Bad reviews

Hello there I have never posted a question before so here goes........

I have a cache which I placed near a place dear to me, there are some really old trees and it is quite nice, when I placed it, it was free of rubbish and such like. It is next to a main road on one side, but this is blocked out by trees, it is also next to a church hall, and church (but not in the grounds), with some nice flowers etc

to cut a long story short, should you archive a cache if people really hate it and put it down?

I am not too sure,

I think it is because it is in a built up area? There wasn't any rubbish when I placed it, but it apparently has now, I will sort that out when I am down that way next Wednesday, also the log states -

'Great views, good stroll in a pristine environment unspoiled by traffic, just what a good cache should be, unfortunately this one had none of these features.

We have been caching now for 8 years and can honestly say if we had found caches like this when we first stated we would have given up long ago.'

they went on to say

The only redeeming feature is it is a first class location for a CITO, such a pity the cache owner didn't take care of that before placing.

and another log said

I have to just say though that I really don't understand why anyone would want to place a cache here. I found the box amongst all sorts of rubbish and being right next to the road, didn't exactly find it the most pleasant of locations. Sorry to sound negative, but when I started this 6 years ago, you looked forward to finding caches in areas that the placer had deemed to be a nice place to be.

I thought it was a nice place on a small scale, what with the really old trees on both sides of the path,

I thought it was all about all sorts of environments - I know a lot of people who do not have the means to go out into the country side!! Or who don't want to go and find a mirco in a wood! (I do though!!)

I have been to all sorts of caches some really good, and some well I don't know, but I never speak ill of them!

But obviously if its bad should I archive it??

Hello there I have never posted a question before so here goes........

I have a cache which I placed near a place dear to me, there are some really old trees and it is quite nice, when I placed it, it was free of rubbish and such like. It is next to a main road on one side, but this is blocked out by trees, it is also next to a church hall, and church (but not in the grounds), with some nice flowers etc

to cut a long story short, should you archive a cache if people really hate it and put it down?

I am sorry to hear you are getting bad reviews for a cache you have placed in location dear to you, i would say maybe consider archiving it if you are getting bad reviews as you don't want the bad reviews to alter your opinion of the place

To me it sounds like the location may have changed from when you originally placed the cache. Maybe you could sponsor an event that is a CITO?

Looking at the location on Google Earth it appears to be very nice. Any idea who is responsible for cleaning up the trash along that section of road? Maybe you can contact them and see what happens. Maybe purchase a bunch of trash bags and clean it up with some friends?

Maybe archive it temporarily, until it's cleaned up.

Thank you,

I think I have realized that bad reviews wouldn't ever alter what I feel about the place, but what I see of the place, is not what other people immediately see, I do tend to see the world with rose coloured specs sometimes!!

Maybe they can't see the smaller aspects? and only see the negative - but at first it did make me think, why bother putting out caches, when people will just put them down......

I can't get in to geocaching.com at the mo to see whch cache it is due to server busy error. But if it's fly tipping or genral highway rubbish then that is something the council should clear, but they have to know about it first.

So prehaps see if you can get the rubbish cleard first before considering archiveing it.

Edit: just had a look and if it continues to be a problem would you consider moveing it round the corner if you can? Also it looks like it's only the last 2 loggers that seem disaponted so maybe it is only a temporay thing where someone has thoughtlesly dummped some rubbish.

Edited by Hampshire_Hog

I can't get in to geocaching.com at the mo to see whch cache it is due to server busy error. But if it's fly tipping or genral highway rubbish then that is something the council should clear, but they have to know about it first.

So prehaps see if you can get the rubbish cleard first before considering archiveing it.

Edit: just had a look and if it continues to be a problem would you consider moveing it round the corner if you can?

I would have to get permission from the church, which I don't think would be a problem, it is really lovely there when all the flowers are out, and the squirrles are fun to watch, but also the local children play in the church area, and climb the trees, so it might get muggled!

Thank you,

I think I have realized that bad reviews wouldn't ever alter what I feel about the place, but what I see of the place, is not what other people immediately see, I do tend to see the world with rose coloured specs sometimes!!

