any of you like mountain bking?

Love it! It's become a favorite past time of mine. I used to ride alot when I was younger (before driver's license) but, have become more interested in it as of late. I'm a student (Conservation Biology) and my apartment is about 3.5 miles from campus. It's a nice morning ride to class and it sure beats paying for a parking pass! Aside from transportation, there is a nice trail that runs near my place that's a 22 mile loop between two counties. It sure is nice to catch a rhythm while riding without having to dodge traffic. People in vehicles just don't give riders the respect they deserve. The only bummer about the path is that it's paved and wears my expensive tires funny. I'm always bald in the center and knobby on the edges. Luckily, a state park about 15 miles away spent last year converting a whole bunch of snowmobile trails to mountain bike single and double track. I've yet to go out there but i plan to as soon as the weather breaks. I'm looking forward to loosening the suspension up front and going at it! I'm glad to see fellow bikers around here as there aren't many of us anymore! Thanks for the topic, stay safe, and RIDE ON brother! (or sister :) )

Love mtn biking! It's one of the reasons we re-located here! Tons of it..all levels. I like to do my own work on my bikes..but being somewhat lazy..they spend lots of down-time.

otherwise..we're out on um every day (with GPS)! Dan

I bike to must of the caches I find.

There are few things that I enjoy more than mountain biking! Its a great adrenaline fix for me and a great way to enjoy the wilderness.

My favorite place to ride is at Tsali National Recreation Area in Nantahala National Forest by Great Smoky Mountain National Park. There are some GREAT trails there.

Love mtn biking! It's one of the reasons we re-located here! Tons of it..all levels. I like to do my own work on my bikes..but being somewhat lazy..they spend lots of down-time.

otherwise..we're out on um every day (with GPS)! Dan

I bike to must of the caches I find.

Funny..but we have horse stabling here and lots of trail riding. One guy in particular ..into GPS and chaching and I are planning to develop a saddle horn with a GPS mount!! :D~dfk

I just got a mtn bike a few weeks ago and I'm lovin' it.

As far as caching goes it's great for mainenance trips and I've got a couple of mountain cache visits lined up on bike trails. There are also a couple of caches I have visited in the past that are particularly suitable, so I'll be re-visiting them. I can't wait. :blink:

It also gives Bob (my dog) a chance to really let go.

I have a Mountain Bike (a Trek 3100 or something like that)... It seems to be a pretty heavey duty bike... Sadly, I don't think I can call what I do Mountain biking... I ride a log of paved and semi-paved Bike trails...

I'm actually considering getting another set of rims with thinner smoother tires thats are better suited for the pavement... The more aggressive mudder/knobby tires wear faster on pavment and ride rougher too... Sometimes we do 16-20 miles in a day (alot for my big @ss), I think I'd benifit from the smoother less resistant ride...

I have a Mountain Bike (a Trek 3100 or something like that)... It seems to be a pretty heavey duty bike... Sadly, I don't think I can call what I do Mountain biking... I ride a log of paved and semi-paved Bike trails...

I'm actually considering getting another set of rims with thinner smoother tires thats are better suited for the pavement... The more aggressive mudder/knobby tires wear faster on pavment and ride rougher too... Sometimes we do 16-20 miles in a day (alot for my big @ss), I think I'd benifit from the smoother less resistant ride...

Go with the slicks, it'll make a huge difference. They don't even have to be particularly light. I have two very similar bikes, a Redline D460 (the one in the picture above) and a D440. The '460 is set up for dirt, the '440 for street. The '440 is outfitted with 47mm Michelin City Tires. The 47mm size are actually heavier than knobby offroad tires, but they roll very smoothly and efficiently on pavement. They seem to be impervious to flats, even from those evil goathead thorns.

I did a week of mountain biking on Catalina Island with my son a few years back. It beat me to death - sore arms, sore legs, and sore backside. Admitted, I did not prepare for the trip by biking, and I paid the price. In our group of 15, we had several falls, and one resulted in an emergency trip off the island. :D

My preference now is to go into the backcountry on foot.

I used to ride everywhere on my mountain bike years ago. On or off road, it didn't matter.

In November 07 some muppet pulled out nine feet in front of my Suzuki claiming he hadn't seen me. My left knee was shot to pieces after bouncing off his bumper, bonnet and wing so I had to use my right knee for a little over a year which has killed that too. Both knees are now arthritic.

It's been over a decade since I was on my mountain bike properly although I've done a seven and a twelve mile cache hunt recently on it. My problem is in order to pedal more than 100 yards I have to be on Tramadol Hydrochloride for the duration of the ride and the following week.

