Case

For anyone interested in a case for your Oregon that will go on your belt I have found 2 cases that fit the Oregon very nicely. Oregon must be removed to view but will protect your Oregon well. Both cases are not much larger than the GPS.

One is made by McGuire-Nicholas and is called the Cell Phone/2-Way Radio Holder. It has a stainless clip plus a nylon webbing loop, either can be attached to your belt. The inside of the case has a soft fabric; the sides of the case are expandable elastic. The case has a flap that comes over the top and secures with velcro to hold the GPS in, but the GPS goes all the way down in the case so falling out is not possible. Case is made out of Nylon and is black in color. McGuire-Nicholas model no. 656-770. Local Home Depot had on clearance for $3.00.

Second case is a soft nylon carrying case (Model no. LCS-CSQ) made by Sony for their Cyber-shot camera. Has a 2 way zipper for closure. Inside of case has a soft protective padding. Has a velcro flap pocket on outside that should hold 2 spare batteries. Has a nylon loop that belt would go through. Black in color. High quality case for the price of $12.97 at Walmart.

Garmin made a hard shell case that fits the Oregon and Colorado.

It opens on a hinge.

Either GPSr clips into the case and is available with the case partially open, or you can pull the GPSr from a velro retainer and get full access to it.

It's a bit chunky, but works week.

It has a belt hoop and also a quick release clip that is removable.

Edited by kevenh

I have the Garmin hard case for both my CO and OR and there's one thing I hate about it. The hinge is made of a cheap nylon strap that gets stuck to the velcro behind the clip. After you catch it a few times in the velcro it get all frayed and I'm sure eventually the hinge will go.

As a case it works well and seems to be very rugged, although for the size I wish it had a pocket or two.

I'm not aware of any case that allows you to see the screen. Foarm was indicating that they were going to make one for the OR like the CO model they sell on Amazon but so far no word on it yet.

For anyone interested in a case for your Oregon that will go on your belt I have found 2 cases that fit the Oregon very nicely. Oregon must be removed to view but will protect your Oregon well. Both cases are not much larger than the GPS.

One is made by McGuire-Nicholas and is called the Cell Phone/2-Way Radio Holder. It has a stainless clip plus a nylon webbing loop, either can be attached to your belt. The inside of the case has a soft fabric; the sides of the case are expandable elastic. The case has a flap that comes over the top and secures with velcro to hold the GPS in, but the GPS goes all the way down in the case so falling out is not possible. Case is made out of Nylon and is black in color. McGuire-Nicholas model no. 656-770. Local Home Depot had on clearance for $3.00.

Second case is a soft nylon carrying case (Model no. LCS-CSQ) made by Sony for their Cyber-shot camera. Has a 2 way zipper for closure. Inside of case has a soft protective padding. Has a velcro flap pocket on outside that should hold 2 spare batteries. Has a nylon loop that belt would go through. Black in color. High quality case for the price of $12.97 at Walmart.

I have the first case and it is ok.

I have tried several cases (not that you see thru though) and in my opinion the very best case that I have found thats fits the Oregon just like it was made for it is the Clip Case for the Magellan Explorist. I have been using one for awhile now and I couldn't ask for anything better. It does not have any additional pockets but that works for me because I prefer to carry my extra batteries in my backpack when on a hike.

:ph34r: When I read "still allows access to the screen?" I assumed a quick release connection didn't prohibit access to the screen.

After I saw g-o-cachers comment about the hinge, :) I have to confess I see that deteriation starting on my hinge.

Wish I hadn't read about that now :ph34r:

I'm going to a camping store on Thursday (Redwood Trading Post) that carries many of the Ripoffs line as well as some other brands. I'll be testing the fit of the Oregon and hopefully find a good padded model with a velcro flap and spring steel belt clip. I'll report back here on my findings.

Here's an online Ripoffs catalog: http://www.ripoffs.com/index.html

Well I went through all the models they had. I found one that fits, the CO-IQ. The fit is so close there isn't any room to grab onto the Oregon with your fingers, so to remove the GPS you need to first push up from the bottom.