Maybe they can't see the smaller aspects? and only see the negative - but at first it did make me think, why bother putting out caches, when people will just put them down......

I don't know where the cache is, so my comments can only be very general. What I would say is that if you're getting lots of these, and assuming they are not malicious, then I think it is time to go back and look at the area again. It's always possible that for every log you get that mentions these things, there may be others from people who felt the same but were too polite to say!

But when you go back, make a point of taking off the rose tinteds first. Try to look at it objectively, from the perspective of someone without your previous links to the place. There are so many places to put caches that we don't need to put them in marginal locations. Hopefully it is just some exaggeration by the visitors, but as you say yourself, maybe the site has changed in character since you hid the cache, in which case maybe it can be restored to its former state.

Good luck when you go back, and hoping for a good outcome,

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel

I think there are a couple of things to consider here.

Firstly, I know that you are personally attached to this place but your visitors will have no connection whatsoever, so consider how they would feel based on what they see. Take all of your emotions out of the scenario - if this is your first visit would you think 'wow, this is so special'?

Most people try to be nice in their logs - sometimes too much so. It takes a certain boldness to let people know what you really think but it's not really a dig at the individual, just a different perspective.

I prefer a good walk, some history and beautiful scenery. Other people will be happy with the micro in the shopping centre.

First of all why not organise an impromptu CITO event, buy some black bags and ask people to bring gloves and clear up the immediate area. See if you can get the church involved?

I've read the logs and I don't think they are slating your cache, they are being very honest and pointing out that it isn't nice. I have been to many places where it has been a tip, I have always said what I have felt, and I expect the same from people visiting my caches.

I archived this cache which started to get negative comments. I thought it was a great location when I placed it and it got a lot of good feedback, but 2 1/2 years later it had gone downhill, so it was time to pull the plug.

When placing and maintaining caches you should always ask yourself one simple question, and that question is - If it was the first time I came here would I enjoy hunting for a cache in this location with my family. If your answer is NO then common sense should prevail.

Thanks for the advice - I have disabled the listing, and I will be picking the rubbish up,

The youngest of my children loves to cache anywhere -

The Middle child hates it (because the youngest always finds them)

My eldest just thinks I should grow up!!!!! As if.......

I will be careful about where I place my caches in the future.......

(But sometimes concrete jungles are great!)

Ta

(what a ) muppet

We have found the cache in subject .

It is only a little roadside litter , the usual sort of a few crisp bags and empty drinks containers that get dropped by others ,that alas is no sooner cleared then get replaced by more :laughing: .

(Our home recycling regularly includes can and bottles litter collected while out)

Having written this as part of another cache log we did on same day ,

"We seem to have litter on our minds ,probably something to do with how much we saw in peoples gardens driving from our finds earlier in the day ."

we have since looked afresh around some main road front gardens more local to us

and noticed as much litter in places nearer home .

Our conclusion is we notice more about the environment when we in non-familiar locations.

A few words of advice:

If you've placed a cache in a place that is special to you, you should state why it is special and why you have placed it there. I've found caches in the past in places that were nothing special but the story of why they were placed there made them special to me too. Although the name of your cache and the reference to your daughter's dance school are linked, that link alone is of no interest to anyone not connected with you or your daughter.

Your description mentions nothing about the trees that are special to you - mention them and someone might try this one in daytime rather than a quick night time C&D.

Don't start the description with the type of container and its contents. After all they will only be the contents for the first finder! If you must put them in put them nearer the end.

There's a cache near me that started with a very short description, the first few logs stated that they coulnd't see the significance of why it had been placed there. The cache owner amended the description and the negative comments stopped!

I understand your concerns about placing the cache too near a school, how about using a clue near the trees or maybe on a nearby sign to make it into an offset cache?

Just my 2p worth, hope it helps reduce the negative comments!

Happy caching!

Edited by Lizzzzeeeee

I have not found the cache that Muppetmel mentions nor have I met her.

