caching on a blackberry

g0t0pless

I just recently got my Blackberry Curve, and I've had my Premium Membership for a year or so.

How can I make the best use of my Blackberry for caching, and how can I make the best use of the site using my Blackberry?

Being that the Blackberry's are really coming down in price, have a built-in GPS, and have web browsing built-in, I can imagine this being a hot topic.

Maybe someone would be willing to post a how-to with step-by-step instructions?

I just recently got my Blackberry Curve, and I've had my Premium Membership for a year or so.

How can I make the best use of my Blackberry for caching, and how can I make the best use of the site using my Blackberry?

Being that the Blackberry's are really coming down in price, have a built-in GPS, and have web browsing built-in, I can imagine this being a hot topic.

I use CacheBerry for paperless geocaching and if you're not a Verizon customer, you could use a GPS type program to use it for geocaching.

I've never liked using a phone for geocaching, but I think some have and like it. I would rather use equipment that was designed for the task.

Not sure about which program that will work on a Blackberry and it's GPS for caching though.

I use CacheBerry for paperless geocaching and if you're not a Verizon customer, you could use a GPS type program to use it for geocaching.

I've never liked using a phone for geocaching, but I think some have and like it. I would rather use equipment that was designed for the task.

Not sure about which program that will work on a Blackberry and it's GPS for caching though.

Yup, I have Verizon. I do know the built-in GPS is designed for long distance travelling on roads, not short distance on trails.

I would bring my regular GPS with me for the first few just to be sure my Blackberry is up to the task.

The built in GPS on the Verizon BlackBerry Curve will only work with the BlackBerry Maps and the VZNav. Otherwise, it is locked down. And the BlackBerry's GPS receiver is pretty weak in terms of reception, anyway.

However, you can use the Curve for paperless caching and accessing the Geocaching.com website. However, if you are going to take it in rugged conditions, get the Otterbox Defender.

Ditto to everything said above. I'm loving using my Verizon Curve with CacheBerry (can't switch from Verizon - wish the GPS wasn't locked). When I'm done with my day's caching, I have CacheBerry email me the Field Notes. Save 'em to my pc's hard drive, upload them to here and then go through and log the caches. It works very well for me.

Also, you can use SMS to get basic cache info and log a Found or DNF in the field without hitting the website. Look here.

I have known about geocaching for less than 72 hours so I am a total newb.

I have a Blackberry Curve 8310 that I am trying to use with geocaching.

I have only the basic membership on geocaching.com. I'm very excited about this but if I can't get the kids and/or wife on board then my geocaching days may be cut very short.

I have installed Cacheberry (30 day trial) but I have absolutely no idea how to use it. It is not user-friendly for a newb. I have no clue what to do with this software. Do I have to be a premium member in order to use Cacheberry?

I have also installed Geocache Navigator (60 day trial) and I love it. It is very user-friendly.

I've only searched for one cache so far and have been unsuccessful. :-(

Good luck (to us all). :-)

I have only the basic membership on geocaching.com. I'm very excited about this but if I can't get the kids and/or wife on board then my geocaching days may be cut very short.

I have installed Cacheberry (30 day trial) but I have absolutely no idea how to use it. It is not user-friendly for a newb. I have no clue what to do with this software. Do I have to be a premium member in order to use Cacheberry?

I have also installed Geocache Navigator (60 day trial) and I love it. It is very user-friendly.

I have a BB Curve 8330. I use Cacheberry and my Curve for paperless caching. However, I use a Garamin Vista HCx to find the cache. I love this combination. I agree that Cacheberry can be a bit confusing, and especially so for a nebie to geocaching. However, the Cacheberry forum is super. All of the participants are friendly and very helpful to a newbie. You will need to be a Premium member to make use of Cacheberry, but if you are going to get into geocaching you should seriously consider upgrading whether you use Cacheberry or not.

Good luck, and I hope you and your family find geocaching to be the great sport/hobby that many of us have. By the way, kids usually love geocaching! My grandkids can't wait to go hiking with me and find caches.

OldA'sFan

I do not know a whole lot about cacheberry because I like Geocache Navigator so much. If you have any questions please let me know. Plus I also have a two part tutorial video on my GeoSnippits website for Geocache Navigator if interested.

http://www.geosnippits.com

-HHH :huh: