going paperless

I don't know if this is the right area of the forums to ask... but here goes anyhow. Please tell me if it's not, and tell me what the right area is.

I'm really considering going paperless, and I'd like to use CacheMate, and I'd like to use a Palm. I was wondering if the IIIc would work, mostly because I can get it cheaply on eBay, but now I know that it will (from other sources) and now I am wondering if the Palm Centro cell phone will work with CacheMate, I am due for an upgrade on my cell phone and I'm considering that, I can kill two birds with one stone there, I don't like Windows Mobile, under any circumstances whatsoever. To anyone that has this setup already, is this a good idea? Would I probably like it? Would I like having a IIIc and a separate cell phone better? (I'm really on the fringe with this)

Thanks

I don't know if this is the right area of the forums to ask... but here goes anyhow. Please tell me if it's not, and tell me what the right area is.

I'm really considering going paperless, and I'd like to use CacheMate, and I'd like to use a Palm. I was wondering if the IIIc would work, mostly because I can get it cheaply on eBay, but now I know that it will (from other sources) and now I am wondering if the Palm Centro cell phone will work with CacheMate, I am due for an upgrade on my cell phone and I'm considering that, I can kill two birds with one stone there, I don't like Windows Mobile, under any circumstances whatsoever. To anyone that has this setup already, is this a good idea? Would I probably like it? Would I like having a IIIc and a separate cell phone better? (I'm really on the fringe with this)

Thanks

My daughter has a 600 or 680 and cachemate works fine with that. The IIIc is a nice unit, great for geocaching, but if your going to buy something off of ebay look at a M125 or a M500. The M500's last time I looked were quite a bit cheaper. I find the LCD screens are better in the sun than the color screens. The one disadvantage I see with the IIIc is the serial data transfer, that is getting harder on today's computers. One last thought, if you have a 64 bit Vista computer you will find that the hot sync doesn't work. You will need a unit with a SD card to work with 64 bit Vista. I have not tried it but others claim the serial interface works as does the bluetooth. But both are a challenge with the M's and the bluetooth is a challenge for the IIIc.

Jim

Before purchasing your device based GPS assisting program, take a look at all of them and of course give it a real try before buying. I have licenses both Cachemate and another application, and Cachemate is not my primary choice.

What is the other application that is your primary choice?

Before purchasing your device based GPS assisting program, take a look at all of them and of course give it a real try before buying. I have licenses both Cachemate and another application, and Cachemate is not my primary choice.

and of course the programs are tied to hardware that the person asking the question does not have. So how is one to try the programs before buying if you don't have the hardware to run them on?

And I have to ask the question, for a person that has been a member for two months and has found a grand total of ZERO caches, one has to wonder how much experience you have using various programs for paperless caching.

Jim

Edited by jholly

and of course the programs are tied to hardware that the person asking the question does not have. So how is one to try the programs before buying if you don't have the hardware to run them on?

And I have to ask the question, for a person that has been a member for two months and has found a grand total of ZERO caches, one has to wonder how much experience you have using various programs for paperless caching.

Jim

I don't have yet, I'm really trying to decide between a IIIc + CacheMate and then some other phone, or between a Palm Centro + CacheMate, or Palm Centro + Plucker. Plucker (which I'd never even heard of until an hour ago) is starting to look really good, so much so that I have to wonder why anyone would use CacheMate.

Edited by DukeOfURL01

Plucker (which I'd never even heard of until an hour ago) is starting to look really good, so much so that I have to wonder why anyone would use CacheMate.

Because I like to write my logs in the field and then run cachematelogging when I get home to make the logging easier. I don't think you can log with Plucker and will need to keep a separate notepad for notes/logs.

Jim

Jim, there are those of us who participate in a limited sense. I have not the slightest interest in logging finds, the interest lies in a different area. The use of the GPS is not only recreational, but also work related. It sees more use in that area that geocaching. My interest in geocaching has increased a bit, hence after my 3 day suspension I went ahead and became a "premium" member, though I do wise to not become one who slams those who are not as active as you.

