Ramblers Association and Geocaching

It's a pity that the only GPS mentioned is a £310 Oregon, this could put off potential cachers who dont realise that you can use a cheap Etrex. B)

True, but the article was aimed at ramblers.

I'd imagine that the author probably (quite reasonably) felt that they are likely to use mapping GPSrs of some form.

In addition, don't forget that the rambling mags (trail, Country Walking etc.) all seem to think that £250 for a jacket ( :lol: ) is normal, if not a bit on the cheap side.... <_<

The new copy of the Ramblers magazine 'walk' has a substantial article about geocaching with lost of quotes from some well-known cachers.

As of this issue it is now available to non-members in all good newsagents (other walking magazines are available).

Have recently read the article and agree it is one of the best pro-geocaching articles published. A lot more detail than last Sunday's Countryfile but no Michaela! Nice to see Pharisee get a mention.

I think Mrs Grizzly means there were lots of quotes and none got lost! :huh:

I received my magazine this week and found the article very interesting. I had seen these plastic boxes in Country walking magazine but never really took any interest. I have since been educated and introduced to the world of Geocaching.

Still deciding on what GPS. Any suggetions of shops in Surrey/Sussex area?

Jo :(

I received my magazine this week and found the article very interesting. I had seen these plastic boxes in Country walking magazine but never really took any interest. I have since been educated and introduced to the world of Geocaching.

Still deciding on what GPS. Any suggetions of shops in Surrey/Sussex area?

Jo :)

Go cheap 1st to see if it's you.

Etrex Yellow should be available at all outdoor shops, Ebay or the internet.

:)

It's a pity that the only GPS mentioned is a £310 Oregon, this could put off potential cachers who dont realise that you can use a cheap Etrex. :laughing:

True, but the article was aimed at ramblers.

I'd imagine that the author probably (quite reasonably) felt that they are likely to use mapping GPSrs of some form.

I regularly walk with a Ramblers group and all the GPS owners use a basic ETrex. I agree that the article suggested that you need 300 quid plus to get started. But it also looks pretty expensive to place your own cache. £2.25 for a logbook and £25.95 for a container? :o

<snip> ... But it also looks pretty expensive to place your own cache. £2.25 for a logbook and £25.95 for a container? :o

:laughing:

Blimey! Where did those figures come from? You can buy a good-quality clip lock container for £2.99 and a small notebook for 99p. Add a small pencil, stash note and a few small swaps (which you can probably find around your house) and you've got a complete cache.

MrsB :)

I regularly walk with a Ramblers group and all the GPS owners use a basic ETrex.

Oops! My bad! :laughing:

All I can say in my defense is that I was going off my perception of the walking fraternity based on Trail Magazine...

Apologies for any hurt,

Mike

Edited by Von-Horst

All I can say in my defense is that I was going off my perception of the walking fraternity based on Trail Magazine...

Apologies for any hurt,

Mike

No hurt at all, no need to apologise.

Walkers, like other groups of people, obviously vary but most that I know use the GPS to log mileage and find pre-defined waypoints. Others probably use them in different ways.

As for caching, I learnt the hobby from a fellow "Rambler" and I find that a basic GPS is fine for me.

Not that I would say no to a 300 quid job if anyone wants to donate one :D

<snip> ... But it also looks pretty expensive to place your own cache. £2.25 for a logbook and £25.95 for a container? :huh:

:mad:

Blimey! Where did those figures come from? You can buy a good-quality clip lock container for £2.99 and a small notebook for 99p. Add a small pencil, stash note and a few small swaps (which you can probably find around your house) and you've got a complete cache.

MrsB :huh:

Honestly, I didn't make it up. :D

The magazine article in question gives 4 things under "The kit":

An Oregon 400t at £310

Groundspeak small cache logbook at £2.25

Pelican cache container at £25.95

And a 2007 Britannia GC at £6.50

No problem with the latter except that in a beginners article it's probably just confusing to suggest that they need to buy a GC.

The thing that worries me is that my non caching friends who read that will expect me to buy the beer now as they think I must be rich :huh::huh::(

This is a slight misquote as immediately below that it says, and I quote - You can use anything watertight for your own geocache container, but this official box is a great way to ensure a cache is long-lasting and well-protected.

It does also state that the logbook is specifically designed and it has waterproof paper.

As for the GPS it does use the Oregon 400T as an example, but in the section 'A Novice's Guide To Geocaching' section one says you can either buy a dedicated GPS handset or use a phone with GPS, (edited briefly but the point is there).

I had to go and Google Pelican cache container to find out what it was... and then discovered we've actually used one for our most recent cache!

We didn't buy it, we were given it as a gift - and it only says "Pelican" on the tag in fairly small writing. It is a very classy container but I had no idea they were so expensive. I shall treat it with due reverence next time we visit it for maintenance! :D

MrsB

This is a slight misquote as immediately below that it says, and I quote - You can use anything watertight for your own geocache container, but this official box is a great way to ensure a cache is long-lasting and well-protected.

It does also state that the logbook is specifically designed and it has waterproof paper.

Misquote? As if :D I just did it the way politicians do and quoted the main headings. :mad:

OK the truth is probably that advertising a cheap container from the 99p shop would have been a bit less classy although closer to the truth.

But I still wonder how many people may be put off by not reading the bits I didn't quote and assuming that it costs a lot.

Mind you, I suppose that cache hiding for a beginner should really be irrelevant? But of course that's another topic altogether...

An Oregon 400t at £310

No problem with the latter except that in a beginners article it's probably just confusing to suggest that they need to buy a GC.

Can I ask what a Britannia GC at £6.50 is I'm new to all this after reading the said article I just got my Legend Hcx yesterday <_<

An Oregon 400t at £310

Can I ask what a Britannia GC at £6.50 is I'm new to all this after reading the said article I just got my Legend Hcx yesterday <_<

In this case the GC stands for geocoin. The Britannia geocoin was produced a couple of years ago - I don't know whether it's still available to purchase.

If you don't know about geocoins, they are trackable coins which you can purchase (from various places) and you can either keep them in a personal collection or put them into a geocache for others to enjoy and move them from cache to cache.

More information on geocoins can be found here: The Groundspeak Geocoin Discussion forum.

MrsB

Mrs. B has answered your question, I just wanted to say welcome and I hope you enjoy the hobby.

I hope the article in Walk encourages people like yourself to give it a go. I have already been approached by another member of my Ramblers group who has been interested by reading it so there must be quite a few out there.