How to manage PQ's?

I am pretty new to all this, and am wondering how all of you do it. Right now when I receive a PQ I open it with GSAK and it saves all the caches, then I plug in my Oregon and "send to GPS" and thats really about it. Works pretty well, just wondering how i'm supposed to get all the "found" caches off my unit. It will eventually fill up and i'd kindof like to keep it cleaned out. Thanks in advance for any help, John

I don't have your GPS model, so take this with a grain of salt. But with all the GPS's I have had my practice was to delete all the existing geocache data on the GPS and then install the fresh data from GSAK (or directly from the pocket query). That way I could be sure I had the most recent data available, and I wouldn't get stung or crowded by any stale cache data (e.g., an archived cache that my GPS still thought was active).

I too like to clean all of the cache waypoints off of my gpsr and then load it with fresh data. There are a few ways to filter out your found caches BEFORE you send the data to your gpsr. The easiest is to specify in your pq that you want only caches that you haven't found. That way when you load it into GSAK, you don't need to filter them out.

You'll want to do the very same thing you already did.

Use a new pq and gsak whenever you are getting ready to go caching.

In that way you will dump out the old caches you already found, and any caches that have been archived will be off your gps too. No sense hunting for caches that are gone.

With that unit you really do not need GSAk at all. Just drop the GPX result of a PQ directly onto the Oregon into the [drive]:\garmin\gpx folder while it is connected and off you go. Be sure you change the profile to the geocaching profile. Delete that file and drop on a new PQ the next time you go out and the unit will not be cluttered up at all.

With that unit you really do not need GSAk at all. Just drop the GPX result of a PQ directly onto the Oregon into the [drive]:\garmin\gpx folder while it is connected and off you go. Be sure you change the profile to the geocaching profile. Delete that file and drop on a new PQ the next time you go out and the unit will not be cluttered up at all.

This is what I do with my Oregon.

Ok, so what do i delete? I opened my folder filepath oregon/garmin/gpx and theres about 50 little files in gpx format. Theres also 2 folders named "current" and "Temp". I just dont want to delete my regular waypoints. And then what do I do with the new PQ? I clicked on the zip file and it was opened with winace, there were 2 files there. The seven digit PQ number XXXXXXX.gpx and the other was the same seven numbers then .wpts.gpx Do I simply drag one of those (or both) into the gpx folder on my unit? Thank you all for your help and patience.

Ok, so what do i delete? I opened my folder filepath oregon/garmin/gpx and theres about 50 little files in gpx format. Theres also 2 folders named "current" and "Temp". I just dont want to delete my regular waypoints. And then what do I do with the new PQ? I clicked on the zip file and it was opened with winace, there were 2 files there. The seven digit PQ number XXXXXXX.gpx and the other was the same seven numbers then .wpts.gpx Do I simply drag one of those (or both) into the gpx folder on my unit? Thank you all for your help and patience.

current is your current track

temp are the waypoints.

You want to the files with pq numbers.

On that unit, geocaches are just a special type of POI, and like other POIs, are stored on the card. Real waypoints are stored in the unit's main memory. You can't accidentally delete them via the USB Mass Drive.

You are getting some bad informaiton. This is correct info.

You first mistake is using send to GPS in GSAK. Do NOT do that!

First thing delete all the GPX files on your GPS, (Current and temp leave alone)

GSAK allows you to accumulate logs (PQs only have 5), have corrected coordiantes, user notes, and change the cache type (I like to change a ? to a traditional when I have solved it so I can easily see which caches I can hunt.) But if you do not want to use these features, you can just put the PQ (both of the files you mention) on the GPS. When you run a new PQ replace it-the new PQ will not have your found caches. The GPS will read the PQ to load the caches.

If yoiu use GSAK, there are some macros you can get that will help. But to load the caches on the GPS from GSAK, CTRL G, Make sure use defaults is selcted, give the path to your gps and have a file name like geocache.gpx.

If you are already using GSAK then this macro "ColoradoExportBeta.gsk" will make things so easy.

It lets you export child waypoints and found caches as POI's clearing up space for your 2000 cache limit.

Get it here http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=...amp;#entry71874

I have a default database and let it overwrite the one that is there by using the same name.

If I happen to load another database or a few caches by hand from the cache page those I browse to and delete while the GPS is connected via mass storage mode to the PC.

You will also want to read here http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/

Hello, I have been geocaching since August 2008 and I still download one at a time. Can someone direct me to the right area to learn (basic please because I am not a techno wiz) how do do pocket queries and get them loaded. I have a Colorado and although it works very well I am sure I am not utilizing it wholly. Please help someone please. <_<

If you are already using GSAK then this macro "ColoradoExportBeta.gsk" will make things so easy.

It lets you export child waypoints and found caches as POI's clearing up space for your 2000 cache limit.

Get it here http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=...amp;#entry71874

I have a default database and let it overwrite the one that is there by using the same name.

If I happen to load another database or a few caches by hand from the cache page those I browse to and delete while the GPS is connected via mass storage mode to the PC.

You will also want to read here http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/

The ColoradoExportBeta macro (which also works on the Oregon) is awesome.

With two mouse clicks, GSAK takes the 1800 (I chose that number) unfound closest caches to my house and loads them onto my Oregon. It also takes all the associated child waypoints and creates custom POI's for them using the cache name instead of some un-useable code like AK12I8PK. It puts all the child waypoints into separate databases for parking, trailhead, stages etc. AND.......it also creates a Found database of POI's for all of my found caches.

Nothing could be easier.

Hi

I am failrly new to this as well

on my colorado which works the same as the oregon.

if you use windows explorer to find the drive route of the gps, then open the garmin file you will see a file named "visits"or similar this file holds the found files you wish to delete, open it and it shows the field notes made for your finds, just highlight then and hit the delete key and they are gone.

i also use this method to delete the gpx files from the the unit to clean it up every month or so.

you can access the field note on geocaching.com to up load your finds and any field note you have made which i find usefull, follow the tutorial on the site its useful

Hope this helps.

Peter