In the PPC world, I have tried more than 2 and less than 10 applications. My Touch Pro is used more for work related functions and when it comes to geocaching, it is used to hold cache listings on the island. Again, I do not use my devices in the same manner as you and I do not have the same interests as you.

Thank you.

Jim

Jim

I don't have yet, I'm really trying to decide between a IIIc + CacheMate and then some other phone, or between a Palm Centro + CacheMate, or Palm Centro + Plucker. Plucker (which I'd never even heard of until an hour ago) is starting to look really good, so much so that I have to wonder why anyone would use CacheMate.

Plucker shows you a static cache page only. CacheMate shows you the information from the page, lets you edit it, add notes, etc., and has a feature to allow you to record the find along with date, time and notes. The logs can be exported to your Palm's Memo section where they can be processed by GSAK or synced with your Palm Desktop aplication. After a long day of caching, having a list of the caches that I have found, on my desktop, is very beneficial.

As far as what device to use? My biggest factor is expense. I mostly do hiking caches. The time that I fell and sat on my Palm VIIx and crushed the screen really made me mad, but in the end, I had purchased two of them off of eBay for a total of $30, so it wasn't that big of a deal.

I have a Palm Centro with Cachemate on it. I recently upgraded phones from a Palm Treo 650. I really like the Cache Mate function on it and should I need further information about the cache I can easily connect with the internet and check the cache page.

So to have 1 piece of equipment in the field for phone, information and internet has proven to be invaluable.

I have never heard of Plucker, you may see that many use Cachemate. ( I was at a Geotech event this weekend, Plucker never came up during the seminar)

So if you are at an event or with a group of cachers you may be able to get further useful information on the Cachemate program that Plucker.

That said, I am going to look at the Plucker app just to familiarize myself with it a bit.

Just to throw in a bit of a curveball and some ooptions for the OP to consider.... you mention a total dislike for a Windows Mobile phone but say nothing about Symbian... have you considered a Nokia GPS phone?

I am using the Nokia N82 together with Geocache Navigator (which is free on Nokia phones) for geocaching. I also have Garmin XT loaded for day to day satellite navigation while driving (as well as the preloaded Nokia Maps). I find this setup works perfectly for paperless caching. When we are in an area and get the urge to cache I load up the app and have access to all the nearest caches together with previous logs, hints and everything else I may need. It also allows you to log caches but you will need to log onto geocaching.com later to add a "story" to this log.

I do not doubt everyone has their favourite but I just thought I'd add another option for you to consider :laughing:

I know you have a dislike for Windows pda but here's what I use...

First off I don't run Windows on my computer... Ubuntu only... and do not like Windows Mobile either... but...

I'm using a Dell Axim X5 PDA with Windows PocketPC OS with BeelineGPS software and a GlobalSat BC-337 SiRF III Compac Flash GPS.

I copy the gpx files and cab installer (for Beeline or whatever) to an SD card and put that in the PDA to import the caches into Beeline. Use Beeline to find the cache, mark it found or not found, make notes, etc.

Works great. The GPS with SiRF III chipset is awesome and cuts through most brush to keep a signal. Also only cost about $80. Works better than my friends non SiRF III handheld GPS.

Only issues I have are when it is raining or wet out. I use the pda inside of a large baggie to keep it dry ... otherwise the touchscreen quits working until it dries out.

Geoshine is a free paperless application that runs on Java enabled phones.

Also remember that WM Cachemate has many additional features to the Palm version.

I've never heard of geoshine, I'll check it out, the phone I have right now runs java

what does the WM cachemate do that the palm one does not?

I need some techy help. I have downloaded cachemate for my new smartphone (samsung omnia) and have unzipped each file, but I can't for the life of me get it to install and/or open it. I am probably missing something simple. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I need some techy help. I have downloaded cachemate for my new smartphone (samsung omnia) and have unzipped each file, but I can't for the life of me get it to install and/or open it. I am probably missing something simple. Any suggestions?

Thanks

What you have to do is not unzip the files, transfer the entire .cab file over, and then run the "program manager" on the smartphone, aim it at the .cab file, and run it, that will install cachemate.