If your only means of geocaching was by mountain bike, would you continue or not?

I also love mtn biking. mtn biking in the midwest cuz that's where I live! I've ridden Fruita, Co & Moab, Utah and a few other places.

have a TB that what's to ride all the Epic Trails! :D

Would love to have more caching/biking events!

Want to do one in Columbia, Mo. They have great single track trail in Rock Bridge & they have the Katy Trail for a easier ride, great pumpkin beer that comes out on Oct 31st. hmmm should it be a meet & greet?

Would love to see more events that we could bring our bikes & cache!

STP Squirl

As you can tell by my trail name I bike a lot. I ride my bmx bike(sometimes a motorcycle in the desert or my mtn bike sometime) to find my caches. I actually race bmx and the races that are out of town(or country for that matter) we will find caches within that town, or on the way there.

I ride. So far, I've ridden in Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, North Carolina (Tsali is good, Pisgah is better), Utah, Texas, Louisiana, and Hawaii. I don't cache on most of my rides, but I do occasionally mix the two activities. Mountain biking would be my first true love.

I have two bikes - first one is a 2000 Diamondback Topanga Comp that has been purposed as my commuter. I have micro-knobbies because I do have a ~2mi dirt trail on my commute, so straight slicks would not work for me. It's been a solid bike over the years and it's needed very little work. My other bike is my main trail bike - a 2003 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR with lots of upgraded goodies. I love this bike. Hydraulic disc brakes are awesome. Tubeless tires are great. I love full suspension. Bike fits like a glove and it's the bike I've ridden everywhere (except Hawaii...I rode a rental there).

I'm preparing to do some major bearing maintenance this winter. I'm going to service the bearings in my hubs, suspension pivots, bottom bracket, and headset. Mostly just cleaning/greasing, but I think some of my suspension pivot bearings are going out on me. Right now I'm cleaning up the garage so I have a respectable workspace that I can actually use for the work. I got an air compressor for Christmas and I just ordered myself a Craftsman toolbox for the shop. It should make the task go very smoothly.

I started mt biking back in the early nineties while I was in the Army. I rode a Paramount with a Girvin Cross-link fork. My son now rides that. I ride my brothers old Trek ####??. It has a Manitou 4 elastomer shock on it. The guy at the bike shop calls them the "Old Timey bikes." I loved riding off road! Looking back I can't believe some of the crazy rides I made it through.

I haven't ridden much in the last ten years. The kids are interested more in riding now. I'll probably get out more often this spring.

i started trail running this week, cause i need to run for the pt test in the air force, i am really considering a mountain bike, is it ok to buy a wal-mart brand for starters? Im 6'2 220lbs

An excellent article at ConsumerReports.org titled "Cheap bikes are not bargains"

Wal-Mart and Toys “R” Us sell plenty of bikes from brands such as Huffy, Mongoose, Roadmaster, and Schwinn for $100 to $200. They seem like good deals, so why would we advise you to spend $300 or more for a bike in the Ratings (available to subscribers)?

Because you get what you pay for. Mass-market bikes have cheaper construction than higher-priced bikes and can weigh 7 or 8 pounds more. They come in only one size, so you're not likely to get a great fit. And mass merchants can't match bike shops for quality of assembly, expert advice, and service.

In the long run, performance matters most, so we tried out two full-suspension bikes and one front-suspension model from the big-box stores, priced at $120 to $230. Shifting of the full-suspension bikes' 21 speeds wasn't nearly as smooth as on bike-shop models. Shock absorption and handling were fair to decent on pavement and on smooth dirt paths, but these so-called mountain bikes couldn't handle rough off-road terrain. On steep paved roads, the extra weight, poor gearing, and mushy suspensions made pedaling uphill very hard.

The front-suspension model, also with 21 speeds, did much better on pavement and on fairly smooth dirt trails--but only after we adjusted the sloppy setup to make it roadworthy. Plus it comes in only one size, so fit will be hit or miss.

Consider cheaper bikes from a department store only for the most casual adult use, and stick with a front-suspension model, which is likely to be better than a cheap full-suspension bike. You may want a mass-market bike for kids who will outgrow a bike quickly or toss it about.

Still, if your budget allows, we'd recommend that you buy one of the $300 comfort bikes in the Ratings (available to subscribers). You'll get a lot more bike for the buck.

Read a whole thread discussing this here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=30921

But I wouldn't. Buy something decent.