if Garmin has a unit for the country in question, the maps will be included, right??

Now, if DeLorme were to offer or even advertise their product somewhere their maps don't support, THEN I could see your confusion!"

Perhaps you haven't been out of the country much (haha, that would explain this conversation) and briefly considered exchange rates.... tariffs, the world-wide availability on the internet, or etc...

Let's be honest - it would be easy enough to think that the delorme would somehow have maps available outside of U. S. of A. - not to mention Canada... and what about all those folks who live near the boarder?

It's not THAT hard to think that a GLOBAL Positioning System might work effectively outside of, say, one fraction of the world... Jeeze I'm arguing with a piece of wood here... and I'm not even trying... I didn't pick an argument with ya buddy! All I'm saying is that it would be easy to assume the Delome would be like the other benchmarks in the field - and cover the world. After all, this is their signature product, the one that is supposed to blow the others away. It is fantastic at what it does, which is limited when compared to other's coverage.

img although funny was edited for brevity

I can see where assumptions were made. However, DeLorme has always been a mapping company for the USA and nobody else. Even the briefest look at their product line would have given that much of a hint and would have ended this debate long ago. :huh: This is a company who's signature product is mapping software. The GPS compliments their flag product line.

The PN-xx series is their first dip into the handheld market for use with THEIR software. So yes, even though it is a GLOBAL positioning device, it doesn't necessarily follow the supporting software is also going to be GLOBAL. Put in your wish list at the DeLorme forum. The more the community keeps putting in their voice, the more likely DeLorme will be to listen. Complaining about it here is merely noise.

Edited by TotemLake

Quote:

Metafilter.jpg

A lot of assumptions were made on your part! First, you made assumptions about the maps offered by DeLorme, then you assumed that I have not been pout of the country much?? Let me help you thee:

While on a cruise, my Aussie friend wanted a vid camera like mine, so we stopped off at a few local shops (in Jamaica), where she bought her camera for a lot cheaper than I bought mine....in the USA! Did we stop to cyber shop? NO? While in Costa Rico, I wanted a new zoom lens for my digital camera, so where did I shop? Not on the internet as you might have thought, but in a local shop where I was able to get it cheap!! When in Granada, I was able to pick up a brand new camera since mine was broken on a trip before this, guess where I bought that one! I would venture to guess I've seen my fair share of other countries....but I could continue should you like! From Gold to electronics, I ALWAYS shopped while out of the country, the prices were always cheaper (lets not forget Nike shoes in Panama for $.50...and Levi jeans as well).

I think it's funny how you assumed I was a troll or worked for DeLorme....you do know what happens when you assume, right? Maybe not, since you couldn't even figure out to read the description of the product you were intending to gift! Not only do you seem to not be too keen on reading, you also like to lash out at the company. And when shown your error, you then want to call me a troll and insinuate that I work for DeLorme....bravo!!

I made an assumption myself...I assumed most who are thinking of buying something would actually READ about the item, RESEARCH it and make an informed decision. I guess smart buying is out these days! :huh::ph34r:

btw...a troll is someone who comes in merely to stir the pot. Since you've already stated you weren't intending to buy DeLorme, could it be you are doing what you accuse me of?? IAnd, if you'd be so kind as to remove the wood from between your shoulderblades, you'd no longer be arguing with wood, my friend! Give it a try!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Just a curious question for the OP -

Any specific questions about the 60csx?

One great thing I can say about it, is that it continues to surprise me with it's capabilities and flexibility. Also, while I think the raster images the pn-40 offers are great, I have not used a program called MOAGU (or others) on the 60csx, but it does seem capable of offering satellite pictures, etc, of locations. However it is certainly a 'work-around' and this is not it's forte.

Given that the 60csx is what I carry, I would be very happy to report on my experience... and I am sure others would be happy to do so as well.