That's what I did, and it installed just fine, but now I can't figure out how to use it. I found an old thread that mentions a readme.htm file, but that did not come with mine, and I can find it. The cachemate site is kind of sparse on documentation.

Thanks

What you have to do is not unzip the files, transfer the entire .cab file over, and then run the "program manager" on the smartphone, aim it at the .cab file, and run it, that will install cachemate.

That's what I did, and it installed just fine, but now I can't figure out how to use it. I found an old thread that mentions a readme.htm file, but that did not come with mine, and I can find it. The cachemate site is kind of sparse on documentation.

Do you have another program that you use instead of cachemate?

Thanks

Do you have another program that you use instead of cachemate?

Nope. I've been meaning to try out a couple others, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I still haven't even figured out how to use cachemate yet (but I haven't spend much time at it either)

I use the combination of cachemate and a palm TX and had a great run with it. Paperless is all that it is cracked up to be and the combination was easy to use and very very handy until ........................ my old computer died and I switched over to my wife's laptop which runs a 64 bit system, what ever that means, and now I can't get my palm to sync with my computer so cachemate and the palm are on the back burner until I get this figured out.

Ron

I use the combination of cachemate and a palm TX and had a great run with it. Paperless is all that it is cracked up to be and the combination was easy to use and very very handy until ........................ my old computer died and I switched over to my wife's laptop which runs a 64 bit system, what ever that means, and now I can't get my palm to sync with my computer so cachemate and the palm are on the back burner until I get this figured out.

Ron

see this post, see this FAQ.

Jim

Edited by jholly

I had been happily and successfully using Cachemate (registered) on a Sony PDA (Palm OS). Then, during a long period of inactivity, the battery in the PDA died, and I lost all applications and data on the PDA. At the same time my computer died, and I "upgraded" to a new computer with Vista 64 bit. I have been able to install Cachemate via Memory stick. I had previously been loading caches via Memory Stick, so I can do that.

My problem is that I have been unable to register Cachemate. When I enter my registration code in the PDA, I get a message "invalid registration code". This is apparently due to the fact that the PDA has lost its HotSync identity. I contacted Smittyware, and got some unapealing options.

Is there anyway I can get Cachemate registered on my PDA without being able to HotSync?

If not, is there alternative software that I can use without HotSyncing? Before Cachemate, I did use Plucker. Cachemate was a big improvement (at least for me) but I guess I could go back to Plucker.

Thanks greatly for any ideas.

Tom

PS- As you might have guessed, I am not a techie, so simple would be excellent! :(

Jim

I had been happily and successfully using Cachemate (registered) on a Sony PDA (Palm OS). Then, during a long period of inactivity, the battery in the PDA died, and I lost all applications and data on the PDA. At the same time my computer died, and I "upgraded" to a new computer with Vista 64 bit. I have been able to install Cachemate via Memory stick. I had previously been loading caches via Memory Stick, so I can do that.

My problem is that I have been unable to register Cachemate. When I enter my registration code in the PDA, I get a message "invalid registration code". This is apparently due to the fact that the PDA has lost its HotSync identity. I contacted Smittyware, and got some unapealing options.

Is there anyway I can get Cachemate registered on my PDA without being able to HotSync?

If not, is there alternative software that I can use without HotSyncing? Before Cachemate, I did use Plucker. Cachemate was a big improvement (at least for me) but I guess I could go back to Plucker.

Thanks greatly for any ideas.

Tom

PS- As you might have guessed, I am not a techie, so simple would be excellent! :(

Jim

I'm aware of two utilities, palmname and changename. I have not tried either utility.

Jim

Hi, ok I looked but didn't find the answer to this: I have anew Palm centro that I got with my verizon upgrade. I have 30 days to either keep it or trade it, so I am thinking about trading it for a Blackberry, curve or what ever, is there a big enough difference between the 2 that I should even bother. This is the first smart phone I have had so I really don't know which is better. I have cachemate and it is ok and was wondering if cacheberry is alot better or about the same. Any info would help. I don't really need it for the gps but for paperless .I under stand Blackberry verizon isn't supported, but the Centro doesn't have a gps funtion either. I have a Garmen legend HCx for that. Thanks for any info on this.

