Caches that encourage Cachers to tear things up

qlenfg

Just wondering if people placing caches ever bother to think about cachers tearing things up trying to find their cache? Some cachers apparently have no sense when it comes to looking for things, and they totally trash out an area trying to find the elusive cache.

I've ran across several that had people prying on things, removing covers, opening utility boxes, digging through landscaping, taking apart sprinkler heads, etc... In many cases they don't put back things they have disturbed, and I'm certain the property owners are none to pleased.

All it would take is a bit of common sense, and perhaps a note in the cache description directing people not to disturb things or advising them where not to look.

After I found my first cache in the sprinkler head I was unscrewing sprinkler heads any time there was one near the coordinates and the size of the cache might fit. But after a few, I learned what they felt like when they have the spring inside and no container. Learning curve. :D

I have been caching and seen what I assume to be evidence of what you are talking about. Screws loosened or removes, circuit breakers opened.

I suggest that your comment about common sense is not taking into consideration that there are those that do place hides in sprinkler heads, behind things that have to be screwed off and in metal boxes that are best left unopened. I think part of the responsibility is in the hider to put "where not to look" in the description. As for common sense, if it were so common, why isn't there more of it around? :D

I was at a cache yesterday that was a 4 star difficulty and in the description it states, "Remember, things are not always what they appear to be. Think outside the box." There was a padlock cut open with bolt cutters and screws missing or loosened. Either someone was trying to steal the metal for cash, or, some cacher was really thinking outside the box. :laughing:

I think the worst are micros hidden in old stone fences.

The owner probably thinks "just look behind that one little stone and you'll find it".

In reality, many cachers end up moving many stones and although they think they put them back as found, they are gradually destroying the old stone fence.

Gotta side with SBell on this one, I'm afraid (I'm very afraid!)

A note on the cache page will most likely not even be read by many cachers, and those that do trash, will trash. Myself, I don't like to go to a cache site that looks as though someone has been there looking already, and so I try to leave it the same way. Even in the snow, I usually make at least some attempt at brushing my tracks out around the find.

I`ve got a couple caches where I could have used bigger containers or put them in more accessible places, but I chose not to in order to avoid damage to the surrounding area. In my town there are the remains of an old castle, complete with stone walls with all sorts of gaps that could accommodate a cache. But I didn`t want people to pick the walls apart in their search, so instead the cache is up on top of the mountain in a part of the castle that`s now overgrown with trees. I`d probably get a few more finds on that one if there wasn`t a hike involved. And I`m not terribly fond of magnetic keyholder micros, but that`s what I hid near some really cool basalt formations. I could have hidden a regular sized cache in a pile of rocks or under some brush just off the path, but again I didn`t want people picking apart the stones or trampling the vegetation, so micro under the bench it was.

I`ve got a couple caches where I could have used bigger containers or put them in more accessible places, but I chose not to in order to avoid damage to the surrounding area. In my town there are the remains of an old castle, complete with stone walls with all sorts of gaps that could accommodate a cache. But I didn`t want people to pick the walls apart in their search, so instead the cache is up on top of the mountain in a part of the castle that`s now overgrown with trees. I`d probably get a few more finds on that one if there wasn`t a hike involved. And I`m not terribly fond of magnetic keyholder micros, but that`s what I hid near some really cool basalt formations. I could have hidden a regular sized cache in a pile of rocks or under some brush just off the path, but again I didn`t want people picking apart the stones or trampling the vegetation, so micro under the bench it was.

Nothing wrong with a micro under the bench if the view is good. Sticking a micro in a bunch of shrubs behind Home Depot is not good. A micro hidden in plain sight is an adventure. One stuck under some tree roots behind someone's fence, complete with yappy dog, is not.

Just wondering if people placing caches ever bother to think about cachers tearing things up trying to find their cache? Some cachers apparently have no sense when it comes to looking for things, and they totally trash out an area trying to find the elusive cache.

I've ran across several that had people prying on things, removing covers, opening utility boxes, digging through landscaping, taking apart sprinkler heads, etc... In many cases they don't put back things they have disturbed, and I'm certain the property owners are none to pleased.

All it would take is a bit of common sense, and perhaps a note in the cache description directing people not to disturb things or advising them where not to look.

I've found caches behind covers. I've found cache inside utility boxes. I've found caches under/within' landscaping. I've found cache inside sprinkler heads. I agree that if you open something up you should close it, if you can, but I don't find it surprising that people would check those locations since those are common places to hide caches.