How did you.......?

How did everyone here become involved in caching.

My family and I learned of caching while I was looking for a new GPS last summer. Thena friend of my ife told her about it a week or so later. We went looking for our first one a day or so later but did not find, well not taking the DNF well my son and I set out again the next day and looked until we found it. Now we are hooked although his baseball ambitions keep us from caching as much as we would like. If this post or topic is out of line sorry Jjust curious how everyone got involved.

My sister told me about it in an e-mail. Her and her daughter had been geocaching for a few months and loved it. She sent me a link, and since she was coming out the following month for a wedding, she suggested I go along with her on a few local finds and try it out.

We found 4 hides, but all it took was the first one and I was hopelessly hooked! :D

First heard about it early summer of '08 from a friend who contribute to a newsletter I edit (World Watch One Underground Edition for Buckaroo Banzai). Months later my father told me he'd been introduced to the game from his motorhome group, he had a GPS. By fall, a light bulb went off inside my head and I thought, what a fun thing that would be to do with me father. So we started going out as many Sundays as we could. I eventually bought my own GPR so I could do the game when we aren't going out together and when we do, it's interesting to compare notes between the units.

First heard about it early summer of '08 from a friend who contribute to a newsletter I edit (World Watch One Underground Edition for Buckaroo Banzai). Months later my father told me he'd been introduced to the game from his motorhome group, he had a GPS. By fall, a light bulb went off inside my head and I thought, what a fun thing that would be to do with me father. So we started going out as many Sundays as we could. I eventually bought my own GPR so I could do the game when we aren't going out together and when we do, it's interesting to compare notes between the units.

I stumbled accross my first GeoCache *accidentally*, whilst out on a walk.

Something (I don't know what) made me look under the roots of an old fallen-down tree. My mate thought I was bonkers, digging around for no apparent reason. After moving some rocks i discovered a tupperware box full of tat. I opened it and read the accompanying note, and was excited straight away. I wrote in the log book (was that bad form?) and on my return to my computer I logged it, and ordered a Garmin Venture.

Whilst waiting for it to arrive, I've tried to hunt another one near where I live, but with no luck. I cant wait for my GPSr to arrive!

I'd heard about geocaching years ago (don't know where) and have had it in the back of my mind ever since. Last year I could have used one during a search and rescue operation and just last week I finally got around to purchasing one. Now I just need to get out and start looking.

We had been using a car GPS which my husband bought when one of our daughters was going off to college two states away and we wanted to be able to find our way along the back roads back and forth from her college. A few years later, I read an article in the newspaper about geocaching. I showed it to my husband, thinking it might be fun to try. (We soon realized that we needed to buy a hand held unit to actually be able to find caches, of course.) This coincided with our youngest child going off to college. Faced with a bit of "empty-nest syndrome", we found that geocaching kept us busy and active on the weekends, and with the added bonus of being able to cache when we traveled. We are both in our early sixties, still fully employed, and caching a few weekends every month. Geocaching is such a great way to be active, mentally and physically, at any age! We also have placed a number of our own caches, and we enjoy the challenge of coming up with creative hides in our local area, which is very cache-saturated! :D

I heard about it a good while back and thought it was interesting, but didn't think about really getting into it at the time. Well, I'm in a gaming clan on my 360 (yep gaming nerd here too) and a clansmate (not the bad kind of clan) was sharing his story about doing it with his son and it got me hooked. We haven't started yet, but we're about to buy our first GPS and supplies to get started.

Short story: my ladyfriend does it, turnt me on to it, & the rest is history.

I did get a good followup story out of it tho.

A few years ago I's visiting my ol' hometown....and they have a good art supply store I made a habit of visiting to re-stock a few items every time I's in town. On one such trip, my sis (who lives there) was riding with me. As we neared a bank she suddenly asked me to pull in there. Nothing unusual about that - I thought she needed to use the ATM or something. I did, then came the weird part - she said "Park by that flagpole", which was almost across the parking lot from the entrance/ATM etc. Then came the really weird part -- she got out & started looking around the base of the flagpole, lifted the skirt on it & looked underneath, then got back in my car. Of course I, "What the heck was that all about?" & she just said "Don't worry about it - I's just looking for something that's supposed to be there." Since we'd been in mid-conversation about something else before turning into the bank, we resumed that & it slipped from my mind.

Fast forward a couple years....and I'm now into geocaching. While visiting my sis I mentioned I needed to run by the art store, & suddenly remembered the 'bank act'. I reminded her of it, then gave her a sing-songy "I know what you were do-o-o-i-i-i-ing!!" and we both had a great laugh.

~*

My girlfriend (MoxieBramble on the site) was the one that introduced me to the idea of geocaching. I have to say the thought of hidden treasures all around me was very intriguing (especially for someone who spent a good portion of their childhood in the woods searching for whatever might be out there). Our beginnings were very humble, but also very successful. Using nothing but a TomTom we found our first in a massive snow storm (I'm talking serious blinding snowfall here), and went out again that very same night. Through the woods we traveled in pitch black, sub-zero temperatures to find our second. And as I said, all that was without a proper GPS device. We just used the satellite feature on the TomTom and moved around until the coords matched.

It was an awesome learning experience, but its now even easier with our Garmin eTrex Vista HCx leading the way :D

I first heard about geocaching about 6 years ago while my wife and I were sitting at the dentist office. There was a little girl maybe 7-8 years old and her Dad talking about it. The little girl struck up a conversation with my and was explaining geocaching to her. I was sort of half listening and reading a magazine. Then for Christmas of 2007 my wife bought me a Nuvi for the truck. After using it a while it intrigued me, so I decided to research how they worked. Thats when I read about geocaching. Knowing I had a two week vacation coming up, I ordered a 60csx. On 8/13/08 I made my first find yesterday I found my 348th. Needless to say I'm hooked. Met a lot of great people and the excercise isn't hurting me either. If only work didn't cut into my caching time. :D

I read an article in Jeep Magazine about 3 years ago. It sounded cool but I had no GPS. We do a fare amount of RVing and a year and a half ago some fellow campers asked us to go caching. The whole family was hooked. For X-mas that year the wife got me an e-trex and we did our first cache the next day.

One of the guys I used to carpool with caches, and one day, he had a borrowed Garmin GPSMap60CSx in the car, and I asked what all the treasure chests where on the screen. I had no idea there where so many caches, and that intrigued me. A few weeks later, we got together on a weekend and with the help of one of his GPS units, I found my first cache. Spent the next week or two doing research, bought my Legend HCx, and kept slowly building my find count. Weather is starting to get nice enough to get back out there now, time to go give the PN-40 it's first geo-run!