Also remember that WM Cachemate has many additional features to the Palm version.

I've never heard of geoshine, I'll check it out, the phone I have right now runs java

It integrates with your GPSr (show nearest cache and navigate to cache), tracks TBs, has various plug-ins including one for SpoilerSync, allows you to record voice logs.

I'm sure there are loads more differences too.

It integrates with your GPSr (show nearest cache and navigate to cache), tracks TBs, has various plug-ins including one for SpoilerSync, allows you to record voice logs.

I'm sure there are loads more differences too.

Google has let me down! :rolleyes: I can only find references to it in other forums. Where do you get Geoshine from?

Hi, ok I looked but didn't find the answer to this: I have anew Palm centro that I got with my verizon upgrade. I have 30 days to either keep it or trade it, so I am thinking about trading it for a Blackberry, curve or what ever, is there a big enough difference between the 2 that I should even bother. This is the first smart phone I have had so I really don't know which is better. I have cachemate and it is ok and was wondering if cacheberry is alot better or about the same. Any info would help. I don't really need it for the gps but for paperless .I under stand Blackberry verizon isn't supported, but the Centro doesn't have a gps funtion either. I have a Garmen legend HCx for that. Thanks for any info on this.

I use a Verizon Blackberry with an application called Cacheberry ($15). It is really cool. I can upload my PQs to the BB and keep track of caches within the application. I can see description, hints, logs, and other information listed on each caches page.

Coupled with the use of http://coord.info and wap.geocaching.com I can log on the website straight from the cache and post my finds from the GZ (if I have cell coverage), if I wish.

My BB does have a GPS receiver, but at this time it only works with the default Blackberry Maps application. Other apps like googlemaps, GPSed and Trimble will not work with it because Verizon has them locked out.

Aside from that, I can achieve true paperless caching between my GPS and my BB, though I still carry a pen and notepad around, just in case I need it.

I am cheap. Since the OP has a pocket PC he could use my cheap way. I installed GPX view on my pocket PC. This is a piece of software that lets you read GPX files. It has little or no editing abilities other than being able to sort from the closest to the farthest away.

All you need to do at this point is drag the GPX file from your pocket query onto your Pocket PC. You will need to unzip the file first if you receive your pocket queries zipped. You will be abe to read the cache page , the last 5 logs and the hint if you wish.

This is free so you can;t get much cheaper than that.

:rolleyes:

I've been using Cachemate with Palms (first a Zire 71, now a Z22) for years, and it's been great. I was surprised to see "SearchJaunt" mentioned a problem displaying spoilers; I looked at his blog and he was talking about viewing photographs. Perhaps that's a popular way of giving hints in Belgium, but I've only run into text-based hints here in California, and Cachemate is able to decrypt those just fine. I mostly look for benchmarks these days, and my Z22 can easily hold thousands of those in Cachemate.

Patty

Google has let me down! :) I can only find references to it in other forums. Where do you get Geoshine from?

Works better when it's spelled right. :blink: One of those other forums referred to it as Geoshrine as well as Geoshine, and that led me to the Geoshrine web site. Haven't tried it yet but probably will. My Palm m515 is a boat anchor since I went to Vista64 (though I note the workarounds mentioned here, which I may yet pursue but which are looking a bit too funky given my limited time).

My phone is small, a Sony Ericsson Z520a, but it does run Java, which is required for Geoshrine. That may take some time because the only thing I've loaded onto the phone is a single mp3 file to use as a ring tone. Loading an application ... gotta figure that out. Anyone have an 8yo kid to lend me?

Edward

First off I don't run Windows on my computer... Ubuntu only... and do not like Windows Mobile either... but...

I'm using a Dell Axim X5 PDA with Windows PocketPC OS with BeelineGPS software and a GlobalSat BC-337 SiRF III Compac Flash GPS.

I copy the gpx files and cab installer (for Beeline or whatever) to an SD card and put that in the PDA to import the caches into Beeline. Use Beeline to find the cache, mark it found or not found, make notes, etc.

