Is this a good idea?

A wasps nest is not a bad idea I have found before and ma planning to create one as well the great thing about wasps is they are territorial and won't build a nest in the area of another. I've had problem with wasps before I put up some fake ones around my property. I haven't seen a wasp near the house in two years.

Bee hive makes a great hiding spot and can be right in the open Muggles and a lot of cachers will stay a way I found one in Manitoba it was a (big wooden hive) and let me tell you it took a while to get up the courage to open it! I kept a close eye on it for bees. The cache page listed it as a Large and it was the only thing close.

I've always wanted to do another but mmy evil mind won't let me do it unless I can hook up a motion detector with a recording of some angry bees. one day...........

I can see it now..... geocacher stung multiple times....ends up in hospital. :D

We have lots of those little pesky wasps out here.

We have to be very careful whenever we are searching thru hot metal and wood storage areas.

They love to fly out in big clumps and attack.

Once you get stung once, the ferramones tell the rest of them what and where to attack.

I'm thinking you should make it VERY obvious which nest is the cache. :D

My vote is BAD IDEA.

I wonder, if you used a real nest, if wasps would move into it? Maybe a wasp expert could say.

If you use a container which could be mistaken for something possibly dangerous, a hint on the cache page would be a good idea. That said, I do like to see "natural" cache containers, and adding something a bit "unnatural," such as a spot of color on it, would help cachers find it and not just skip over it because they didn't want to disturb a real wasp nest.

Edited by The VanDucks
I think if it was obvious it would be OK. I'm also not a fan of fake bird's nests as caches because of what it leads to. I'm not sure why we spend so much time messing with the birds and the bees... :D Edited by TrailGators

We have to be very careful whenever we are searching thru hot metal and wood storage areas.

Once you get stung once, the ferramones tell the rest of them what and where to attack.

My vote is BAD IDEA.

X2!!!!! :D

My vote is BAD IDEA.

But wait....is this any different than placing a cache in an electric box (fake or otherwise)? Wouldn't some say that the chance of being stung is so minimal that those of you complaining of safety are merely alarmists?

So I use a real nest and make it look very real, you're not made to search for it, are you?

What would you say to a nest made to look like a real paper wasp's nest, or other bee's nests? Good idea? Should it be done? Would you be interested in one if I made one and sold it?

There is one like that here in Columbus, GA. Can't remember the GC# for it though.

My vote is BAD IDEA.

But wait....is this any different than placing a cache in an electric box (fake or otherwise)? Wouldn't some say that the chance of being stung is so minimal that those of you complaining of safety are merely alarmists?

So I use a real nest and make it look very real, you're not made to search for it, are you?

I bet some would say that... :D The bottom line is each cacher will have to decide what to do when they see the cache.

"...the great thing about wasps is they are territorial and won't build a nest in the area of another. "

Maybe Canadian wasps are different than around here....I'll just say e.g. inside the louvred exterior outlet of my kitchen stove's vent hood, there's 4 not-small wasp nests right now.

To the OP: do it if you will, far's I'm concerned. I've had the same idea (the using, not the 'selling' part) before; discarded it becuz knowing myself, nearly all "objects" near a cache coordinate automatically catch my eye & attention. Ergo, discarded due to being basically too easy.

Might work on others tho. I know a local bird's nest cache that had some friends bamfoozled for a good while....even tho there's the fakiest-lookin' bird you can ever imagine sittin' inside. I can only wonder about people who can't figure out no bird's gonna be approached without it flying away.

City folks!! :D

:D

~*

"...the great thing about wasps is they are territorial and won't build a nest in the area of another. "

Maybe Canadian wasps are different than around here....I'll just say e.g. inside the louvred exterior outlet of my kitchen stove's vent hood, there's 4 not-small wasp nests right now.

To the OP: do it if you will, far's I'm concerned. I've had the same idea (the using, not the 'selling' part) before; discarded it becuz knowing myself, nearly all "objects" near a cache coordinate automatically catch my eye & attention. Ergo, discarded due to being basically too easy.

Might work on others tho. I know a local bird's nest cache that had some friends bamfoozled for a good while....even tho there's the fakiest-lookin' bird you can ever imagine sittin' inside. I can only wonder about people who can't figure out no bird's gonna be approached without it flying away.

