Want to get started caching...

screamin'eagle

We have had this unit since it first came out (we didn't know how much we would enjoy the sport so our first was a very inexpensive unit and wanted something better). We don't use it as much as we used to but it is still going strong and we love it.

You won't be disappointed!!!!

Good unit, but a discontinued one. It was replaced by a model that has far better reception. But if you hold it correctly (flat, face up to the sky) under trees you should get decent reception.

Don't bid too much on it. Used I wouldn't go much over $80, maybe $90 or $100 tops if it's new, in the box. Maybe $130 if it includes topo maps in the bundle and $150 if it includes City Navigator.

Edited by briansnat

I am brand new to this! We haven't been out yet. We have 5 kids, and the youngest just turned one and is now "hiking" in her backpack. There is a good chance we will bein England and Scotland this summer. We live in Colorado. I need to find a good handheld GPS. I have had the Numi 270 recommended. Other suggestions? Please?

And, any other moms of backpack-able kids want to do some caching this spring with me?

I am brand new to this! We haven't been out yet. We have 5 kids, and the youngest just turned one and is now "hiking" in her backpack. There is a good chance we will bein England and Scotland this summer. We live in Colorado. I need to find a good handheld GPS. I have had the Numi 270 recommended. Other suggestions? Please?

And, any other moms of backpack-able kids want to do some caching this spring with me?

I highly recommend the garmin 60csx. It is a workhorse and with kids a lot more durable.

You should be able to get a good price on it as well.

-HHH :laughing:

I've also used the same unit for 3 years ..and resist upgrading to a unit with better contours or a unit with a per month or per year charge, or a unit with re-charge capability or one with more memory for tracks-routes, etc.

Maybe I'll find onna those out on the trail!

Dan

(CachingIn With That Unit A Couple Weeks Ago)

VistadelLaSotellaHike-Cache042.jpg

I'd suggest starting another thread, but the Nuvi is not a handheld unit, it is more suitable for car navigation (and it does that very well). The 270 comes with Euro and American maps IIRC.

If you're getting one primarily for handheld use, the 60csx is a good choice if somewhat expensive - about $300. There are a bunch of eTrex - from about $130 for the Venture HC to mid $200 for some other units with extra features such as electronic compass, barometer, external memory and routing capability.

Edited by Chrysalides