Works great. The GPS with SiRF III chipset is awesome and cuts through most brush to keep a signal. Also only cost about $80. Works better than my friends non SiRF III handheld GPS.

Only issues I have are when it is raining or wet out. I use the pda inside of a large baggie to keep it dry ... otherwise the touchscreen quits working until it dries out.

I've got an Axim X50v which I've loved using for taking the cache pages along paperlessly. The idea of putting a GPS receiver and software in it is very attractive. Thanks for pointing me to the BC-337 and BeelineGPS - they look great. Do you also use your Axim for turn-by-turn driving? If so, what software do you use or recommend?

I made a mistake it is a palm M105 never did like this computer stuff. So if it does work all i need then is GSAK and cachemagnet right./quote]

Whether the M105 will work depends a lot on your computer. What OS are you running? Do you have a serial port?

If you're running XP 32 bit and you have a serial port, you're in luck. Otherwise, it may still work, but I don't have first hand knowledge (I'm using an even older Palm Vx).

You need Palm Desktop 4.1.4. The application I use for the Palm is Cachemate, but there are others available. GSAK can export directly to a file that Palm Desktop will transfer to the Palm when you hotsync, and when you start Cachemate it will pick it up.

have to ask, why the hate for winmo? im running a HTC Touch Pro with the GPS unlocked and with the nav programs i use it works wonderfully. dont get me wrong, i started off with a palm but it had its limits and i just tossed it in a drawer. the new wm based PPC's can do so much out of the box and with a little modding there hard to beat.

I've got an Axim X50v which I've loved using for taking the cache pages along paperlessly. The idea of putting a GPS receiver and software in it is very attractive. Thanks for pointing me to the BC-337 and BeelineGPS - they look great. Do you also use your Axim for turn-by-turn driving? If so, what software do you use or recommend?

yes, I use TomTom on it and it works great.

Only complaint I have with that is if you do a search for all restaurants in the area for example, the font is so big that it cuts off part of the name, but to tell you the truth I've only done that once so haven't even looked to see if I can decrease the font size.

have to ask, why the hate for winmo? im running a HTC Touch Pro with the GPS unlocked and with the nav programs i use it works wonderfully. dont get me wrong, i started off with a palm but it had its limits and i just tossed it in a drawer. the new wm based PPC's can do so much out of the box and with a little modding there hard to beat.

Actually, I don't hate Windows mobile as much as I have a dislike for Windows OS. I run Linux on my computer so it makes it a little tougher for syncing my Windows based PDA.

So, has anyone here successfully used Geoshrine? I got it loaded onto my Sony-Ericsson Z520a, got a GPX file onto it, but when I tried to import the GPX into Geoshrine, the app locked up in the file open dialog. Posted on the Geoshrine site but got no response.

Edward

I didn't see an answer for this, and I hope you still have time left in your trial to consider my post.

Considering that Palm has scrapped their old OS in favor of Web OS in the up an coming Palm devices, I would not care for an OS that will not be updated, and would instead opt for a device that will be maintained. If you like Palm devices, then check out the Palm Pre, their Web OS device with touch screen. I personally would recommend a Blackberry. They are rock solid in construction and support, and there is a massive community waiting to help you with any questions.

If you do choose to get a Blackberry for geocaching, remember Verizon Blackberries, except the Storm, lock the GPS for third party apps (crackberry.com has a post on how to fix thisP). If you choose ATT, the GPS in unlocked, but Blackberry Maps are not, but again, you can get around this. Just install Blackberry maps with the included desktop manager. Google JerryD's Blackberry software tracker to find the link to his post which contains the Blackberry Maps for ATT link.

I have a Blackberry Bold and I use the free, open source Blackstar paperless geocaching solution. With this app, I need no others and can Geocache entirely paperless and COMPUTERLESS!

Hope this helps. Good luck

After reading this thread last week I decided to go paperless. I bought a like new Palm M500 with accessories from eBay for about $46 shipped. It arrived Saturday. I installed CacheMate and used it Saturday and Sunday. Works great. I would have preferred to buy a new GPS that includes paperless geocaching, but for a budget solution I'm very happy.