What I cannot understand is why, when people are seeking a cache and they find that they are in an area that they feel so negative about due to litter, do they persist in the hunt and then log a "find".

If they are so annoyed about the rubbish then why stay there in an unpleasant place sifting through the rubbish to claim a "find"????

The "find" is more important than the rubbish.

Also, I was surprised to read that people who work very close by, and so must be familiar with the litter, have gone to the place to get the "find". We put caches on our "ignore list" if they are in places that we know we will not like.

We do not like litter or similar and in the past when we have realised where the cache is hidden we have walked away, logging a DNF with the reason we did not search for the cache.

Finally, I admire the way that Muppetmel has reacted to the very nasty logs. It would been more civil to have sent a private email.

I have not found the cache that Muppetmel mentions nor have I met her.

What I cannot understand is why, when people are seeking a cache and they find that they are in an area that they feel so negative about due to litter, do they persist in the hunt and then log a "find".

If they are so annoyed about the rubbish then why stay there in an unpleasant place sifting through the rubbish to claim a "find"????

The "find" is more important than the rubbish.

Also, I was surprised to read that people who work very close by, and so must be familiar with the litter, have gone to the place to get the "find". We put caches on our "ignore list" if they are in places that we know we will not like.

We do not like litter or similar and in the past when we have realised where the cache is hidden we have walked away, logging a DNF with the reason we did not search for the cache.

Finally, I admire the way that Muppetmel has reacted to the very nasty logs. It would been more civil to have sent a private email.

I think that they were trying to give some constructive criticism. Some people ignore caches some dont.

Some people comment some dont.

And comments like this let the people following decide whether they want to do the cache.

I know that there was no intention of upsetting the cache owner with these comments.

I think that they were trying to give some constructive criticism. Some people ignore caches some dont.Some people comment some dont. And comments like this let the people following decide whether they want to do the cache.I know that there was no intention of upsetting the cache owner with these comments.
Precisely. I finally closed a cache when one too many 'nappies' was found nearby and duly logged (quite rightly) by finders. In a similar vein I commented recently on an 'ivy' cache in a location with rather too much 'unpleasant' detritus and logged a DNF with a comment that I did not wish to end up in hospital, and abandoned the hunt. Edited by kewfriend

Hi Muppetmel

Sorry that our log has upset you.

To be fair, we have visited some of your other caches and we found them to be in fairly good locations, particularly in view of the fact that they were in urban locations.

In this case, we could see no reason to visit this location, there were no redeeming features.

It is within a few feet of one of the main roads into Southampton, there is no view, no point of interest, no history, or indeed any other reason that I could see to make the site worth visiting.

Yes, it is true that there was quite a display of crocuses in the nearby church, but in a week or two those will be gone.

Over the years we have been caching, we have noticed the steady decline in the quality of the locations that caches are placed in. We hoped that by being honest in our logs, the quality might start to improve again.

It is rare for us to venture into these forums but after being told by a cacher about this thread I felt I had to offer my thoughts.

Again, sorry you were offended by what is our honest opinion.

Just read the cache page and as kennelat79

didn't mention anything then all should be fine,

he would have said if there was a problem :anibad:

Seeing as my name has been mentioned, perhaps I should comment at this point.

The cache is located in some trees/ bushes alongside a busy main road.

With this in mind, I would not have chosen to drive any great distance to visit the cache.

However, I had occasion to pass through the area and decided to treat it as a quick cache and dash.

Arriving on site, I found what I had expected.

A roadside verge covered in food wrappers, empty drink cans, and general household rubbish.

In short, a typical roadside scene in an urban area.

The cache container was in full view when I arrived, and could well have been mistaken for another piece of litter.

After signing the log and replacing the cache, I walked back to my car and fetched 2 carrier bags.

These were used to pick up the obvious litter within a few metres of the cache location, and both were full when I had finished. Any litter subsequently cleared by the cache owner would presumably have accumulated during the week or so since my visit.

I had some trackables on board which were intended to be left in the Southampton area.

However, in view of the general surroundings of this cache, I decided against leaving any valuables here.