~*

Sorry, you're simply not right here! Never saw a momma bird sitting on her eggs before? Many times, I've walked up and studied birds sitting in their nests (carefully watched and watching doesn't include use of hands or otherwise). Maybe you should give the "city folks" a break! :D

I think it's a good idea, I've seen a cache hidden in a fake cow patty,(also another good idea) like you said It's no different than a fake light switch,fuse,bulb,box, or how about the grass sprinkler I will say I have pulled up the wrong one more than once, so a fake wasp nest I say go for it.

~*

It's because they are related colonies.

... Maybe you should give the "city folks" a break! :D

Well, in all fairness, I guess I do owe 'em the benefit of a doubt.

So, for said folk, a short field guide:

FAKE BIRD:

2972475810_a8861d35a0.jpg

FAKE BIRD:

Picture047.jpg

FAKE BIRD:

1280.jpg

FAKE BIRD:

234502180_tp.jpg

FAKE BIRD:

bc0b_2.JPG

FAKE BIRD:

IMG_1586_small.jpg

FAKE BIRD:

IMG_1294.jpg

FAKE BIRD:

7490_2.JPG

FAKE BIRD:

IMG_1791_small.jpg

And finally, for the OP: BUSINESS MODEL

Live, long, & prosper.

~*

... Maybe you should give the "city folks" a break! :D

Well, in all fairness, I guess I do owe 'em the benefit of a doubt.

So, for said folk, a short field guide:

Live, long, & prosper.

~*

Maybe knowing what you're talking about before poking fun is a good idea, saves face in the end! :D

I can see it now..... geocacher stung multiple times....ends up in hospital. :)

I'm thinking you should make it VERY obvious which nest is the cache. :)

My vote is BAD IDEA.

ph... not fe ;)

So I head out to find your cache. As I'm searching the trees, or bushes I see the wasps' nest. I quickly retreat.

then I look to see if there are any wasps flying around. but just to be sure, I stand farther back and throw rocks at the nest. I put one right throught the nest and no wasps attack me.

Yeah! I just found the cache. I also just ruined you work. Sorry.

So I head out to find your cache. As I'm searching the trees, or bushes I see the wasps' nest. I quickly retreat.

then I look to see if there are any wasps flying around. but just to be sure, I stand farther back and throw rocks at the nest. I put one right throught the nest and no wasps attack me.

Yeah! I just found the cache. I also just ruined you work. Sorry.

Having spent a lot of years in the woods as a land surveyor, I can assure you that this is NOT a good practice. Only certain types of creatures make a large paper nest in a tree. One of those is a White Faced Hornet. The sting from them is like getting stabbed with a red hot ice pick, and several at the same time WILL land the average person in a hospital. This is ussually the result of their ability to sense the direction that an attack came from, and the immediate and persistant retaliation of the hive when attacked. They are know to actually follow the exact path of a projectile thrown at the nest. From that point, the scouts sense the smell of fear in your pheremones. They in turn alarm the soldiers. Then they will come at you swifty, angrily, and in great numbers. Good advice from one who's been there . . . DO NOT THROW OBJECTS AT A LARGE HANGING PAPER TYPE OF NEST! One other note: Hornets nest's are rarely as active as a honey bee nest. You may not even think a hornet next is occupied by first observation. Watch it for a bit longer, and you may notice a very sporadic coming and going of the occupants. I've yet to see the contents of a cache worth chancing an encounter with hornets. Could make for the greatest cache that only a rare few bold people ever log. :ph34r:

BTW - I had a honey bee infestation in the wall of my house at one time. The exterminator assured me that bees, wasps and hornets are very different animals indeed. If you are dealing with honey bees, they will release a pheremone when killed that indicates danger to all other honey bees. That is why no two hives ever exist in the same spot after one another. If the hive dies because of attack, poison or the like, the location is marked as off limits forever according to my exterminator. I'm pretty sure it's only for as long as the pheremone scent lasts though. But I don't know how long that is either.

If you are going to mess with ANY type of hive, I'd suggest getting all the information you can on the type of insect you are dealing with. It would be a shame to have some innocent little kid rush in ahead of Mom & Dad, only to find the hive had become active again, resulting in an unpleasant situation at the least, and possibly a lethal/fatal situation at the worst. Is a game worth taking that chance? I know it's not for someone who is allergic to stings. But there is always someone bold enough to rush in to any situation for the glory of the find.